Looking for a sled for my better half..

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just sold my race sled in order to buy something a little more "ridable" for the GF. Now, we moved out to Vernon so she will be riding in the mountains. What would you ladies recommend for a beginners sled?

Im thinking a M6? or a 600 rmk?

I have a line on a 2009 M6 for a decent price and mileage and was thinking about pulling the trigger.

The sled must be stable and "not tippy" like my summit xp is.

thanks in advance for your gals help! Its greatly appreciated. :d

bighiter

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the M6....my last sled was a 2008 M6, loved it, could go almost anywhere the guys could go, light, nimble and quick, and stable on the trails. My 14 yr old rides it now and I'm on an M8 (Just needed a little more hp lol) You can't go wrong with the M6, sweet sled for sure. Good luck with your choice!!:d

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either one of those sled would probably work for her. Post a pic once you make the choice and lets see her new ride! :)

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ditto both sleds would be great for starting on. the cat is def not tippy but rolls nicely. there was a thread not to long ago on here about what sled for another guy to get his gf.. it had quite a few pages of comments, check it out!

good luck

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has she sledded before? If she has experience on a sled already, I'm not so sure if I'd go the M6 or 600 route.. she'd out grow it in no time.

Again, if you have the opportunity, let her test out a few different chassis. I myself ride cat, but a sled is a personal preference thing.

Let her try out a sled that is set up for a person her size too, so she can get an accurate feel for it. Nothing worse than being a 130 lb woman, riding a sled set up for a 245 lb man.

cheers.

Momma

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no:1 it should have electric start and reverse you will kick yourself if you don't get them for her the newer 6,7 and 8,s have alot of compression and can be a handfull to start

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no:1 it should have electric start and reverse you will kick yourself if you don't get them for her the newer 6,7 and 8,s have alot of compression and can be a handfull to start

I guess it depends upon the kind of woman she is and what kind of riding she'll do.

would be a shame to have a woman who has it in her to be kick azz pow busting ish... and saddle her with a low hp, heavier sled. In this section, I think you'll find alot of strong, capable, talented women, who live breathe and dream Pow.

I absolutely agree with you, however, that reverse is a must. Yup.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the reverse... I would personally opt out of the electric start... Don't need the extra weight. The cats are fuel injected, so not a big deal to pull-start.

Suspension set up is key.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya reverse is no doubt about it.. and electric start is a maybe.. yes the weight sucks BUT if she's 5'0" tall and 120lbs (aka my sister in law & her sister) she wont be able to pull start it (or very slim chance).. having elec start is a considerable option in this case..

and SUSPENSION ack glad you pointed that out pp! like Momma was saying, something set up for 250lb guy sucks for a 130lb or whatever she may be girl to ride!! she will hate it from the beginning if the suspension is too stiff or not enough, because she will find it harder to steer, or ride through the bumps, etc .. this is where cat's fox floats come in handy, its a quick adjustment in the trailer or on the trail..

if you took a weekend and rented her a different sled each day, or went out for a few weekends renting a different sled each time it would be ideal.. she would get a feel for the machines..

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'5 125 lbs, and have no probs with pulling my sled over. I had the XP, which was carborated, and spent many times stuck on the side of a hill trying to pull it over it after rolling it. Now on an M8 Twisted Turbo :)

The only issue with the pull-start on my cat is the handle is too big for my little hands. Easily fixed with a billet mod. $35

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats excellent :) glad to hear it
I just know that neither of those girls can start the sled, nor my mother most times.. i think its a technique thing, u gotta practice

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was actually another point I was going to ad. If you always rely on the elec start (or your hubby), you might not be able to pull it over when you have to.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an 06 -800 REV I have tried quite a few different sleds and I agree if she has been riding already she will out grow the 600. I started mountain riding on an old 670 from there to a 700. Wow I can even keep up to the boys on my 800 LMAO. I agree you need reverse and you should be able to start your sled for a variety of reasons, this is VERY important. Good luck and remember that it's really hard for a man to pick a womens sled when we have total different body dynamics.

Nuckn'Futz

Reaction score
Let her try an m6, then let her try a 600 xp. 2 totally different sleds. See which style she likes more.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Reverse, YES! EStart?? Personally you couldn't pay me to have estart LOL. But it adds a chitload of weight for mountain riding. For me, I want to be able to start my sled...with more effort than it takes to push a button. E Start is fab, but everyone should be 'able' to start their own sled IMO.

Just went out on my brand spankin' new M8, was worried that I'd have a tough time starting it with the compression and all...but once you get the 'feel' and don't pull right from the get go, give it some cord until it starts to grab, then give er a good, quick yank...she's good to go. Had only a couple times where I pulled more than twice (thanks to the killswitch:rolleyes:)...most times got er in one pull. By the end of the day I was sitting on my sled pulling it just like my old Doo 600 ;)
With that being said...if a 43 year old woman, 5'2" and just shy of 130 lbs can start a brand new M8...everyone can LOL. :p

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job Tam!
And thanks for the advise. I was worried that my wife would have trouble, but she can start her M8 pretty easy too!

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reverse, YES! EStart?? Personally you couldn't pay me to have estart LOL. But it adds a chitload of weight for mountain riding. For me, I want to be able to start my sled...with more effort than it takes to push a button. E Start is fab, but everyone should be 'able' to start their own sled IMO.

Just went out on my brand spankin' new M8, was worried that I'd have a tough time starting it with the compression and all...but once you get the 'feel' and don't pull right from the get go, give it some cord until it starts to grab, then give er a good, quick yank...she's good to go. Had only a couple times where I pulled more than twice (thanks to the killswitch:rolleyes:)...most times got er in one pull. By the end of the day I was sitting on my sled pulling it just like my old Doo 600 ;)
With that being said...if a 43 year old woman, 5'2" and just shy of 130 lbs can start a brand new M8...everyone can LOL. :p

Holy Christmas, you're 43? Man I hope I look as good as you in 20 years! Sorry, high jacked you guys!

Big guy, nice to see you thinking about your woman! I have to agree with everyone who says let her try both. For what it's worth, my sister and I have been riding M6s since they came out, dad was nice enough to let us demo! And must say I loved them!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to look at the 600's if she is planning on doing much mountain riding. Too often the weakest riders are saddled on the underpowered sleds and are expected to keep up Unless your going to tailor your rides for her and a 600 it will be really difficult for her to follow the group. With the small weight difference between the 8's and 6's why would she be happy with a six?? Would you?? Look at all the clowns on the big fourstroke turbo's power makes a lot of poor riders look pretty good.

Top Bottom