Lost in the West

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, much of it is shut down these days. Just the very odd sections were open a few years ago.

I have to check what areas are once we get out there, no open areas close to any towns for sure.

Buddy will guide us to logging areas if the KVF is off limits, Bear Lake was always a good area back in the day, but now closed for ohv use.

We spent years fishing and hiking the area, lots of mountain biking 6 years ago.

I use 2 other forums for out there, but not good to post it here with out permission.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will dig out some old pictures this week.

That would be awesome Arff, I only have a few from my days of the KVR.

I found out that Bear Creek trail has "limited" access along its trail, the plan is to check it out before hand "making sure" it is ok to ride.
Many riding areas have changed over the years.

Long time friends who live there have kept us up to-date each year, big plus on their part.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should join us a group (which i have not met yet) are going from Horburg to Nordegg on the old railline ( or as close as possible) on June 11 weekend. Leaving trucks in Horburg staying in Nordegg hotel, then returning next day. I will be the tour guide as i have done the trip many times and in certain spots now of more than one way to go.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should join us a group (which i have not met yet) are going from Horburg to Nordegg on the old railline ( or as close as possible) on June 11 weekend. Leaving trucks in Horburg staying in Nordegg hotel, then returning next day. I will be the tour guide as i have done the trip many times and in certain spots now of more than one way to go.

I'll keep that in mind hadster, not sure of my work thing since its on & off this year. We normally stay in our truck cabs on crown lands by the river or creeks and ride from there.

Best to put our funds into sleeping for free, bon-fire lunches at grocery store prices, and pack our own fuel to prevent us from returning to city lights. I'm about to up-load a 4 day ride that was out west in 4 different areas covering 200 kms by truck and 350 + kms by quad and no stops at any towns or cities.

When bush whacking days come, she full boar lakes, rocks, and tress. Had 4 of the best sleeps in self contained pick-up with Russian snow baths that are taking some getting use too. Ha Ha. "Might be the age thing setting in." Still spend my summers swimming Abraham Lk as most folks can barely stick their foot in the water for 10 seconds.

Thanks for the heads up hadster as we'll keep the offer open when the date gets closer.

Pal Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
March 25th to 28th. 2016 Easter Bunny Ride

Headed out West to ride local area for half the day as my pal Wild 1 was showing up with group of OHV brothers and sisters for a Saturday outing on the 26th. Had time to big bon-fire the night away.

Got the bad boy fired-up before the sun set.

So relaxing with the wolves and black bears that are now stirring.

Had the steam train fired up as it kooled off as the sun went down.

Next morning on the 26th was Alder Flats with Team Wild Ones. Ha.

A little cloudy with forecast into the + teens threw through the day.

Photo op time along the trail. Many cut-lines in all directions out there.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome bunch of folks to visit with as we game plan on finding the Easter Bunny.

WOW, talk about global warming,,, Oh yha...

Studded traction bitters, and good for making rabbit tracks for the rest of us to follow. Ha.

Found a nice creek to stop at to relax before having bon-fire lunch.

Creeks are hold lot of ice, next few weeks or a month will open things up.

Main river is flowing free.

If I get voted in, I heard I get a free flag for my little Onda. More of a caution flag if any thing.

Hummmmm. The Wild Ones have found an Easter Egg or !!! Ha.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shes some sweet, hope when I get older/// middle aged that I find one of these.

Window wiper with sprayer for sure.

We cheeked out the trail beyond, too much snow to continue on this trail, so the plan was to return to a better spot for lunch.

The end of a smoky dogs was lose, so we fixed it up. Ha.

Off to the next area.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wild Ones Away.

Oh, It's snow ball time.

I know its belt drive, but this would be second gear in a old rust Ford pick-up truck.

And this is 3rd gear in a VW Bug. Ha.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big thanks to Wild 1 and his crew of like-minded riders for letting me in on the Easter Bunny ride at Alder Flats, seen another area I over looked from many outing there.

Good times, friends, and weather adds to the best of any adventure that comes or way.

More to post on the 27th, 28th ride latter tonight.

Pal Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a fun day. Got pretty muddy down to the river.

You tell me since I was on a little Onda that don't float.

My eyes were as big Cantaloupes when I come out of the tress to see Huge Dinosaur Track holes all over the place, next thing that happened was tail lights going full bore threw them as I was left behind to plot my sketchy crossing of "Who's tracks do I follow. Ha. Too funny as everyone of you folks picked different lines as mud was flying in every direction... Lots of mud...

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got lucky to catch the Blue Bridge Ride that after-noon that is along the Eastern Slopes, cut-lines were not happening since there is still a-lot of snow on them.

Bucket over Pumpkin ride, but sun-glasses were pretty spotty.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stayed on lease roads checking out Mountain top look-outs.

Its a long road from km 0 to 60 if I recall. One-way in and out.

Trees were shinny green, lots of rolly mounds of them in this area.

If you spot these in the distance, well worth the ride to see what they over look.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a blast taking in the sights for free.

This was taken from the second Mountain out-look. One can see all the rolly hilss from the road in as well.

It would take a good day to cross over top of one by foot, the larger ones that is.

Mad Trapper's Cabin.

One needs to pay attention to all corners

Or you get your name on a tree for free.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the 3rd out-look at the very end of this road/ range from this side.

If you want to see the other side of this Mountain, it is easier to access it threw the Nat. Park.

This is viewing SS/W'erly looking down the range of Mountains.

This is Viewing WW/N'erly towards Jasper. Many miles from picture to Jasper town. To far to walk in a day. Ha.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
March 27th. 2016 Easter Bunny Ride Part 2 or 3

Returned here once again to check out the cut blocks since they are hwy's after the seismic units passed threw. If you find the E-nook-Shook with the missing head, then your close to the area.

Tunnel threw the walls lead to a new land.

Smooth like the belly of a Beaver.

End-less miles of cut-blocks and old growth forests that will need clearing in the next few years. Nothing like having more OHV areas.

Best viewing of the wild to-date, plan on riding with pals over the following years in this play ground.

Greenery at its best.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way out in the middle of the cut block is another hole in the forest that leads to a old time trail that was protected by forestry. Now how kool is that !
I call it "Old Growth Island all on its own.

Kinda like a Grizzly Bear trap for OHV users passing threw.

2nd Island is the head waters of trail.

Drove the old trail till it ended with shaded in cut-line of remaining snow, did a back track for now till next week run in there.

Was surprised how far that trail runs, and I'm sure I was at the farthest end of it a month ago. (IGS) Indian Guiding System tells me so.

Don't know where the time went, but it didn't matter since adventure comes at its own pace. Time to relax at every turn, glassing for furry critters, and enjoying the day. Can't wait for the creek fishing to open as it will add more to longer after-noon naps with line in the water as I snooze under the shade of a tree. "one eye open for big furry gophers" if you catch the pun !!!

Pal Lem of being lost since its the doctors orders.

Top Bottom