Looking for a sled for my better half..

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some GUYS that can take 600's anywhere a 800 will go. I agree with renting a couple different sleds to get a feel for what to get.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to look at the 600's if she is planning on doing much mountain riding. Too often the weakest riders are saddled on the underpowered sleds and are expected to keep up Unless your going to tailor your rides for her and a 600 it will be really difficult for her to follow the group. With the small weight difference between the 8's and 6's why would she be happy with a six?? Would you?? Look at all the clowns on the big fourstroke turbo's power makes a lot of poor riders look pretty good.

I would disagree with you that it would be a mistake to look at the 600....if the lady in question is small and inexperienced putting her on an 800 right away might make or break her mountain riding experience. The M8 is a whole lot heavier than an M6, and I'm not talking a few pounds. And yes, it's harder to start. I spent 2 seasons on an M6 and that sled took me just about everywhere I wanted to go, and the places that I HAD to go I just worked the sled a little harder to get there and I think I'm a much better rider today because of it. And although the M6 is less power (118 hp) compared to the M8 (150hp) it is way nimbler and easy to maneuver and at the end of the day your upper body will know the difference between the two!! lol

This is my second season on an M8, love it, the sled goes where I want it to go (most of the time!) lol but it does take some seat time to get comfortable on it so that you can ride it confidently. Now I'm definitely ready for a TURBO!!:d:d:d:d:d

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy Christmas, you're 43? Man I hope I look as good as you in 20 years! Sorry, high jacked you guys!

Thanks Femme...LOL :eek: What was I thinking posting my age and weight on the forum :eek: all that's missing is the boob size. :p

On the 600's...I started on a Doo 600 and still really love that sled. Hubby is planning to ride it this season just for chits and giggles. It goes most places, but it does take more to get it there if it's knarly. There is a definite benefit to having power on your side...but only if you know how to use it. Lots of women don't use the power and track speed to their advantage and just use it to go fast and drive into things harder. :nono:

There is a definite difference in the use of the upper body from a 6 to an 8...and track length makes a difference in handling...moreso than a few extra pounds of sled. My 600 is an '07, 144 Doo, the 800 is a '11, 153 Cat...but the 800 doesn't weigh much different than the 600 (I think it's less actually:confused:) My 600 Doo costs 1/2 as much per ride as hubbys 800 Doo...in gas, oil and maintenance. We put around 3000 kms per year per sled...and the cost of the 600 is peanuts...so that's a big factor for some.

When I pin it on the 800, it leaves me in the parking lot...LOL.:eek: One thing I really do like about the new Cat is the throttle...it is easy peasy..you just have to think about giving it more and it's there. My Doo has a very firm throttle and takes alot of thumb muscle to work it. The Cat throttle is sweet and I had no throttle thumb...first time since I've been riding that I haven't had thottle thumb pain out the wazoo. :beer: Coming off recent wrist surgery, this is one of the best things that I wasn't expecting...way less painful of a ride. :d Oh, and I LOVE the skinny seat....a 30" inseam doesn't wrap around the wider seats as well as they do this nice little cat seat! :) And easy to get around on...it's short so you don't hook your foot when going from side to side either. AND...it's got some good spring to it...I rarely sit, but for fun I sat down, held my feet off the boards and pinned it over some whoops...holy he!! I had to stop I was laughing so hard...darn near bounced me off the sled! Firm, but bouncey (the seat, not my azz :eek:)...on my Doo seat I woulda broke my back. Hahahahah.

There isn't alot of weight difference between a 6 and 8 nowadays...not that'll make or break anyone...they are all heavy biotches IMO. :rolleyes:

It really does depend on the kind of rider your gal is as well as how aggressive and how much technical riding she's into. If she's not going to use the power or go places where she might 'need' it...then there are lots of reasons a 6 or 7 would be great for her! If she's going to go full on and push herself and want to learn technical skills, then an 8 might be what she needs so she's not limited by lack of power. Either sled is going to get her where she wants to go, just matters moreso what she's willing to do to get there. :)

Last edited:

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bahahah i love your write up on the cat tam! :D :p

you've seen the light and come to team green, i <3 it lol

its so rider friendly, and your comment about the throttle just 'being there' is bang on. and the short skinny seat thing is GREAT.. i got long legs and im really not that graceful at switching sides and such lol

cant wait to c the footage of you on your new ride :)

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that riding a sled with less power will make a person a better rider, and power definitely makes up for some skill. I just stepped into an M8 turbo, coming off of a stock XP. I can't finess the sled yet, like I could with my doo, but I can go anywhere simply because of the power.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that riding a sled with less power will make a person a better rider, and power definitely makes up for some skill. I just stepped into an M8 turbo, coming off of a stock XP. I can't finess the sled yet, like I could with my doo, but I can go anywhere simply because of the power.

Yeah, you bet powderpilot!! Power can get a person out of trouble.....and maybe into some trouble too!! lol WOW you're one LUCKY chicka to be sporting a TM8 this season....please let us know how you're liking it and how it has increased your riding ability!! :d:d

joysled

Reaction score
We are in Sicamous. I love my 600Etec Skidoo with elect start. Light and easy to drive in the trees. I don't get stuck in all that deep snow.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We were up the summit yesterday, into the trees into some gnarly stuff. Kev let me take his TM8 through the trees.... Oh my gosh..... It was like the clouds parted and I could hear singing... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... so easy and wonderful, especially in the tight steep spots where there was no room to really get a run at the hill.

My point being, exactly what Tam stated earlier... depending upon what Kind of rider she is... and what kind of rider she'd like to be will determine the size of her sled. Unless you are prosperous enough to buy her a sled to start on, and when she outgrows it upgrade.... :d:beer:

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you bet powderpilot!! Power can get a person out of trouble.....and maybe into some trouble too!! lol WOW you're one LUCKY chicka to be sporting a TM8 this season....please let us know how you're liking it and how it has increased your riding ability!! :d:d

Loving it!!!! And yep, I'm a lucky girl. It was awful nice of T&T Powersports to let me borrow it for the season!

Like Momma said, you don't need to carry speed into the hills. I was pulling up a fairly gnarly hill through some trees this weekend, and my ECU got wet. It bogged out on me several times and my sled almost completely died. I would just mash the throttle and it would start climbing again, even from an amlost dead stop on a steep vert. Mind you I was in a completely squirrely wheelie once it took off again, but it was hella fun!!!!

Top Bottom