Loss of Atlas Staging Area

The_Plagued_1

Reaction score
We just got back from dutch creek campground... had a spot for 3 months..... the rumor is that the logging company has shut down and pulling the road.... About 3 weeks ago I did see some heavy equipment sitting... So I guess it will be the staging area at ceaser flats... Or for us last year snowmobiling... Dutch creek campground just outside the gate...

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I understand it Devon is shutting down the sulfur plant and decommissioning all the wells. The logging company is done in the area for the next 20 years.

Jan
It's a sour gas processing plant. Sulphur is a byproduct of stripping the H2S. Field has been in decline for many years so they are shutting down. I would suspect they will be reclaiming all the wellsites.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
It's a sour gas processing plant. Sulphur is a byproduct of stripping the H2S. Field has been in decline for many years so they are shutting down. I would suspect they will be reclaiming all the wellsites.

Thanks Bobsledder that's what Larry explained to me too, I just put sulphur to keep it simple.

Jan

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the price of NG in the basement, no wonder they're shutting down! I'd be very surprised to see them reclaim the wells any sooner than they would have to? Typically they have a certain time period that the well can remain inactive before abandonment is required. Shell has been operating in that area for years, super sour as well, and no talk of them packing it in? These companies don't just walk away from old infrastructure, unless there's really no foreseeable future.

Now the service road is another story! The Atlas road has been there for a long time and these companies inherited it along with the responsibility of decommissioning it,... but again, I would be surprised to see that happen before the wells were done. They would need heavy equipment etc. It would be interesting to know who holds the rights to the road? Spraylakes sawmill? Devon paying them access?

Many great years/memories on that road, and great for introducing newbies to the sport too!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the price of NG in the basement, no wonder they're shutting down! I'd be very surprised to see them reclaim the wells any sooner than they would have to? Typically they have a certain time period that the well can remain inactive before abandonment is required. Shell has been operating in that area for years, super sour as well, and no talk of them packing it in? These companies don't just walk away from old infrastructure, unless there's really no foreseeable future.

Now the service road is another story! The Atlas road has been there for a long time and these companies inherited it along with the responsibility of decommissioning it,... but again, I would be surprised to see that happen before the wells were done. They would need heavy equipment etc. It would be interesting to know who holds the rights to the road? Spraylakes sawmill? Devon paying them access?

Many great years/memories on that road, and great for introducing newbies to the sport too!

It is simply a matter of a field that isn't economical anymore and volumes have declined to the point of shut down. Like the old Gulf field east of Shell.
Shell Waterton field is a different story. Still decent volumes and a different formation that produces liquids which make major dollars. A major cash cow for Shell.

Top Bottom