Looking for a Stihl Saw Carb

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I used to cut about the same amount with the same fuel you do on and off over the years. But always seem to have had to rebuild the carb in the spring after a heavy use season. And it’s been that way since day 1. No matter what preventative measures I use to store it. My buddies 290 of the same vintage hasn’t given him any grief and it’s preventative maintenance and storage practices leave a lot to be desired. As in none lol.

95% of the people out there including commercial loggers run premium fuel and do nothing different than I do when it comes to maintenance. The 5% of you that think you need fancy expensive gas are just putting a band aid on a poor running saw if it won’t run on anything else. But hey whatever makes you feel better.

This saw has an issue. It’s the carb. Among the other issues I’ve mentioned above all it still has a broken screw in it so I’m going to replace it.

Every other 2 and 4 stroke I own gets run on the same gas, same storage practices and never an issue. My brothers echo of similar cc and another buddies pos poulan both run pump gas, get no special treatment and run fine.

I’m going to try and find that carb posted above on amazon and check it out.
Three choices 1. Start using your 1980 homelite if it runs so great. 2. Get a Poulan like yer buddy. 3. Get a new saw, burn aspen and move on ffs.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use pump premium, and doo xps oil lol

Little touch of sea foam for winter storage

One carb kit in 14 years ( think it was mixed oil, 4 and 2 cycle in bottle some how)

Never done a thing to my echo other than that

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well someone's got to. It was painful to read your posts. Sheesh.

Likewise Dickhead.
I’m looking for a carb. Not a speech on how rad $50/litre special gas is.

You have helped 0% here.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it is 35 dollars for 5 liters so most likely it will cost you 18 dollars a year to buck up 2 cords of wood and run your weed eater and other small crap. Might even work out to less that your expensive additives to your gas that don't do jack sh!t

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On sale a lot of the time for $7 a litre at Canuckistan tire. Cheaper if you buy the gallon.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 7 year old aspen fuel in the pump seemed to have no effect at all when i started it, not sure if it has residue left over or not. But when you first add the aspen fuel to a motor that has been run on crap gas boy does it run bad for a bit before it straightens out. Must be chasing out varnish or carbon in the cylinders who knows.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 7 year old aspen fuel in the pump seemed to have no effect at all when i started it, not sure if it has residue left over or not. But when you first add the aspen fuel to a motor that has been run on crap gas boy does it run bad for a bit before it straightens out. Must be chasing out varnish or carbon in the cylinders who knows.
Sea foam does the same thing, hence why I use fresh gas and sea foam when it sits, let it run a bit with gas and foam

Bet my saw be 3 pulls to get running from last spring

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sea foam does the same thing, hence why I use fresh gas and sea foam when it sits, let it run a bit with gas and foam

Run seafoam in all my small engines to. They always run good. My stihl 180 stays in my sxs our in the weather and and always runs good.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well at least it starts back up after using seafoam, not so much after using aspen fuel. If you forget the month you put the fuel in, you should consider using aspen fuel, if you forget the year you should definitely be using it. For those that are interested i just got a 3 pack of 4 stroke fuel 15l from Star West petroleum today for 64.29

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9d8d547d6fe917c6ed23b826bf34322d.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I use that shet on everything, sometimes i've been known to hibernate for day's. With a little KB kick start help, i alway run smooth

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha this is hilarious to read.. no/never any need to run special fuel. My chain saw sits on the front of my atv and gets abused and no matter how long it sits will start by the 3rd pull, same with my 2 brush saws, leaf blower, pole saw, larger chain saw, and 1/2 dozen other gas powered pc of equipment including my pc of crap lawnmower that will lay buried under 5 feet of snow over the motor and starts the second pull every time after winter.. leave the tanks full and it will take more than a year for it to evaporate. The Op is right and the carb should have been replaced long ago instead of just tossing carb kits in it after the first time.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No way in hell anyone can convince me to use crap gas anymore, i was tired of replacing recoils and rebuilding carbs. It would be interesting to see what every ones mix is on their small engines, i know i am 50 to 1

Last edited:
Top Bottom