Lost in the West

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you come across any spring bears out of their dens yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Bears in my view, but another group spotted one a few weeks ago.

Came across some Wolf and Bear tracks. Warm weather will bring them out early.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
March 28th. 2016 Easter Bunny Ride

We call this area "Black Mud."
It was not a place to recreation ride since the quads back then struggled form continues rides across the wet-lands, this can be seen today more then ever since there are spots I would not attempt on my little unit. Ha Ha.
Good area for big tires and lost of HP. A few winches would be handy.
The area really opened up since it was 20 + years ago when we road here. I'd class it as 1 of the top 20 outings after re-visiting it. This was the big pipe-line, much bigger I see.

It looks flat like a pan-cake, don't be fouled since there are 5 massive ravines with muskeg by-passes. Not a place for small units or youngers as they are challenging to maneuver around to dry ground. The frost is about done, so no return till fall.

It's a long ways to the end that is connected by 7 options of different areas.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I'm ridding here today, as it looks crappy to the N/W.

2 other pipe-lines in the lower Valley.

It was easy going up Big T, but the back side was snowed in.

I found a long trail East, and what a view it was since it needed logging many years ago. Glad to see more ride area here.

The tail end of the 2 rivers meet down there, but not on the trail I was on.

This is the top ridge trail that leads to the 1 river up stream.

This is looking back to where we left form, glad we cross this ravine in the easy section. It's some steep down there.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is a crossing mid-way, but not for us on the smaller units since we did not want to chain up for drifted in snow pack down below.

Found the North River of the Pie, The other one is to the South of here.

Looking Easterly down stream.

One can see a cut-line on right hand side of pan-view. It can be accessed from jumping onto the top of the Pie way West of here.

Looking SS/W.

Ridge looking down at River.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found a closer place to get photo of River from Ridge.

Only a few downed trees need removing. Easy task for the 2 of us.

This is 1 of the 2 accesses to lower plateau.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking up-stream.

There's that Cut-line.

This is the second route to the lower basin, a bit tight for quads with not much room for SxS's. Hemmed in pretty good in 2 spots.

Easy going up top.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers, good plan on riding here and not over there. Ha. Snow squalls rolling in and out all day over there.

Yup, good call all right.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dam computer keeps kicking me out, so I'll load the last photos later tonight.

ADS/ Vintage meet and greet at Lacombe Tim's any-who. Ha. Might even get some pics of the Motley Crew. Hope Grizzly Bear rider is there. Ha Ha. A man of a million stories.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back tracked to Power Line, she's some muddy in low areas.

This where the by-pass switch backs start, there is 4 more like it as we descend down-ward to lower basin.

This is the 3rd and the other 2 are less aggressive to reach the River.

Nice View looking Westerly.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This blue ice looks the same as the 2nd trial ice we encountered when leaving the River basin a few post back, it some frozen for a while till the warm temps get at it. Boxed in good with shade from tress on both sides.

We crossed over to other side to run into a dead-end wall of ice/ snow on the North/ East facing side of hill that stopped us in our tracks.

That pretty much rapped up the Easter Bunny Ride as we plan for the next outing with a bit more distance.

Pal Lem taking what comes as a gift that is enjoyed by those that wander. OHV season is a go.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where we go is where we want to be !

Over the few years on earth I have encountered folks asking me where the best of all areas are through out North America, I find it hard picking 1 or 1000 since there are so many twists & turns that each of us are looking for.

My wording ain't the best, as its nice to use the term "we apposed to I," life is a venture that we share in. Public forums even make it more so as the story goes !!!

I found a kool area to ride that had thousands of trails, roads, pipe & slash lines as well as cut blocks that ranged for 25 miles in all directions.
I posted the ride for all to travel, explore, and enjoy,,, only to find out that it did not fit a "few" folk's idea of what they were looking for. Right fully so as each person wants stuff that fits them.

"I" my self try to find areas that give me the West Virginia Appalachia Ridge. Kentucky Blue Ridge Mountains. The Mississippi Black Hawk Park Swamp Lands. Florida Sand Pits by Ohcala.
Arizona Rocky Ravines with wash outs. Black-Hills rolly tress topped Mountains. Vast expanses of pasture lands that joins thick forest. Wyoming & Nebraska creeks with green spring grasses growing along the banks.

Towering snow capped peaks with rain filled clouds, or sunny days with a blue skies. Most of this I find close to home with limited travels.

This is how "I" travel so "we" can share in the dream or passion of what is out there. Each person(s) finds what they are looking for by packing a camera to snap photos, load into a host-site to post on the Forum.

The best rides are where I end up, just as good here as over there.
The wild turkey does not think of going there if the pickings are ok where he/she is, perhaps this is something that "we" can learn from a bird that what is in front of us is as good as its going to get,,, un-less there is a chance "I/we" are going to be eaten by a furry critter. Ha.

I said at one time that I liked this ride better then that one since it wasn't raining, then I got thinking that it was ok to catch crappy ride days so I could enjoy what is supposed to be the better ones. How would we know un-less we spend count-less years practicing these skills on a ever changing planet.

Best rides are riding days. Pal Lem as cold African rains are soon to follow.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
April 1st to 4th. 2016 Ride

Its a game changer season for me as the light weight dual sport bike days rap-up now that I've racked up 2000 plus kms on the quad in the last month.
This is the last ride for the drz as it heads to a new home.

Been a good bike for 4 years running.

I was waiting for my riding bud to show, so I took the time to check out the old school house from years gone by.

It won't be long before Papa Earth reclaims it.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We didn't get much time for photo stops on the first day, but most areas on this ride are the same area I've been to before on earlier posts as above.
This is one of our S&M brothers MXOldtimer on his wife's Yammy,,, Ha. Been long time pals over 5 years now.

Hard to imagine that I was crossing this water way a few weeks ago, looks like spring has sprung !

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, best rides are he ones your on! some like to blast down trails at mach chicken, some all day n a mud hole, some never get off a gravel road, some never go farther than the end of the driveway. best ride is to get out and explore see some country, share with friends.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apr 2nd. 2016

Now the fun begins for MX and Len at an area I've never been to before. Burel Sand dunes.
Oh yha baby. Bring on the good times.

MX took me in the easy way since my unit is packing an awesome 16 hp to the ground. Ha.

When I followed him into this pocket, I was thinking that this stuff is way to easy to get around in, then he told me that this was a warm up area so he could judge how my unit was going to run back there.

I thought he mentioned that his unit has 22 hp, Hummmmm. I pretty sure he was pulling my leg on that story !!!

The door way to fun land.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, best rides are he ones your on! some like to blast down trails at mach chicken, some all day n a mud hole, some never get off a gravel road, some never go farther than the end of the driveway. best ride is to get out and explore see some country, share with friends.

/\ /\ /\ Big plus to that saying brother.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MX visited this area 40 plus years ago, its really opened up over through those years with more nooks and crannies for all to ride.

And away we go !

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uppers, I'm sure MX's unit is more then 22 hp. Ha.

Wholy Can-am crap bat-man. I think I'm out gunned on this ride... Oh,,, I forgot that I need to open the carb more.

Always time for a "Selfy" well the dust clears. Ha.

Left over Polaris parts, but I could be wrong !

Now this sand is softer then the test hole we check out first.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We came across more riders as we move along, this was good since the bikes put down tracks of where not to ride the quads. There are drifts that just don't work for 4 wheels, good to know this as it ain't much fun if I was to pick the wrong lines,,, lots of thinking going up or down.

It was an honor to watch the youngers preform at this play ground, and can they ride.

Top Bottom