Lost in the West

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All is good today as I put together my extra rigging supplies for quading.

Extra winch line, snatch-block, nylon-slings, extra hook ends, clevis-shackles and larger chain links for attaching cable-ends if needed.

Snatch-Block will stay on full time since the cheap 2500 lb warn winch is not as strong as rated, and it is easier on the motor and gears even though it runs the motor longer,,, at half the energy mind you.

My other 4 quads were rigged up the same way and never burnt up a winch on any of them in all those years.

Had a chance 6 years ago to retrieve a 2200 lb SxS that floated down stream 200 meters with 6 foot banks, so it easily winched it up stream with out any problems. Had my 350cc quad strapped to a tree on that pull. Ha Ha.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any winch is rated at 2500 lbs with only one layer on the drum. Every layer you put on significantly reduces pulling power.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head D-Fix.

Motor runs smoother, last longer, and easier on the gears.

Takes twice as long to get others or my self out of a pickle, but sure saves on wear and tear.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mar 19th. 2016 Quad Fever

I had the chance to watch

on TV, or head out quading as normal. Pretty easy picking between the 2 since there will be real time fishing very soon here in Alberta.
So pack mule was loaded as normal for a fast get away West.

Found another bear hunting camp waiting to go into action in the next while.

Pipe line 3 has always been good for finding bears since dandelions seem to bring the furry critters early with the angle of sun light. found a few old bait barrels left over from last year.

The picture does no justice to the lone spruce in the group of poplar trees, greenery on its way.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of Squirrels this year, little guys are pretty fast to get a clear picture of. Ha.

Ended up checking out the Elk pasture, glad to see that very few have been riding it.

Scenery was spectacular with the sun shining, +7c that turned into +17c by after-noon.

Most roads and trails will be clear of snow if temps stay warm like this.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last photo of warm riding gear as lighter rigging will be pulled out for following rides. Very warm when riding along in shaded in areas of tree-line,,, kind-a over kill for this ride.

Lots of cut and pipe-lines that would take weeks to drive little lone all the slash-lines that connect to them.

Spent many a days on Spotter-Out-Look in the Fall Harvest season. Had lots of luck picking out furry critters from this Knoll.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A raft of Ravens in a thermal rise.

Spent today cleaning up the unit for service #2 since it won't see clean till the season raps up for 2016.

Old lumber waggon got a splash too since it needs small work over. Been a good chunk of iron that packed me all across North America for a 1 year get away.

Had the chance to check out boys new toy hauler.

She is some interesting looking at this set-up, glad it ain't me running that thing up there. Ha.

Pretty much ready to roll as feed back from Sothern BC is looking good in a quest of finding Lost-Ness

Pal Lem in a land much bigger then humans & machine alone.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No helmet when riding?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Not on the flats since I drive in 1'st or 2'nd gear, mostly no helmit on the flat sections.

Yes when riding the rolly cut-line hills and always in BC on the moutain trails since they get pretty steep.
Full face when exploring, open face when retriving game.

The youngers wear their buckets all the time since there under 16, Alberta rule if I recall.
Lots of helmit time at Huming Bird and back side Abraham lake.
Bucket fits good in back box when I need it.

Good to pack along with chain saw, axe, any other extra.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's almost as bad as having a beer in a boat.

My apoligies were pm'ed to Lenny thanks.

I looked up the helmit law in Alberta for atv's X-tream, but didn't find any thing. I would appresheate if someone know more on this if there is. Here in Alberta that is.

My guess is that BC, SK and other Provinces have a helmit law.

Thanks from Don

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Wow! That's almost as bad as having a beer in a boat.

43436990.jpg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That says if you're working for the county and operating an ohv a helmet is required.

We got stopped at the dam a few years ago.
Was told a bylaw was in place that you had to wear a helmet in the County while riding.

The guy said in Alberta each County can have a helmet bylaw.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts guys, best if I start wearing it full time any ways since I'm packing it.

Any-Who, I sent out a PM to Ron and Lenny on apologies for my knee jerk comment on Lenny's thread, my fault totally.

I'm more then willing to send PM's to those that are interested in full story of the issues that I'm dealing with regarding my wrong take on it with no holds barred.

The sort story is 2 friends fatalities "not on their" part less then one month apart. In honor of my close friend who lots his favorite oldest son I quit drinking alcohol indefinably to show change. Wake up calls come to many in different ways, this was mine since I was never a big drinker any ways.

Don't get me wrong/ right since this is an under taking on my part, and my part only as I deal with this out side of public forum.

Totally wrong for me to state any thing/ comment on my new friend Lenny's thread as we move foreword.

I come too S&M to be friends, and learn each day how to be wiser at it moving foreword on.

Pal Don who was wise yesterday, "but" hopes to be wiser to ones self tomorrow with brothers and sister.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much have things rigged up for this weekend as pals are coming down from Edmonton to ride the local area, then game plan for some distance into BC since the report of South Okanogan is next to nill for snow in the lower to mid high valleys.

Buddy just road sections of the KVR and ran into ice on the shaded in areas. Roads are open on both side of the valleys, big cats are running in the Vernon area again this year.

Good to catch the old stomping grounds before it get too hot down there.

Pal Lem

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much have things rigged up for this weekend as pals are coming down from Edmonton to ride the local area, then game plan for some distance into BC since the report of South Okanogan is next to nill for snow in the lower to mid high valleys.

Buddy just road sections of the KVR and ran into ice on the shaded in areas. Roads are open on both side of the valleys, big cats are running in the Vernon area again this year.

Good to catch the old stomping grounds before it get too hot down there.

Pal Lem

KVR Kettle Valley Railway?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KVR Kettle Valley Railway?

Yes. I normally jump onto it East of Penticton if the staging area still permits OHV use in that section.

Areas by town were shut down closer to residence acreages, but still able to access the rock tunnel by driving South from staging area.

Just watch for signage to open areas for atv's, bikes, dual sport ect... I've always stop for horses and foot traffic since it keeps peace with everyone.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. I normally jump onto it East of Penticton if the staging area still permits OHV use in that section.

Areas by town were shut down closer to residence acreages, but still able to access the rock tunnel by driving South from staging area.

Just watch for signage to open areas for atv's, bikes, dual sport ect... I've always stop for horses and foot traffic since it keeps peace with everyone.

I road 90 percent of the rail bed 25 years ago. Before bridges got burnt and area's closed to walking or bicycle only.

Spend many Summer's exploring. Took lots of pictures or the tunnels and bridges.

Top Bottom