my 2013-14 season an epic fail!!!!

css

Reaction score
Well I just thought I would share the details of my loser season so far and hope others will chime in with theres and we can all have some good laughs. So Second week dec head to revelstoke, a 1300km one way drive for me, bend 3 spindles on my pro rmk but that I really can't complain about when you try to ride before there is enough snow to do so safely. Our second trip is just after Christmas, have two awesome days of riding then at the end of the second day my friends dad breaks his arm really bad( see broken bone in backcountry thread) and we rushed back to sask so he could go for surgery. End of Jan do another trip to revelstoke. the snow was extremely hard but hey it was still better than working but I ended up getting food poisoning after the first day of riding, tried riding the next two days but being unable to eat for two days I was so weak I could barely start my sled let alone ride it. Then our last trip here feb 14 was our BIG trip for the winter with 10 days of riding planned in revelstoke for 5 days then west yellowstone for another 5. Get to Revy just in time for the big snow storm to settle for a few days. First day out the deepest day of my life on sale mountain, armpit deep pow, but I hit a bump funny and sprained my left foot and have to go back to regina for a Ct scan after one day of riding. I left my sled and trailer with my friends who were there till friday so I didn't have to worry about pulling it home by myself. So with the season going the way it is and after putting on over 12000kms on my truck to ride for 7 days, plus all the hotel and food bills it turned out to be one very expensive season with minimal miles. Even when my foot does heal I am gonna be so paranoid to go on a trip wondering what else can go wrong. Not sure if I should call it quits for the season and wait and start over next year lol. Lets hear some other tough luck stories. thanks

Last edited:

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can all agree that you're not having a stellar season...........
The kilometer to fun ratio was extemely low for that trip.
Food poisoning is awful, had some chicken wings at Chicago O'Hare Airport, followed by the worst three days ever.
Hopefully the jinx is over, and you get in an awesome spring ride.
Good Luck ! ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: css

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's just bad luck right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years back I broke down 13 trips in a row. All different things also. 5 of the breakdowns I could still see my truck. I go to revy every Thursday. 700 km each way plus staging km. more than 20,000 km. that was the season I decided to go 4 stroke the next year.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three weeks ago I haul both my wife's sled and mine out for her first ride of the season. Hers fires up right away but wouldn't you know it mine just won't start. Drive all the way back home without riding.....but it was only a 5 minute drive. I love living this close to the snow! :)

Ya, your season sucks so far!

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh yes. The self pity thread. THIS is something I can get in on! Haha.

The short version: Woe-is-me.

The long version:
Well, I kicked off my season with such high hopes. I'd done lots of overdue maintenence to my old war horse. I'd been hitting the gym all year and feeling better and stronger than I have in ages. I was stoked on snow and driving anyone who would listen nuts with my grand delusions of a phenominal season and how much of a winter slaying monster I was destined to be.

Finally the snow came. With barely enough in the fields to cover the dirt let alone rocks and other debris I was off like a shot. My REV was running better than ever and I was STOKED to be heading west. First trip out west was after Revelstoke got their epic dump early on in the season. I'd never been and it was awesome. Regardless of the lowest vis I'd ever ridden in. Regardless of 6'+ of powder my trench-mobile had no intentions of riding through. The second day we rode Quartz and while the main areas were totally smashed to hardpack that would probably pass for most of Sask highway...we found some fun and even managed to get stuck about a million times each (or maybe just me). But by the end of the weekend I was totally worn out like only a 1st trip of the season in the mountains can make a guy feel. Wondering just why I liked this stupid hobby so much.

Early season brought much snow to the flat lands of home and man was it a blast. Had many a good weekend and over the Christmas end of December I was riding every day for a week playing tour-guide to my friends and family. About this time the recoil in my sled piled up, so for a day or two I was starting it via "Ye Olde Pullrope" method. No biggie. Ordered a new recoil and slapped it in just in time for my second (and looks like) last trip to the moutains this season.

We rocked into Fernie late on a friday night looking forward to all the snow that had been falling and for a couple of our (myself included) first time in Fernie. Saturday morning we made it up to the cabin in record time (my record, nobody elses haha) in fact we had the only tracks up to Wrangler minus one set that had b-lined it to the Pipeline. A friend's M8 decided this was a good time to eat his reeds and he had to spend the day in the cabin. Despite the craziest wind in the Pipeline we found some deep fresh snow and made it our bitch (and got stuck a lot). By the end of the day my brand new recoil had appeared to pile-up so I was back to the pull-strap method. The next day we blasted up to the cabin again and by the time got there my sled had decided it wasn't having any of this "fun" biz-naz and I ended up getting towed off the mountain.

Which brings me to today. I've spent the month between then and now trying to trouble-shoot my machine. I *think* I may have it figured but right about now I'm kinda feeling like maybe I should pack it in for the season and start on my cars. The snow out here sucks and I have lots to do on my summer rides.

Plus the fuel pump in my pickup crapped out yesterday in the Taco Bell drive-thru. A guy just can't win.

Although...sounds like I shoudn't whine too much cause you haven't exactly had a great season man...sorry to hear it.

Tiny pro-x

Reaction score
My season started last nov 15 at fell off a machine at work broke my right tibula bone in to couple pieces next day waiting for surgery
to put plate at 15 screws while in hospital it start snowing and I haven't any thing since nov 25 when I got out of the hospital

Last edited:

kgb117

Reaction score
I did my first trip of the season past month. Got about 15clicks in when my sled started puking oil. Still not sure where it came from as I haven't had time to rip it apart. I read somewhere on here that it could b the oil injector pump but we'll have to wait and see

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started working on my xm oct 31. Dropped it off at a shop to have turbo installed. Took a perfectly awesome stocker got a dud back. sled wont rev over 5000rpm. Shop owner said to my face "hows that my problem your sled dont run now" So I paid and left. Probably shouldnt have but guess im a push over. So now i"ve spent over $4000 trying to figure out wtf he did to it. been to three shops, been on buds five different times now. No codes nothing wrong. rebuilt everything. bought tonnes of new parts sensors.. blah blah blah now its feb 20 and still havent rode one km on it.. Awesome! so now i have a $20000.00 pos.. what next?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started working on my xm oct 31. Dropped it off at a shop to have turbo installed. Took a perfectly awesome stocker got a dud back. sled wont rev over 5000rpm. Shop owner said to my face "hows that my problem your sled dont run now" So I paid and left. Probably shouldnt have but guess im a push over. So now i"ve spent over $4000 trying to figure out wtf he did to it. been to three shops, been on buds five different times now. No codes nothing wrong. rebuilt everything. bought tonnes of new parts sensors.. blah blah blah now its feb 20 and still havent rode one km on it.. Awesome! so now i have a $20000.00 pos.. what next?
ouch......

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

anchor1.jpg

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

what kit did you go with or lack there of? haha

edit: I'd like to know what shop you went to. Send me a PM?

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really dont wanna say anything but if your from edmonton and read my other whiny posts you will know what kit and who did it.. If and when i figure it out if its his doing i will have to talk to a lawyer.. The two hundred diffferent people that i have told the story to cant believe it and say he should be stepping up and doing his part to figure out the problem.. Oh and hes a site sponsor..

css

Reaction score

That sucks, thanks for sharing your story

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread. In the last 10 years, I bent an axle and had to be towed out of Elkford. Last weekend my Cat would not start for about an hour in the staging area. I guess the smooth road into Grande Prairie really flooded the engine. I have nothing to complain about, and I know it.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya what was suppose to be a good year of riding turned in to not much so far. After a month holiday In Aus the 31st of dec was first day back to work, took kids to fireworks that night. Seen some sleds in the ditch on the way home and got horny for a rip after being away from the snow. Anyway one BRAPPPPPP to many turned into 20 ft launch about 15 ft drop flat landing in the ditch. Didn't realize how bad it was till two attempts to stand up but right leg just gave out, had to crawl to my sled still running thank F thought my leg was broken but no pain yet pure adrenaline flowing started to ride home, half way could barely hang on to my bars left hand killing me but keep going . I get home and in the garage laying on the floor wife strips my gear off so they don't cut it off in hospital, she feels my leg Ok but she says I can't feel your knee cap ! Turns out hit my knee so hard on my bars broke the cap in half laterally top half was almost 6" up in my thigh, as for the hand my helmate visor disintegrated on landing impact with hand . Epic fail fore sure but still have hope for a trip to the mountains this year, as for the sled bent steering post and cracked hood no big deal. Worst part missed New Years stat pay

Top Bottom