Looking for a Stihl Saw Carb

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the adjustment screws broke off in my Stihl MS270 saw so I took it to the local Stihl dealer and 5 weeks later after hearing nothing I enquired and they said they were on it. 3 days later they call saying it was ready. Picked it up and got it home and found they had sharpened the chain but never replaced the carb and charged me over $100. Asked them about it and they said they just put a carb kit in it. When asked about the screw I got a deer in the headlights look and was told to try it. 2 months later I took it out and burned a half tank. Next day go to start it and it’s hydro locked with fuel-float needle stuck open I’m guessing. This saw had had 4 carb kits in 10 years and been a pos every spring so I want to change the carb out completely.

So I’m just going to fix it myself but having trouble finding a carb. It’s a walbro HD-33. Stihl p/n 1133 120 0604.

If anyone can point me in the direction of one of these I’d appreciate it.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you get it running again, stop putting that crap fuel in it and use some Aspen premixed.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you get it running again, stop putting that crap fuel in it and use some Aspen premixed.

I’ll be damned if I have to buy special fuel for any saw I ever own. I run 91 octane and Stihl oil. Buddies 290 as do the dozen or so loggers I know have no problems with pump gas.

This saw has given me grief from day 1 almost. 3 trips under warranty to the dealer and all they would do is carb kit. Now that the carb is dicked with the broken screw, I’m doing what they should have done second time in for the same problem. Nothing should need a carb rebuild every season. Hell my 1980 homelite hasn’t had any carb maintenance in 8 years. Still runs like a top.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I’ll be damned if I have to buy special fuel for any saw I ever own. I run 91 octane and Stihl oil. Buddies 290 as do the dozen or so loggers I know have no problems with pump gas.

This saw has given me grief from day 1 almost. 3 trips under warranty to the dealer and all they would do is carb kit. Now that the carb is dicked with the broken screw, I’m doing what they should have done second time in for the same problem. Nothing should need a carb rebuild every season. Hell my 1980 homelite hasn’t had any carb maintenance in 8 years. Still runs like a top.
Dude, stop being so stubborn. What you are doing is obviously not working. How many years in a row have you needed rebuilding? Just buy the aspen and never worry again. It will start every spring for you. Ya, its crazy expensive but its costing you way more in carb rebuilding, stress and blood pressure.
Or just keep beating your head against the wall. You seem to like doing that.
I've been through the same thing many times. Heck, I was so frustrated with my five different small engines not starting every spring I actually cried once when my honda genny wouldnt start. My local small engine repair shop makes over $1,200/day fixing engines with the same issues.
I hope it runs for you with the new rebuild.
Cheers

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cut about 15 cords a year with nothing but pump gas and a 50:1 mix and trouble free. Mix in some carb cleaner, keep the saw clean and it runs flawlessly. Then again I run husky gear. I will say a good saw shop is hard to find nowadays though.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I run 2 Stihl saws; an MS 170 for limbing and an MS 361 for felling and bucking. The dealer in Fernie is great. They sell lots of saws and they sell those saws because of great price and service. Even with the 7% PST, they are cheaper than anywhere I have found in Alberta.

The only issue I have had is the high temp vapour lock. I have found that working in the warmer weather (+20C degrees) they tend to vapour lock and it is very frustrating but YouTube tells me that most saws are like that. Pump gas (premium) and like mentioned above 50:1 and they run like a champ. My son uses a Husky and no problem with pump gas neither.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, my MS170 will vapor lock and shut down in hot weather when working it hard. Never had an issue in cooler weather.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an MS170 that I use camping, on the quad and a little around home. Doesn’t get a lot of use and I use STIHL’s motomix. Haven’t started it in 6 months until the other day and it started like the day I bought it. Not sure if it’s the same as the aspen stuff guys are talking about.
If you don’t wanna run special fuel, maybe just store your saw with a tank full of the special stuff. That chit works.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cut about 15 cords a year with nothing but pump gas and a 50:1 mix and trouble free. Mix in some carb cleaner, keep the saw clean and it runs flawlessly. Then again I run husky gear. I will say a good saw shop is hard to find nowadays though.

I used to cut about the same amount with the same fuel you do on and off over the years. But always seem to have had to rebuild the carb in the spring after a heavy use season. And it’s been that way since day 1. No matter what preventative measures I use to store it. My buddies 290 of the same vintage hasn’t given him any grief and it’s preventative maintenance and storage practices leave a lot to be desired. As in none lol.

95% of the people out there including commercial loggers run premium fuel and do nothing different than I do when it comes to maintenance. The 5% of you that think you need fancy expensive gas are just putting a band aid on a poor running saw if it won’t run on anything else. But hey whatever makes you feel better.

This saw has an issue. It’s the carb. Among the other issues I’ve mentioned above all it still has a broken screw in it so I’m going to replace it.

Every other 2 and 4 stroke I own gets run on the same gas, same storage practices and never an issue. My brothers echo of similar cc and another buddies pos poulan both run pump gas, get no special treatment and run fine.

I’m going to try and find that carb posted above on amazon and check it out.

Last edited:

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The aspen fuel is good if you use your saw a few times a year, if you go through lots of gas then premium is fine as its not in carb long enough for the gas to evaporate and leave the gummy oil.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think premium really matters. If your saw sits for a while at least do a search to find where you can buy non ETHANOL fuel.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5d20c9ea3d2a6fb79849c391288c5824.jpg

We sell both Husky and Stihl saws. I have tried both of them.
I use the premix fuel because it’s easier to pack around camping and on sxs for cleaning trails

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to cut about the same amount with the same fuel you do on and off over the years. But always seem to have had to rebuild the carb in the spring after a heavy use season. And it’s been that way since day 1. No matter what preventative measures I use to store it. My buddies 290 of the same vintage hasn’t given him any grief and it’s preventative maintenance and storage practices leave a lot to be desired. As in none lol.

95% of the people out there including commercial loggers run premium fuel and do nothing different than I do when it comes to maintenance. The 5% of you that think you need fancy expensive gas are just putting a band aid on a poor running saw if it won’t run on anything else. But hey whatever makes you feel better.

This saw has an issue. It’s the carb. Among the other issues I’ve mentioned above all it still has a broken screw in it so I’m going to replace it.

Every other 2 and 4 stroke I own gets run on the same gas, same storage practices and never an issue. My brothers echo of similar cc and another buddies pos poulan both run pump gas, get no special treatment and run fine.

I’m going to try and find that carb posted above on amazon and check it out.

My 2 saws never really seem to sit so maybe that's why I've haven't had a problem yet. Always seems like something needs cutting or fallen.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 9 small engines, not sure how many every one else has. I would be lucky to burn a jug of aspen fuel a year. One of them sat for a lot of years (7) maybe. The smell in the gas tank was exactly the same as fresh Aspen fuel so it still was not bad. It started right up. I never put it in the lawn mower though it only seems to sit for 6 months time. Is there such a thing as fallers anymore? One other thing i purchased a battery operated saw, but it came with no box. So i got one off of kijiji for 20 bucks it came with a power saw in it. So i bought a carb off of ebay for 12 bucks. The saw fired right up and ran perfect with no carbs to adjust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom