Nafta Talks

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now this sorta surprised me.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/top...-the-united-states/ar-BBMIXrS?ocid=spartandhp

It appears Trump knows there is a problem in the US that has eaten up billions of dollars with no positive outcome so he is pretty sure that screwing up the Canadian system will fix their problem. I guess we all need to suffer together..
So if it has been so dire for for 35 years why haven't those dairy farms pivoted into different agribusiness?

Why do they continue the uphill battle?

Seems to me that the market is balanced..........

Or do alot of these guys just forget it's a business and just need to get out of bed at the crack of dawn and work 20 hours for the sake of working?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if it has been so dire for for 35 years why haven't those dairy farms pivoted into different agribusiness?

Or do alot of these guys just forget it's a business and just need to get out of bed at the crack of dawn and work 20 hours for the sake of working?
Probably the same reasons grain farmers fight year after year with drought, flood frost.... it's what they do.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some food for thought

Let’s try to clear the air a little. In all the press conferences, tweets, media reports, and assessments by various ‘experts’ it’s hard to keep track of reality.

1. NAFTA is still in force. Nothing has changed. The agreement has not expired or been altered.

1. Changing the terms of NAFTA, including US withdrawal, requires congressional approval.

1. The USA and Mexico cannot alter NAFTA without Canada’s consent.

1. The alleged bi-lateral deal between the US and Mexico is smoke. If it varies from NAFTA terms, NAFTA terms prevail.

1. Trump has given notice to congress that the US – Mexico terms of agreement will be presented for approval by September 29[SUP]th[/SUP].

1. Congress is unlikely to approve an agreement that does not include Canada. There are too many states that have Canada as their major export market.

1. Trump’s bluster, bullying, deadlines and threats are tactics to improve the US bargaining position and so far, are not working.

1. If Trump tries to withdraw from NAFTA, he still has to apply to congress for approval.

1. Even if Trump secures congressional approval to withdraw from NAFTA he must do so under NAFTA terms.

10. Norway (June), Russia (July) and China (August) have all applied to the World Trade Organization for dispute consultation in respect to US tariffs. It is unlikely that the tariffs will stand.

11. Current negotiations may or may not result in changes to NAFTA terms. Trump will not make final decisions on NAFTA terms – that is the role of the US congress.

For what it is worth, the only person yapping away about the trade talks is Trump and, as usual, he says he is winning even when that is not true. Things may not be as bleak as it appears though. Trump likes to try and establish what he asserts as the truth when it is at best an exaggeration and complete BS at worst. Congress still has to approve any deal and that will not happen before November elections. Even if the Republicans maintain a majority, there are plenty in the party that could disagree and not pass the deal.

BTW - the bankruptcy meme is just that...a meme. There have been 8 "major" bankruptcies that were in the billions of dollars mostly in the 90's. Like any accomplished con man, he makes sure he sucks as much liquidity out of the company before screwing his lenders and investors. Over 500 successful companies? Trump University and Trump Steaks were failures and closed rather than going into receivership and you can bet there were many more. And the lawsuits!

His successes have been as a commercial property owner and then mostly if he is not anything more than the landlord. Many of those companies were set up for licensing the Trump name and that brand is certainly tarnished. Even Ivanka had to shut her companies down.

I will give him that he he is persistent but he likes to proclaim success even when it is obvious to anyone who really looks that is not actually the case. North Korea is a pretty good example. He has give Kim Jong a significant degree of legitimacy and received nothing in return. Still winning though.

He is kind of a train wreck. Train cars keep piling up long after the engine is in the ditch and stopped.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you do know that Trump almost lost everything back in the 90's and the only thing that saved his a$$ was that he owed so much to the banks that it was in their best interest to work with him instead of making ten cents on the dollar. if it were you and I we we would have lost EVERYTHING.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
market is far from balanced in the US. The only thing keeping a lot of these farms afloat is government bail outs.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The left hates trump I get that but he in a different way is no bigger an idiot than Trudeau. Trudeau today says he won’t sign nafta unless he can secure cultural identity, includiing Canadian media, wtf you can’t make crap like this up.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't disagree that both countries ahve opposite sides of the same crazy coin. Heads is stoopid right and tails is stoopid left. Having said that, Trump is the one who started a trade war with Canada when they (the US) had an overall trade surplus in Canada/US. Quite a dick move. He won't be happy until he has our lunch money.

The left hates trump I get that but he in a different way is no bigger an idiot than Trudeau. Trudeau today says he won’t sign nafta unless he can secure cultural identity, includiing Canadian media, wtf you can’t make crap like this up.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am far from a left fan but I do hate trump.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Secure a cultural identity, i thought Trudeau said we never had a culture to secure. Well maybe he is referring to protecting his tax payer funded 1.5 billion CBC network. That way they can continue spewing off bullsh!t so morons keep voting for him. Anyone care to admit who was stupid enough to vote for this guy?

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CBC was formed in 1936 and is what it always was: A broadcasting organization to provide an alternative to US broadcasting. Trudeau is just the latest in a long list of PM's who have either left the organization alone or manipulated it since it was originally created by the conservative government led by R. B. Bennet. Plenty of sources for information/entertainment now unlike when it was started so go enjoy those because it doesn't look like it is going away anytime soon by any government liberal or conservative.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/canadian-broadcasting-corporation/

Secure a cultural identity, i thought Trudeau said we never had a culture to secure. Well maybe he is referring to protecting his tax payer funded 1.5 billion CBC network. That way they can continue spewing off bullsh!t so morons keep voting for him. Anyone care to admit who was stupid enough to vote for this guy?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right from the horses ass.

"It is inconceivable to Canadians that an American network might buy Canadian media affiliates, whether it's newspapers or TV stations or TV networks. It would be a giving up of our sovereignty and our identity and that is something that we will simply not accept," Trudeau told reporters during a transit announcement in Vancouver Tuesday.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right from the horses ass.

"It is inconceivable to Canadians that an American network might buy Canadian media affiliates, whether it's newspapers or TV stations or TV networks. It would be a giving up of our sovereignty and our identity and that is something that we will simply not accept," Trudeau told reporters during a transit announcement in Vancouver Tuesday.

Attachments

• 9689A43C-FCD7-41D1-8E69-7E8AE058A9B6.jpeg
    9689A43C-FCD7-41D1-8E69-7E8AE058A9B6.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 158

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe our loser pm can buy the cbc since hes so fond of pissin our money away
and then loosen the communication strings so we can watch what we want and get some cheaper cel phone plans
crtc has way to much power here

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is what it is. Just pointing out that it was started by a conservative government and has survived through every conservative government since then. X-It seemed to be inferring that it was Trudeau's personal baby and that is no more so than any other government. Incidentally, they have always been left leaning as long as I can remeber which is quite a while.

A little late for the breeding part and I will continue to vote. No need to behave like an ass.

C’mon , if you can’t see that the CBC is a lefty Shiitepile there is no hope. Stop breeding and voting.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So regarding NAFTA there seems to be cautious optimism for Canada's position now, we're holding our ground on retaining the Dispute Resolution clause and hinting there may be some wiggle room on dairy supply management.. Now that Trumps bluster over "Friday Deadline" has passed it seems cooler heads are prevailing.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our team of lactose intolerant people, negotiating Softwood lumber, not having a clue what species that is. Maybe they will get a deal to grow gluten free wheat.

Top Bottom