Buying A Cheap Sled

JDweld98

Reaction score
I've decided that I wan't to buy myself a super cheap snowmobile. Something that I could possibly pick up for under $1500. I realize that's a pretty low number but I just recently bought two ATV's (2014 Polaris Sportsman 850XP H.O. and a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 550 Touring) along with a 2015 H&H 7x16 enclosed trailer to store and haul them, which means my budget for new toys is pretty depleted at the moment and that's why I'm going to be pretty firm with that budget. I've looked on craigslist to give myself an idea of what I can get for that price and as what would make sense; the sleds had consistently high mileage, aren't in great condition, and were made mostly within the early to late 90's. "Not running" also popped up a fair amount of times. There was certainly no shortage of options here in central Minnesota. I expected old and beat up snowmobiles for my budget but I'm actually happy with that. I'm looking for a project. Whatever I get, I plan to immediately rebuild the engine and hopefully install a few performance parts while I'm at it. Then over the next couple of years I'll continually upgrade and restore it. Now if I'm being honest I really don't know much at all about snowmobiles. I've completed the online safety course and got my certificate and that's about it. I'm hoping I can get some advice in looking for a snowmobile in my price range of <$1500. What brands should I look for and which should I stay away from? Ideally I would want something that has replacement parts available for a reasonable price, good build quality, has performance parts available, and is in general a good base to build on and is not designed in a way where they're unnecessarily complicated to work on. I would also love to hear your opinions on if there are any brands you think I should look for or avoid. Anything that I should also consider and did not mention would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any advice you can give and tolerating a bit of my ramblings.

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
Technology has come a long way, it will cost you twice as much to build an old sled as to buy a newer one and you would still only have half the machine in the end.
JMO

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guy comes on here and tells you what his budget is, and that he's firm on it, then you guys suggest he spend more money! Really! :doh:

I'm not really a Doo guy, but in your price range I'd suggest looking at something like a 670 Summit. Should be lots of them around, and that engine was rock solid. My wife and sister both had them for years and it was a really capable sled for it's era.

Last edited:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a 97 809 tripple on kijiji Edmonton just needs a track and is in your budget new motor will try to find the link.

Cyrus747

Reaction score
maybe like a 99-00 RMK 700 in ..that price range..had a mtn max 700 that never let me down. might find something like that.

olymon

Reaction score
x2 on a 700 rmk. I did have an xlt that was piped and ported and picked it up for your price range. It was a fun sled but are rings like french fries. Get a twin and enjoy the torque. If you have a smart phone and a good data plan I would suggest putting a craigslist app on your phone that updates the postings so you can snag up a deal if one comes along.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
Guy comes on here and tells you what his budget is, and that he's firm on it, then you guys suggest he spend more money! Really! :doh:

I'm not really a Doo guy, but in your price range I'd suggest looking at something like a 670 Summit. Should be lots of them around, and that engine was rock solid. My wife and sister both had them for years and it was a really capable sled for it's era.

Sorry, I understand that, but many people don't realize the high cost of snowmobile parts (I didn't). I was just trying to save him money in the long run, not trying to be a jerk.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I understand that, but many people don't realize the high cost of snowmobile parts (I didn't). I was just trying to save him money in the long run, not trying to be a jerk.

I agree with this. If you buy a sled needing work a $1500sled can quickly become a 3-4k sled at which point you probably could have gotten a good running used newer unit

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1500.00 sled + $2000.00 (new motor) = a good used M8 (with a very good fun factor and reliable)

a $1500.00 dollar sled with $5000.00 worth of parts is still worth $1500.00

JDweld98

Reaction score
I agree with this. If you buy a sled needing work a $1500sled can quickly become a 3-4k sled at which point you probably could have gotten a good running used newer unit

I'll likely buy a new snowmobile in the future but right now I'm really just looking for a project more than anything. If I raised my budget and bought a newer and more expensive sled I still wouldn't keep it stock. I'd turn a $5k sled into a $10k sled and a $10k sled into a $15k project. I'm not thinking that I'm going to be able to buy an old $1500 snowmobile, throw a few performance parts at it, then have it match the performance of a brand new $10k race sled. I want something that I can play around with and not be terrified of scratching it a bit the entire time I'm working on it.

JDweld98

Reaction score
$1500.00 sled + $2000.00 (new motor) = a good used M8 (with a very good fun factor and reliable)

a $1500.00 dollar sled with $5000.00 worth of parts is still worth $1500.00

I'm not really concerned with resale. It's simply going to be a project that I'll beat on until it's destroyed. When I'm buying something that's already about as cheap as they come I wouldn't consider reselling it. The small amount that I could ever get for it just wouldn't be worth it.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really concerned with resale. It's simply going to be a project that I'll beat on until it's destroyed. When I'm buying something that's already about as cheap as they come I wouldn't consider reselling it. The small amount that I could ever get for it just wouldn't be worth it.

You will have to buy a $80000 diesel dually long box 4x4 crew cab to. In case you need to haul it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilsner

Reaction score
I'll likely buy a new snowmobile in the future but right now I'm really just looking for a project more than anything. If I raised my budget and bought a newer and more expensive sled I still wouldn't keep it stock. I'd turn a $5k sled into a $10k sled and a $10k sled into a $15k project. I'm not thinking that I'm going to be able to buy an old $1500 snowmobile, throw a few performance parts at it, then have it match the performance of a brand new $10k race sled. I want something that I can play around with and not be terrified of scratching it a bit the entire time I'm working on it.
I would look for a Summit 600, 99-02. Reliable motor with sleeves. ZX was a good chassis for its day. Once you get into 700's and 800's, things break more often.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see you are from Minnesota, and this is mostly a forum with mostly B.C., Alberta, and Sask. sledders. Given the exchange on the dollar (US ---> Can), might I suggest you look to somewhere close in Ontario to find a sled in the price range you are looking for? Might find a good deal?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I was going to say the same $1500 USD is over $2K CAD. Check mountain sledder swapmeet on Facebook, most of those guys are Mercan and the prices never cease to amaze me. $2K for an 06 M7, $2200 for an 05 rev 800, $650 for a 93 phazer in excellent condition.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/579315518800379 It's a closed group and you will have to request permission but good buys on there

JDweld98

Reaction score
I was going to say the same $1500 USD is over $2K CAD. Check mountain sledder swapmeet on Facebook, most of those guys are Mercan and the prices never cease to amaze me. $2K for an 06 M7, $2200 for an 05 rev 800, $650 for a 93 phazer in excellent condition.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/579315518800379 It's a closed group and you will have to request permission but good buys on there

It would make for a pretty lengthy drive to get anything in Canada. I'm seven hours from Winnepeg. But if the price is right it's definitely something I would have to consider.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It would make for a pretty lengthy drive to get anything in Canada. I'm seven hours from Winnepeg. But if the price is right it's definitely something I would have to consider.

That swapmeet site is mostly US guys.

Top Bottom