Loss of Atlas Staging Area

morerpmfred

Reaction score
Sign at the end of the dutch creek road at where the first bridge is/was. Road decommision starting August 15 or 16. There was another 4 x 6 sign with all the details right there a hundred yards away as well. Did not read that one. Would make a good hispeed quad , sxs trail with all the culverts and bridges removed.

wiseguy

Reaction score
We were out there this summer and I was told that Spray Lakes Sawmill owns that road and that they are not going to maintain it anymore as they aren't doing anymore logging in the area. Was told that the road would still be maintained up till the staging area by the county though. I checked the CNP Quadsquad website and couldn't find anything on it. If anybody would know anything about, it should be them. Hope we don't lose that staging area.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the road is maintened by devon up untill the last testing station just before the turn-off to the north safety shelter ... i missed the last meeting for the crowsnow riders but im sure we would of heard about it prior to may

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I was reading about this on the Inn on the Border blog, Devon is gone, Spray Lakes will not be harvesting in the area for about 20 years, so they do not want to maintain the road anymore. The Municipality does not sound like they want anything to do with Atlas anymore. She mentioned checking the quadsquad site for more information, but like it was mentioned before there is nothing on the quadsquad site about what is going on.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i talked to a couple of members of our club and they dont know nothing about it ..... so ill try to find out more and let ya know

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Well i talked to a couple of members of our club and they dont know nothing about it ..... so ill try to find out more and let ya know

Thanks Polarice!!! That would be a big hit to the local economy to lose that area. When we go out we easily drop $500.00 per weekend out sledding in the local community. We also take 2 week long trips out tot he area each year. It is a great place to ride. It is one area that we can take Jaymie out and let her ride her own sled with confidence.

Jan

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will check with friends who live in the CNP area. They are big sledders and quaders so they should know the scoop.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if the county maintains the road to the Provincial Park (Chinook Lake) for the cross-country skiers then I would hope they would extend the same courtesy to the sledders and at least plow to the parking lot. Atlas sees a lot more use than the PP in the winter.

I cannot see loosing this...it's a popular and great spot.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i sent our club pres an email in regards to this and yes the road is getting shut down north of the staging area no more vehicles past that point the municipality are still going to maintain the road and parking lot ... all in all for winter use it doesnt change much but for summer activities i suppose it will make a bit of a difference

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i sent our club pres an email in regards to this and yes the road is getting shut down north of the staging area no more vehicles past that point the municipality are still going to maintain the road and parking lot ... all in all for winter use it doesnt change much but for summer activities i suppose it will make a bit of a difference

Closing of the road from the staging area north is great for both summer and winter. We weren't allowed to quad on it during the summer (at least not to be seen by forestry). It made it somewhat difficult to get to some of the trail legally. I wonder how Devon is going to get to their stations long the pipeline...I guess they will use atv's and sleds like the rest of us.

Last edited:

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Closing of the road from the staging area north is great for both summer and winter. We weren't allowed to quad on it during the summer (at least not to be seem by forestry). It made it somewhat difficult to get to some of the trail legally. I wonder how Devon is going to get to their stations long the pipeline...I guess they will use atv's and sleds like the rest of us.

oil and gas companies are all leaning more toward helicopters nowadays. it saves time and way better for the land. choppers are a dime a dozen these days and way safer then sledding or quadding.

bruteforce650

Reaction score
Closing of the road from the staging area north is great for both summer and winter. We weren't allowed to quad on it during the summer (at least not to be seen by forestry). It made it somewhat difficult to get to some of the trail legally. I wonder how Devon is going to get to their stations long the pipeline...I guess they will use atv's and sleds like the rest of us.

Eventually devon will be taking all the well sites apart and have nothing left. The Devon plant in the pass is closing down and they are tearing it down as well.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that Devon will still be driving trucks in there one way or another. Thats some super sour stuff down there like 40% H2S....24/7 vehicle access is a must.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dime a dozen ? lol a heli is around $1000 bucks an hour to run 0.o

You actually think an oil company cares about a $1000.00 per/hr chopper bill your crazy. Field i worked in south of GP for a couple years flew one all day everyday that was possible to fly.

Top Bottom