Looking to get my girlfriend into sledding

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry if something like this has been posted already. I have done a few searches for other threads, but couldn't find anything useful (if there is another thread out there already, a link would be awesome). I figure the ladies of the sport would have some good insight to help me out.

I work at 2 week in and 2 week out job at a diamond mine up north, so I spend half of my time away from home. During the summer, she has had no problem spending the other half of the time with me, but I'm a winter guy. I ski and sled, and they are huge part of my life. She used to ski and snowboard but hasn't in a few year, and now is one of those people that isn't a fan of winter. I'm trying to get her back in to it, and let her know the reason she doesn't like it, is because she doesn't have anything to look forward to in the winter. She is very open to getting back in to skiing, but I would love to get her in to sledding as well. We both ride motorcycles together in the summer, so I don't think it should be too much of a stretch.
What I guess I'm looking for is some advice on how I can get ease her in to the sport so that it is something she enjoys and wants to do together. I've thought about getting a couple other buddies and their girlfriends out as a group to make it more of a social thing at first.
Thanks in advance.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure she is wearing warm clothes, it is a nice day her first ride and the ride is very easy the first time. What you think is easy may not be for her.Annnnnnnnd........................................................................................don't yell at her. Lol.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ X2, oh and make sure if you're gonna go play for 10 minutes or so without her, drop her at the Cabin, leaving her stranded up top while you drop into a bowl and spend an hour trying to get out, takes the fun factor out of it........don't ask me how I know :eek: Sled skiing may also be an option to introduce her to the sport, Valemont will be all set up for it this winter

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ X2, oh and make sure if you're gonna go play for 10 minutes or so without her, drop her at the Cabin, leaving her stranded up top while you drop into a bowl and spend an hour trying to get out, takes the fun factor out of it........don't ask me how I know :eek: Sled skiing may also be an option to introduce her to the sport, Valemont will be all set up for it this winter

been there done that. OOPS.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would first take her to the grazing range which is west of wabaman and let her trail ride fisrt and get some time under her ass. I would also take some good food and drink and let her see haow much fun it can be. At this time u can teach her some basic like turning out on some of the smaller hills in the area and if we have some descent snow this year u can find some deeper snow in the lower slew areas to give her a chance to stand and move the sled around in some deeper snow to see how it feels. This is the area I taught my kids to ride before I took them to the mountains and this will give her some cofidence before u take her to the mountains even though shes a skier u no it's way different and it can be scary to a beginner in the mountains. So my little advice is small steps until she gets her snowmobiling legs and never leave her to do any riding by herself because she gets stuck and u aren't around u might as well shot yourself. Give her time and u may find that she may pass u after a while and yes going up as a group is great but theirs more of a chance u and the boys will go pis of on your own ride and if she has a group to ride with u might get away with this but my wife prefers being with me not a different group and the same thing if she gets stuck and your not around ouch for u. My wife doesn't ride even behind me but she lets me go with my kids and sometimes other peaple join us but I always plan the trips with my kids so I don't get barked at for always riding with my friends and my son can ride with the best of them and my daughter is a little weaker but she can get to alot of areas we go to but we do have a great time. Good luck

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about areas to ride? I think I may try to get her out to Cataract first, as it's an easy day trip from Calgary, and it will get her used to the controls on the trails (though going for a trail ride on a mountain sled isn't the most fun). There are also a few little areas where you can play around if there is enough snow. Then I was thinking of heading to Quartz since there is such a wide variety of terrain. I can have her play around in the meadow and get used to deep snow manoeuvres, the trail in is well maintained and there is a great cabin to warm up. If she wants to try some hills they are readily available.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come up to valemount spend a day just touring and make sure she is riding in her comfort zone at all times no rips over hill climb or crazy drops for the first few and be as patient as you can its your reactions that will make or brake the experience! Then after a great day have a nice dinner and tell her you have her booked into the spa for the next day this way she gets pampered and remembers the whole experience as an amazing time not just sledding out in the snow and cold.... Pm me if you need local details

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everything these members have said is great advice, i got the with to be into the sport 2 seasons ago and this will be her third season in the mountians. she dose well for how bad of a teacher i am. i kinda make her follow me keeping in mind shes fresh so i take it easy on her but also put her into the trees and side hills once and awhile. if she gets stuck ohwell just dig her out. i dug her out for the first year and the following christmas i bought her her own shovel :) this year she upgraded to a 2007 xrs 800 just like mine but stock. it will be a bit slow im sure getting use to the new sled but she will be back on her game in no time. and your idea of getting together with other couples is a GREAT IDEA. the wife always wants to ride with other girls but none of my buddies wives/girlfriends ride so its been hard for her to find someone to ride with. if your up for the drive to bc, were located in the vernon/armstrong area, hunters range has great riding for all levels, and silverstar ski hill has very basic trails which are great for night rides. also i have a short trip idea for my wife to ainsworth hot springs in december, not sure on the date yet or if were able to make it or not but my idea was to take her there and meet trish from mainjet motorsports. shes on of the betties and she said there awesome riding there and she would bring some of the local girls out and what better way to learn from some of the good female riders? just PM me for other detail and such and maybe we can set something up this year with you and your girlfreind. also this year my brother and his wife both have sleds. brother has been sledding for years but just got back into it and his wife will be brand new into it. so nothing crazy will be done this year untill there ready.

and the invite goes to any other couple out there aswell. the more the better.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about areas to ride? I think I may try to get her out to Cataract first, as it's an easy day trip from Calgary, and it will get her used to the controls on the trails (though going for a trail ride on a mountain sled isn't the most fun). There are also a few little areas where you can play around if there is enough snow. Then I was thinking of heading to Quartz since there is such a wide variety of terrain. I can have her play around in the meadow and get used to deep snow manoeuvres, the trail in is well maintained and there is a great cabin to warm up. If she wants to try some hills they are readily available.

Fernie with the new cabin will be nice as well. Easy groomed trails, new cabin and that big meadow by the old Wranglers cabin is great for newbies as well.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie with the new cabin will be nice as well. Easy groomed trails, new cabin and that big meadow by the old Wranglers cabin is great for newbies as well.

I do a lot of my riding in the Rolling Hills, so the new cabin will be great to have there. Thanks all for the advice, keep it coming.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trish. Great article, actually reminds me of a few experiences getting a couple of my non-sledder guy friends out...I think their girlfriends would have been easier to deal with.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We (my daughter Katie and I) would love to join you and your girlfriend some time. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can get together(We go to Cataract often).

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We (my daughter Katie and I) would love to join you and your girlfriend some time. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can get together(We go to Cataract often).

Will do. I'll have to find a sled for her to use there, maybe borrow a buddy's. Don't want to get her one yet, until I know she will like it.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will do. I'll have to find a sled for her to use there, maybe borrow a buddy's. Don't want to get her one yet, until I know she will like it.

Yep, good call. If she likes the bikes I'm thinking she will LOVE the sleds, Just keep her warm! We can take some fire wood with us to Cataract and stoke up the stove at the cabin parking lot if we have to. Will focus on her 100% to make sure she has a great day.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-Forget skiing, get her into snowboarding. Way more comfortable and way warmer boots, and have you sledded in ski boots? not for a beginner and still sucks if you're not beginner. No poles. Powder riding is easier on a snowboard too. Take her out to ride some nice powder (focus on her getting fun pow laps) using the sled and she will like sledding more already. Get a Knight Rider rack for your sled as hitting her in the head with the board that is strapped to your backpack isn't fun for her.
-Go somewhere with a warm-up cabin and make sure to take a few warm up breaks, including right when you get there.
-Make sure she has the warmest, most comfortable, easy to move in clothes. See if you can find her some super warm gloves that have good handlebar control, mitts are warmer but I don't like the lack of dexterity with mitts on a sled.
-Have some sort of warm food and drink. Muffpot lunch, or a thermos of chunky soup warms the insides up way better than a sandwich and chips. And bring a thermos of hot chocolate and Baily's as well.
-Try and make it out on some nice sunny and decently warm days at the start.
-get a snowbunjie. the easier you make it look pulling her out, the less apprehensive she will be of getting stuck, the quicker she'll improve and stop getting stuck
-you work 2 weeks on 2 off, take her out mid week if you can so the parking lot isn't a show, the trail isn't a race, and the hill isn't full of dudes ripping everywhere.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, good call. If she likes the bikes I'm thinking she will LOVE the sleds, Just keep her warm! We can take some fire wood with us to Cataract and stoke up the stove at the cabin parking lot if we have to. Will focus on her 100% to make sure she has a great day.

I'm hoping she loves it, that way she gets my 2012 Pro 155, and I get a 2014 Pro 163. :common001:

Top Bottom