.Looking for a good sled for 15 year old daughter.........HELP!!!

crazeejames

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations from the ladies and others, as to what sled I should get for my 15 year old daughter. She has never been to the mountains before, but has ridden flat land extensively on a old MXZ583, a 2007 Phazer MTX, and an Apex MTX. She learned on the ol 583, moved to the Phazer(she hated it.....to tippy and gutless, hard to control) She is on the APEX now, but I'm thinking its pretty heavy for a 15 year old girl in the hills.........not to mention who is going to have to dig it out :(
Anyways, thats the background, she has her heart set on an XP chassis doo(mainly cause she likes the looks :) ). I'm just looking for honest feedback on what you ladies or what you guys started your kids on. I'm not brand loyal by any means so open to anything........I did find a 2009 Summit XP 600, but it has 4500km on it........are the 600's more reliable than the 800's? Should I shy away from this sled?
Oh ya, trying to keep it below the 6k'ish mark.
Thanks for any input..........
Bring on the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We started out teenagers on a 2008 M6. Just enough power but not too much. We then lightened it up with a bunch of Skinz parts and voila perfect sled for them!! Our son who is 20 now can make that baby hop and skip and dance. It is pure poetry in motion to watch him ride that thing. Although he can do that on my Nytro too I think that is more a testament as to the level of rider he is! Yet our 17year old daughter can jump on that sled and it is well within her capability too as can our 15 year old son.

We also have a 2000 powder special and that thing is bullet proof. It has been through a few "incidents" and has come out of unscathed.

Both sleds have the 600 power plants under them. To me it is enough for them to learn how to ride without the sled riding them kwim?

Jan

PS We may have that M6 up for sale this year. There are pics of it on our website.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008-10 arctic cat m8 would be my suggestion super common lots out there. With chassis change last year, prices have fallen a bit.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started on a Skidoo 600 rev and it's a good sled for sure, the XP should be better. A longer track would be an improvement like the pros and cats have now.
They are cheaper to run from our experience. We had an 800 rev too and it was twice as much per trip and alot more maintenance $ per year.

crazeejames

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Jan, that M6 looks pretty good.........let me know if you are serious about selling it. I've never had a Cat, the only thing I know about them is they seem a lot cheaper than all the other 3 manufacturers.......never looked into why........

FeethookersCanada

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would put a little more with it and get a 600 pro. or even a 800. that chassis takes very little rider input she would be ripping in no time.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
recently got this 2008 m6 on trade- very nice shape.... upgraded skis, skid plate, one owner... hmk wrap.... 5700 out the door..
i have the same sled for my daughter and have had some time on an m6 myself (2011 demo) nice light sled...efi pushbutton reverse... rear rack.. also makes a great back up sled.... when they discontinued the m6 in 2011 i grabbed up 6 new 2010 s and 8 new 2011 still crated..:) :) so i do have new if your interested...
let me know.....if your interested...780-826-6121 work or 780-826-0319 cell 08 m6.jpg

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
recently got this 2008 m6 on trade- very nice shape.... upgraded skis, skid plate, one owner... hmk wrap.... 5700 out the door..
i have the same sled for my daughter and have had some time on an m6 myself (2011 demo) nice light sled...efi pushbutton reverse... rear rack.. also makes a great back up sled.... when they discontinued the m6 in 2011 i grabbed up 6 new 2010 s and 8 new 2011 still crated..:) :) so i do have new if your interested...
let me know.....if your interested...780-826-6121 work or 780-826-0319 cellView attachment 137893

What are you selling the 10 and 11's for?

etecturbo

Reaction score
Get your daughter on a 800 154 and see will do fine, if you buy something smaller you will be buying another sled next winter cause see will get bored of a little sled

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You just can't beat the 600 class. My girls love ours. Three daughters that are 21, 18, and 14. I'm Polaris brand loyal ... that's just the way it is. We bought our '08 used with just over 2000km on it two years ago. Don't go with the smaller track in this chassi, go 153-155. Ours isn't EFI but runs flawlessly just the same. They also have the choice of riding my 800 but the little 6 is still their favorite. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy what ever you decide to buy. Like my girls she will be happy riding anything cause she's out with her dad. They grow up fast and priorities tend to change ... dam teenaged boys

:hunter2:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have my 15 yr old daughter on a M6 144, and it has been perfect for a learning sled. She can go almost anywhere I go, and she has loved riding it. Her older sister started on an M7 but we found the M6 to be just the right combo. Mines a 2007, will also be for sale this season if interested, shoot me a pm.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations from the ladies and others, as to what sled I should get for my 15 year old daughter. She has never been to the mountains before, but has ridden flat land extensively on a old MXZ583, a 2007 Phazer MTX, and an Apex MTX. She learned on the ol 583, moved to the Phazer(she hated it.....to tippy and gutless, hard to control) She is on the APEX now, but I'm thinking its pretty heavy for a 15 year old girl in the hills.........not to mention who is going to have to dig it out :(
Anyways, thats the background, she has her heart set on an XP chassis doo(mainly cause she likes the looks :) ). I'm just looking for honest feedback on what you ladies or what you guys started your kids on. I'm not brand loyal by any means so open to anything........I did find a 2009 Summit XP 600, but it has 4500km on it........are the 600's more reliable than the 800's? Should I shy away from this sled?
Oh ya, trying to keep it below the 6k'ish mark.
Thanks for any input..........
Bring on the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazee:

Been down your road - feel your pain.

My daughter started at 8 on a 300 Freestyle, which I had long tracked. Great sled to learn on for her - as it had a narrow front end and she was almost able to carve it by the time she was 10. At 10, the 300 had an unfortunate accident off the back of the deck - and was replaced with a 550 Backcountry Freestyle. Lightweight - but that front end was too wide for her to get muscle into a carve. It was basically a trail sled. I picked up a 2010 600 Etech with a 154 when I got back into sledding myself in 2009 after a year's layoff (unfortunate back accident). When the 800 Etech came out - I immediately bought that and daughter took over the 600 Etech. I was also able to trade the 2010 front end for the narrower 2011 Summit front end and shocks with a guy out east last year. Even though she hasn't sledded that much over the last couple of years because of some health issues, she has been able to really make that thing go. She is also a big girl - 5'`11 and 135lbs and very athletic.

So a few things I have learned over the years in dealing with daughters and sled. First - you have to make the sled really easy for them to lay over. We tried an M7 for her (it was a smoking deal with a lot of lightweight parts). She hated it after coming off an XP. She compared it to the old S chassis Doo we have for playing around the lake at home. I love Arctic Cat mills - but hate the ergos on the M class machines even though they were easier to lay over than a stock XP.

Second - don't let anyone kid you on a 600 mill. For a lady I think they have plenty of guts and I don't think they will "outgrow" them. I am 6 feet - 175 lbs. I can ride that 600 Etech and come withing 10 feet of my buds climbing on their 800s. That mill is torquey and has very smooth linear power. In the trees I can smoke them. That 600 Etech mill is deceptively quick. And my daughter is not overwhelmed by the throttle response as she is with the 800.

So last year spring she came with me on the XM tour at Revy. Even though she was feeling week and not 100% (more like 45% - LOL) - she had a blast on that new XM chassis. She was able on flat ground to pull that thing on its side with minimal effort. A couple of other women who were on the ride said exactly the same thing - easiest sled they have ever rode. So guess what Dad bought - T Motion kit for the 600. Sigh. And I am buying one of those rod breaking kits to get the track more flexible as well..

If you want your daughter to have fun in the mountains - you are going to have to make it easy for her. One bad experience will set you way back - take my word for it. I love going up with my daughter even more than I like going up with the guys. So much satisfaction in seeing her try something new, learn a new skill, etc. I know that it will take more than 6 K, but I would look for a 2011 XP 600 or 800. Throw a T-Motion in it for the $350 that costs. Perfect ladies sled. The only problem is that the 600 are scarcer than hen's teeth.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 here too. My 15 year old daughter says she didn't like the 800 (she tried mine twice last year). Granted she is a new rider but she said it felt too heavy and had too much power. Plus she couldnt pull it over to start it.

Top Bottom