membership question....

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, but did you know, you can buy a dual mountain pass to big white and silverstar. Thats were the idea came from.
You used to be able to. Don't think you can anymore. The Schuman family from Australia used to own both mountains. Believe that is history as well. The elder Mr. Schuwman I heard passed away last year. Apparently Silver Star is under new ownership within the past couple of years. When it was one family owning both destinations there wasn't a management problem with how the revenue was divided up. All went in the same pot. No longer available because too hard to manage with two separate owners, just like snowmobile clubs. Accept it guys, you have to pay to play. Other avenues to save riders cash but still earn enough revenue to keep clubs afloat have been explored. I love volunteering for my club and doing more than my fair share but...I'm not about to start paying for fuel for the groomer out of my own pocket because some riders are too cheap to pay their own way. (I'm not directing this at anyone in particular so please don't take offense) I'm getting sick of comments from riders that seem to indicate a belief that clubs are lying when they say that they need the money to manage and maintain our riding areas. Where do people think the money is going anyway?

Last edited:

John Cambell

Reaction score
You used to be able to. Don't think you can anymore. The Newman family from Australia used to own both mountains. Believe that is history as well. The elder Mr. Newman I heard passed away last year. Apparently Silver Star is under new ownership within the past couple of years. When it was one family owning both destinations there wasn't a management problem with how the revenue was divided up. All went in the same pot. No longer available because too hard to manage with two separate owners, just like snowmobile clubs. Accept it guys, you have to pay to play. Other avenues to save riders cash but still earn enough revenue to keep clubs afloat have been explored. I love volunteering for my club and doing more than my fair share but...I'm not about to start paying for fuel for the groomer out of my own pocket because some riders are too cheap to pay their own way. (I'm not directing this at anyone in particular so please don't take offense) I'm getting sick of comments from riders that seem to indicate a belief that clubs are lying when they say that they need the money to manage and maintain our riding areas. Where do people think the money is going anyway?

Yes, I just read this is true. Just happened this year that silverstar and bigwhite split because of change.

By what i remember when I used to snowboard years ago, and what it seem to read today, that ski Pass holders get 25% all other hills in the general area of bc. This would be nice to work with all snowmobile clubs in bc as an option to do the same. Pay full price for your area, and get a discount on day passes every where else for showing your pass. Instead of $20, maybe 10 or 15. Seems like a good idea.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just read this is true. Just happened this year that silverstar and bigwhite split because of change.

By what i remember when I used to snowboard years ago, and what it seem to read today, that ski Pass holders get 25% all other hills in the general area of bc. This would be nice to work with all snowmobile clubs in bc as an option to do the same. Pay full price for your area, and get a discount on day passes every where else for showing your pass. Instead of $20, maybe 10 or 15. Seems like a good idea.
Seems like a good idea for the rider. Loss of revenue for the clubs. Clubs can't afford to absorb any more expenses especially with the price of diesel what it is now, the cost to operate goes up every year.

John Cambell

Reaction score
Seems like a good idea for the rider. Loss of revenue for the clubs. Clubs can't afford to absorb any more expenses especially with the price of diesel what it is now, the cost to operate goes up every year.

Not to keep hammering on the idea, and I promise after this I won't say no more lol, but it may not be that big of loss of revenue. As a customer, when I buy my pass, I do hesitate to go explore other areas because of having to pay a full trail fee, on top of my already bought pass. Sometimes, funny as it is, a savings of $5 or $10 ($15 instead of $20) might encourage people to go try other places that otherwise they wont. Not really a big loss of revenue if you look at it this way.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to keep hammering on the idea, and I promise after this I won't say no more lol, but it may not be that big of loss of revenue. As a customer, when I buy my pass, I do hesitate to go explore other areas because of having to pay a full trail fee, on top of my already bought pass. Sometimes, funny as it is, a savings of $5 or $10 ($15 instead of $20) might encourage people to go try other places that otherwise they wont. Not really a big loss of revenue if you look at it this way.
Every time I am at the trailhead taking my turn collecting for trail passes, I have to listen to people just like you. Never wanting to pay a fair price for anything. As has been said before in this thread go out and join a club , get involved, learn what it takes in time and money to run a club and maintain the trails you enjoy. ONLY then will you understand what it could mean to cut rates or give discounts.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I understand what you're saying John. I think clubs are honestly scared to take a chance on anything that has any possibility of hurting revenues. It's hard to make ends meet. You could be right that it may not hurt revenues but it's a big risk to stick your neck out and not have it work out. :beer:

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One good idea, and I am talking about BC, since i live in the Okanagan would be to have a slightly higher fee, but be able to use a few of the areas, example, Kelowna, being able to use greystokes, hunters range, revelstoke, or maybe an all of bc pass. I don't know how easy this would be, obviously all clubs would have to work together to achieve this. Definatly something id be interested in. Thats why I sometimes don't feel the value, because I like to explore different part of my surrounding area, and they are all fairly close to one another. I would be willing to pay a higher fee, for a multi type pass

i think thats a great idea it would have to be pricy im sure but would get more members mayby a south pass a noth pass could work will never happen but a great idea none the less

Poocandoo

Reaction score
i think thats a great idea it would have to be pricy im sure but would get more members mayby a south pass a noth pass could work will never happen but a great idea none theless
For years BC clubs had the BCSF (40+ yrs) working for all the clubs. But as with any orginization there are always people who feel they are above the elected mandate. Thus we have another orginization called ABC. (5 yrs?) This group has split the snowmobile community. All BCSF clubs, ie: Revelstoke, Kelowna, Cranbrook and others pay a percentage of the their club membership and trail passes to them. Pretty hard to get Hunters range ( ABC I think ? ) to put their dollar into implementing a North/South, multi club mebership fee, not paying into same coffer. There is strengh in numbers, but only if it is "ONE" army.

John Cambell

Reaction score
Ya, I understand what you're saying John. I think clubs are honestly scared to take a chance on anything that has any possibility of hurting revenues. It's hard to make ends meet. You could be right that it may not hurt revenues but it's a big risk to stick your neck out and not have it work out. :beer:

For sure.

Donegal-BCSF

Reaction score
Website
www.bcsf.org
I am pretty sure that the BCSF clubs do provide a trail pass discount for members of other BCSF clubs. For example if I buy a membership in my home club Similkameen and travel to say Revelstoke I show my BCSF trail pass and receive a discount. Please correct me if I am wrong.

jackinthebox

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the BCSF clubs do provide a trail pass discount for members of other BCSF clubs. For example if I buy a membership in my home club Similkameen and travel to say Revelstoke I show my BCSF trail pass and receive a discount. Please correct me if I am wrong.
A few years ago you did.It is no longer an accepted discount..Correct me if im wrong.

Donegal-BCSF

Reaction score
Website
www.bcsf.org
I have sent out a request to some of my clubs to see what the actual discount answer is and will post them here as I receive them. This will only pertain to BC Snowmobile Federation (BCSF) Clubs where you have a membership in another BCSF club. For a list of BCSF clubs please go to BCSF | British Columbia Snowmobile Federation and click on clubs then listing. If you are an executive from your club and know the answer for your club feel free to add to this thread.

Top Bottom