New riding area

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for all you inconsiderate sledders who think tracking up heli runs is funny, laugh it up. When weigel and his unlimted cash lobbys the powers that be to close off areas such as the grail and north blue. The reality of the world is puplic opinion is against sledding, everything we do is under the microscope, we need to tread very lightly and share these areas or lose them.I rode the grail on the weekend, it was incredible, IT would be a shame to lose this area due to some peoples lack of respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

speedy#14

Reaction score
Thats a good point, we should track lightly. Actually I believe that a sled creates less pounds per square inch on the snow than skis do, but i could be wrong. Also I know for a fact that wigley has the rights to ski on 10 000 peaks in that area so i don't think sledders taking up a dozen of em is really gonna detriment his business. To be honest I don't support wigley in the slightest, he takes 10 million dollars worth of business out of that town every year and funnels it staight into his resort and pocket. The only ones out there supporting Blue River are us sledders, we use the stores, gas stations, hotels and supply the town with a source of income that keeps them afloat. Goodness, could you you imagine if wigley supported the town the way we do, how much better off they'd be.

deep blue

Reaction score
Scotts,

I agree that everyone must be considerate of one another up there. However I do think it is important to stake claim to these areas as well. Just because you have a tenure to make money doing a certain activity does not mean you can prohibit Public access to that area. I got into sledding originally for the purpose of accessing these areas for Snowboarding/ Noboarding. I have been to other tenures (ie. Cat skiing/boarding) and the operators had an attitude that the tenure is Crown Land. They had no intensions of blocking the public from accessing there areas. I think they also realize that attempting to do this is futile. Out of respect we didn't put sled tracks through there runs.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is plenty of room for everyone up there. And respect is a 2 way street.

If you feel passionate about continued access to these areas you should contact Tony at VARDA and see how you can get involved.

glacier mt lodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.glaciermountainlodge.com
You guys make very good points. The fact is it is crown land and the skiers have tenure to operate a commercial heli ski operation and not to exclude public access, having said this our local club works very hard at trying to share the back country without conflict it includes hundreds of hours of volunter time to go to meetings with government and the skiers working to reduce conflict. In the past two years there has been almost no conflict with MW or CMH and the local sled organizations Varda and Blue River Powder packers have gained alot of respect and credability with gov't and we are working at designating more areas,and any areas we explore and develop are done with consideration of the impacts we may have on skiers. the bigger fight or worry is wildlife closures (Caribou). My suggestion to all sleders is to try and inform yourselves as to where to ride avoid rumors and try and get the facts (Varda is a good resource) and don't go out and try to cause conflict with skiers, RESPECTING other users will ensure we are not viewed as lawless yahoos. Also support the local clubs in the area buy a membership donate we need all the help we can get. the community of Blue River truly thanks and appreciate all the business sledders bring to our area.

Thanks Bill

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt, caribou clouser is the largest threat to our alpine riding areas. I find it interesting tho that heli operations are still allowed to operate in these areas?
I dont think we can really fault MW for running a sucesfull bussines in blue river, He is mearly utilizing a renewable natural resorce, not taking millions from the local economy. He is running a business and running it well. Yes heli skiers have the choice of vast areas,but helicopter sking is essentialy a cargo business. Quick turn around times of cargo ie. skiers, results in greater profits. It just so happens that many of the areas we sledder,s ride in, that are accessible to us, are a short lift of cargo (heli skiers).
I belive caribou clouser supporters often happen to be the same ones in the cargo business.
All that being said my point is we as group of backcountry users need to be smart business people about what we do. Join clubs, pay trail fees, treat and speak to other backcountry users with respect as well as proteting the enviroment we all enjoy.

Top Bottom