need an affordable diet

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best way to save weight is by buying a 600 etec.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a can of some kind drop the big stock heavy muffler
check into slp i have their pipe on my 09 M8 and love the sound and power. unless this voids your warranty of course.

catgod

Reaction score
dont have much body wieght i could lose, 5'10 140# :p
what about those mesh hoods or just an intake kit, anybody know how much wieght those could save ?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
dont have much body wieght i could lose, 5'10 140# :p
what about those mesh hoods or just an intake kit, anybody know how much wieght those could save ?

Those mesh hoods are $1000 and lots of guys with too much money, IMHO, are running those in the Fernie area....

they probably make a difference on a Cat but the plastic fronts/hoods on the doos are quite light....

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty light sled already. Other than a can <unless you got money to burn>not much weight to lose. If you had money to burn you could just buy an M 8 or other big sled!!! I rode numerous 600,s over the years. Did all the tricks and mods to them. They all ripped for 600,s. I now ride an M 1000 and wish i had bought one years ago LOL !!!! So i say enjoy what you have and do what mods you can afford or if you can afford it upgrade. TT has some new 07,s for sale cheap!!
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/what-would-you-pay-50949.html

All the best Good Luck !!

Oh hello my sorta neighbor leadfoot33 !!

Last edited:

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a lexan hood from Menz Toys for around $150 I think. Also I'd take some of that foam out of the seat. I shaved about 3lbs off of mine.

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Replacing stock can -23lbs
swapping out the stock intake for a bdx intake - 8lbs ( easy and cheap )
removing excess idlers -2lbs ( only if u ride strictly mountains )
headlight deletes 2 -lbs
aftermarket pipe - 5 to 7 lbs
titanium bolts - 3lbs ( not worth the headache )
lexan hood -6 lbs ( they fit poorly in my experience )

im not sure what the weight savings would be, but switching to a set of fox floats would save you a couple pounds (6 maybe?) and you could probably find a used set kicking around for a couple hundred. plus they improve the handling of the cats tenfold

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those mesh hoods are $1000 and lots of guys with too much money, IMHO, are running those in the Fernie area....

they probably make a difference on a Cat but the plastic fronts/hoods on the doos are quite light....

Humbly disagree - built my own mesh hood for less than $200, takes some time to make it fit right, nothing else to do in the summer though :), weighs nothing and much easier to fix than a stock heavy piece of plastic. They're not just show peices for guys with too much money.... You can lose weight on the Rev's and XPs as well with mesh and also you get much better cooling (and you could also strengthen the front end up while you're at it but that's another thread). Mesh hoods make belts last longer by running cooler and motor/pipe stays cooler meaning more consistent running temps and a little bit more power as well.

As others have said - lost the suitcase muffler and the headlights unless you ride at night, taillight, snowflap, etc, anything else that is extra that can be taken off for free.

After that don't expect too much, its only a 600, just ride it and enjoy it.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Humbly disagree - built my own mesh hood for less than $200, takes some time to make it fit right, nothing else to do in the summer though :), weighs nothing and much easier to fix than a stock heavy piece of plastic. They're not just show peices for guys with too much money.... You can lose weight on the Rev's and XPs as well with mesh and also you get much better cooling (and you could also strengthen the front end up while you're at it but that's another thread). Mesh hoods make belts last longer by running cooler and motor/pipe stays cooler meaning more consistent running temps and a little bit more power as well.

As others have said - lost the suitcase muffler and the headlights unless you ride at night, taillight, snowflap, etc, anything else that is extra that can be taken off for free.

After that don't expect too much, its only a 600, just ride it and enjoy it.

I can see the advantages, particularly if you make it yourself.

All I was saying was that the $1000 they're asking in Fernie is a little steep for the advantages.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Here is a link to a thread on the 2008 M6 build we did.
We did not weigh every thing on a scale, but all of the modification we made have helped alot with the performance of the sled. :beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did this thread get off to taking weight off, you want an affordable diet right?

shheeet man do what we do, try road kill, cheap, fresh kills or just a day or two old. lots of cool reciepies and you never know what ya might get. :d

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Replacing stock can -23lbs
swapping out the stock intake for a bdx intake - 8lbs ( easy and cheap )
removing excess idlers -2lbs ( only if u ride strictly mountains )
headlight deletes 2 -lbs
aftermarket pipe - 5 to 7 lbs
titanium bolts - 3lbs ( not worth the headache )
lexan hood -6 lbs ( they fit poorly in my experience )

im not sure what the weight savings would be, but switching to a set of fox floats would save you a couple pounds (6 maybe?) and you could probably find a used set kicking around for a couple hundred. plus they improve the handling of the cats tenfold

^^^^ yup i agree and have just about all of this done to my m7.....but i would consider a lighter seat as well....Biggest bang for you buck would be to loose the stock can for a light one (MBRP!!) a 2010 cat/boss seat and a speedwerx snopro airbox right there your lookin 25 around pounds no prob....Is it worth the $700 bucks?? thats for you to decide...

IMHO and trust me on this (you sound like a "newer" "younger" rider) perhaps what 16? Ride it, have fun with it, use it, learn on it then go get your self a m7 or m8 you will drop alot of money into that machine b4 you will notice a difference and you will never be a big contender on the hill compared to a m8 or dialed 7 :)d)(NOT KNOCKIN THE M6 great machine looking for one for the GF) but sometimes one just has to start thinking where to draw the line and put that money into a new machine....

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^ yup i agree and have just about all of this done to my m7.....but i would consider a lighter seat as well....Biggest bang for you buck would be to loose the stock can for a light one (MBRP!!) a 2010 cat/boss seat and a speedwerx snopro airbox right there your lookin 25 around pounds no prob....Is it worth the $700 bucks?? thats for you to decide...

IMHO and trust me on this (you sound like a "newer" "younger" rider) perhaps what 16? Ride it, have fun with it, use it, learn on it then go get your self a m7 or m8 you will drop alot of money into that machine b4 you will notice a difference and you will never be a big contender on the hill compared to a m8 or dialed 7 :)d)(NOT KNOCKIN THE M6 great machine looking for one for the GF) but sometimes one just has to start thinking where to draw the line and put that money into a new machine....

Its an 11' m6 so there is no need for the crappy 10' cat/boss seat.... there is a reason they only had that seat one year cause it sucks, and yeah a can will make a big difference... MBRP being my choice as well, but yeah other than that just go trade it in on an m8...not a heavy m7 cause you'll just be starting back at square one again. I'd say the HP/weight ratio can't be much different from a stock 06' m7 to a 11' m6, couple in the better handling of the newer m6 and you have already got a better sled than an m7....... my two cents :d

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OUCH !! gettin personal are we?? a 6 is still a 6 2011 or older, its no secret that the m6's arnt known for there power, cat doesnt build them to be king of the hill cat builds them to be a great entry level sled. If you want power get a bigger sled plain and simple.

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

First off by putting a boss seat or new cat seat on and a different air intake you are deffinately not going to lose 25 pounds. And secondly maybe this guy just wants a lighter sled maybe chances are he doesnt highmark against 8's or 1000's if he wanted an m8 he most likely could afford one cause he has a pretty new sled [2011 m6] so if he wanted a bigger sled he very well could have bought a slightly used m8. He didnt ask what his next sled should be just how to lighten his up.

Top Bottom