Budget Drag Racing Sled

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
If you had to pick a used sled to be used as a drag sled, what would you buy? Keep in mind availability of aftermarket parts to upgrade as needed.
------
I just sold my quad so I may pick up a used sled over the summer and go racing next winter.

----
Update with some general classification rules.

NOTE: 440 / 600 SNO-X sleds will not be run in any STOCK class – enter SNO-X, IMPROVED, or MODMachines over 10 years old will be classed at director’s discretion.All sleds MUST HAVE functional tether or throttle safety switches.Rubber tracks only, unless a stock original part.No picks in any class except MOD & SNO-X.4 STROKESListing the lowest class you may enter:

Yamaha:

Attack Apex 1000 cc 4 cyl

Stock: -- 700 stk,/ mtn 800Modified: 700 imp/, mtn 800 Nos: mod 800Turbo:mod /mtn unlimited/

RX-1,Warrior, 998 4 cyl 
Viper NytroVector Rage 975 & 1049 3 cyl

Stk- 600 stk, Mod – 600 Imp/Mtn 800 withNOS –Mod 800 Turbo Mod/mtn unlimited

Phazer 500:

Stock: 500 stkModified: imp 500NOS- mod 800turbo – mod/mtn unlimitedArctic Cat:

660 Non-turbo-- 500 stk
660 Modified-- 500 imp
660 Stock turbo- 700 stk
660 Modified turbo- unlimited 
7000 models 2014 1049 triple

Stock -600 stk/Mtn 800Mod- 600 imp/mtn 800 with NOS mod 800Turbo – mod/mtn unlimited

1100 models1056 Twin

Stk – 700 stk/mtn 800Mod – 700imp/mtn 800Nwith NOS- Mod 800Turbo-mod/mtn unlimited

1100 Turbo models 1056 twin with Factory tu

Stk – imp 1000 Mod – mod/mtn unlimited

Ski Doo:

600 twin - Stock 500 
600 twin mod –Imp 500

Nos: mod 800 -Turbo: mod/mtn unlimited,

1000 Twin: 500 stk, mod 500 imp

Nos: Mod 800Turbo’d – mod/mtn unlimited

900 & 1200 3 cyl:

Stock 600 stk,/ mtn 800Modified: 600 imp/, mtn 800Nos: mod 800/mtn 800Turbo:mod/ mtn unlimited
Polaris:

FST 750:-- 500 Stk
FST 750 Factory Turbo:-- 1000 Imp

Modified Turbo –mod/mtn unlimted/

MODMust have functional clutch/belt guards, without hood / pan need enclosed guard.Any sled with picks must have track enclosed by tunnel as per ISR regulations 
and secured full-length snow flap.NOS allowed in all classesTurbo / Superchargers may run in unlimited and king only.440/600 SNOWCROSS

MX Z X —XCR/IQ —ZR/sno-pro Designated ‘factory race’ sled class.

Picks allowed with tunnel enclosure. May also run in IMPROVED, MOD

MOUNTAINCustom built, factory built, or modified for mountain use.Functional clutch/belt guardsFull travel suspension, minimum 6” downward travel, no limiting.Chassis and engine must be in ‘mountain rideable’ configuration.Minimum 36" x 4.5" skis144" X 2" track No track lug trimming - lugs must be full original length.NOS allowed in all mtn classesAftermarket Turbo / Superchargers may run in Unlimited and King only.VINTAGE DRAGS

20 YEARS AND OLDER (1991 and prior)
There will be a fan class and a liquid cooled class.

STOCK

NOT ALLOWED:
ANY MODIFICATION WHICH MAY INCREASE POWER OR LOWER WEIGHT
such as, but not limited too:

Non-original pipes or mufflersinternal or external engine modscarb / intake / rotary valve / reed changesremoval of or lightweight chassis partsTraction products – picks / screwsFuel additives / race / aviation fuel

ALLOWED:

EFI/Carb/clutch/chassis tuning and adjusting.Max overbore 0.020”Any rubber track, any track drivers, tunnel and rail extensions.Add/remove idler wheels – no big wheel kitsSuspension tie downs – but must maintain 2” travel.Any skis minimum 36”Removal of windshield & hood grillesReplacement of stock airbox with air filtersExternal jetting systemsReplacement chassis parts at director’s discretion.'Bolt in’ after market parts in stock clutches - no machining to install – no engagement RPM limitIMPROVED STOCK

NOT ALLOWED:

Stroke changesBoring beyond 1% over class cc limitNitrous hardware-functional or notEngine block must look stock for the model

ALLOWED:
All items allowed in ‘stock’ plus Any:

FuelClutchesSilenced exhaustAirbox / filtersCooling system modsBored stock carbs or throttle bodiesInternal engine mods-porting etc.Big bore kits to 1% over class limit‘Same brand’ engine swaps at directors discretion

2 ONLY ADDITIONAL LIGHTWEIGHT/REPLACEMENT/MODS SUCH AS, NOT LIMITED TO:

Rolled chaincaseFront suspensionRear suspensionHood / seat / body panelsJackshaft + drive axleRemoval/lightening of chassis parts

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newer sled I'd be looking at an apex, nitro, or z1turbo. But the old big bore triples were all pretty quick. I just don't know what kind of availability there is on parts for the old triples.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would probably go with the wedge chassis and whatever motor you feel fit to put in it.

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
Newer sled I'd be looking at an apex, nitro, or z1turbo. But the old big bore triples were all pretty quick. I just don't know what kind of availability there is on parts for the old triples.

A stock fourstroke for drag racing? I know I could turbo one and it would be insane. But I'm looking to buy a sled cheap(under $5K) and keeping it mostly stock so I can race in corresponding class(Improved/modified) based on the classes CC's.

I would probably go with the wedge chassis and whatever motor you feel fit to put in it.

I've been out of snowmobiling for a while. Are you referring to a older Polaris or a custom chassis?

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
I was thinking somewhere along an older FireCat/Crossfire or a Older Mxz/Renegade in a REV chassis. My one reason for wanting to keep it fairly cheap is because I have no idea how much it will cost to travel around the province and other places going to these races.

My last sled was a 2008 MxzXrs 800. I had that sled dialed in really well. It was running well enough that people thought I had a different motor or had work done on it. The engine was stock, I just spent a lot of time fine tuning the suspension, clutching and gearing.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy I sold my 96 summit 670 mod was going to build it in to a drag racing sled

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
The guy I sold my 96 summit 670 mod was going to build it in to a drag racing sled

I'm thinking a 128"-144" track length would be best, as most places don't allow studs. So the extra track length should help getting out of the hole on such short races(660',1000',1320')

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
Budget and drag racing don't go in the same sentence together.

Haha true enough. I'll be willing to spend money on the sled after getting it and seeing how it runs. I'm mostly interested in finding a a stock sled that would be a good performer in stock/improved classes. And one that has a good aftermarket support, both new and used.

I'd rather start small and cheap them dump a bunch of money into something and not have the time or resources to compete. I can always sell and upgrade or just upgrade with parts as I go.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can buy turbo rx1 for cheap,built one for a freind & it beats up on most of the fastest sleds bikes & cars around here.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A stock fourstroke for drag racing? I know I could turbo one and it would be insane. But I'm looking to buy a sled cheap(under $5K) and keeping it mostly stock so I can race in corresponding class(Improved/modified) based on the classes CC's.

I've been out of snowmobiling for a while. Are you referring to a older Polaris or a custom chassis?
Didn't realize you were looking to stay stockish. The value of turbo nitros and apex has really dropped the last few years that's why I suggested it. The f7 was known for being pretty quick, but with the smaller track hookup might be an issue.

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
Didn't realize you were looking to stay stockish. The value of turbo nitros and apex has really dropped the last few years that's why I suggested it. The f7 was known for being pretty quick, but with the smaller track hookup might be an issue.

I've thought about turbo fourstroke, just not sure if I want to possibly buy someone's lemon. As well I believe it would put me into an Open class for racing against all the heavy hitters.

I only want to stay stockist at first to see how much it will cost and to keep repairs to a minimum and much easier to diagnose issues versus having to deal with someone else's possible mickey moused together hack job.....lol.

Minimum changes can have a big affect on a stockish sled in 1320' or less. But when your playing with 200+ hp, it gets more expensive and complicated to improve....etc.

I'm open to anything though, as I don't plan to buy until the summer. At that point I will do some preventative maintenance and get the sled dialed in.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

older Polaris chassis

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
Some general rules to help choose the best sled. I'm not necessarily looking to have the fastest overall sled. I looking to have the best sled that will allow me to run in multiple classes and be competitive in them. Ie: A 600 that could run 600 and 800 classes etc.
-----
NOTE: 440 / 600 SNO-X sleds will not be run in any STOCK class – enter SNO-X, IMPROVED, or MODMachines over 10 years old will be classed at director’s discretion.All sleds MUST HAVE functional tether or throttle safety switches.Rubber tracks only, unless a stock original part.No picks in any class except MOD & SNO-X.4 STROKESListing the lowest class you may enter:

Yamaha:

Attack Apex 1000 cc 4 cyl

Stock: -- 700 stk,/ mtn 800Modified: 700 imp/, mtn 800 Nos: mod 800Turbo:mod /mtn unlimited/

RX-1,Warrior, 998 4 cyl 
Viper NytroVector Rage 975 & 1049 3 cyl

Stk- 600 stk, Mod – 600 Imp/Mtn 800 withNOS –Mod 800 Turbo Mod/mtn unlimited

Phazer 500:

Stock: 500 stkModified: imp 500NOS- mod 800turbo – mod/mtn unlimitedArctic Cat:

660 Non-turbo-- 500 stk
660 Modified-- 500 imp
660 Stock turbo- 700 stk
660 Modified turbo- unlimited 
7000 models 2014 1049 triple

Stock -600 stk/Mtn 800Mod- 600 imp/mtn 800 with NOS mod 800Turbo – mod/mtn unlimited

1100 models1056 Twin

Stk – 700 stk/mtn 800Mod – 700imp/mtn 800Nwith NOS- Mod 800Turbo-mod/mtn unlimited

1100 Turbo models 1056 twin with Factory tu

Stk – imp 1000 Mod – mod/mtn unlimited

Ski Doo:

600 twin - Stock 500 
600 twin mod –Imp 500

Nos: mod 800 -Turbo: mod/mtn unlimited,

1000 Twin: 500 stk, mod 500 imp

Nos: Mod 800Turbo’d – mod/mtn unlimited

900 & 1200 3 cyl:

Stock 600 stk,/ mtn 800Modified: 600 imp/, mtn 800Nos: mod 800/mtn 800Turbo:mod/ mtn unlimited
Polaris:

FST 750:-- 500 Stk
FST 750 Factory Turbo:-- 1000 Imp

Modified Turbo –mod/mtn unlimted/

MODMust have functional clutch/belt guards, without hood / pan need enclosed guard.Any sled with picks must have track enclosed by tunnel as per ISR regulations 
and secured full-length snow flap.NOS allowed in all classesTurbo / Superchargers may run in unlimited and king only.440/600 SNOWCROSS

MX Z X —XCR/IQ —ZR/sno-pro Designated ‘factory race’ sled class.

Picks allowed with tunnel enclosure. May also run in IMPROVED, MOD

MOUNTAINCustom built, factory built, or modified for mountain use.Functional clutch/belt guardsFull travel suspension, minimum 6” downward travel, no limiting.Chassis and engine must be in ‘mountain rideable’ configuration.Minimum 36" x 4.5" skis144" X 2" track No track lug trimming - lugs must be full original length.NOS allowed in all mtn classesAftermarket Turbo / Superchargers may run in Unlimited and King only.VINTAGE DRAGS

20 YEARS AND OLDER (1991 and prior)
There will be a fan class and a liquid cooled class.

STOCK

NOT ALLOWED:
ANY MODIFICATION WHICH MAY INCREASE POWER OR LOWER WEIGHT
such as, but not limited too:

Non-original pipes or mufflersinternal or external engine modscarb / intake / rotary valve / reed changesremoval of or lightweight chassis partsTraction products – picks / screwsFuel additives / race / aviation fuel

ALLOWED:

EFI/Carb/clutch/chassis tuning and adjusting.Max overbore 0.020”Any rubber track, any track drivers, tunnel and rail extensions.Add/remove idler wheels – no big wheel kitsSuspension tie downs – but must maintain 2” travel.Any skis minimum 36”Removal of windshield & hood grillesReplacement of stock airbox with air filtersExternal jetting systemsReplacement chassis parts at director’s discretion.'Bolt in’ after market parts in stock clutches - no machining to install – no engagement RPM limitIMPROVED STOCK

NOT ALLOWED:

Stroke changesBoring beyond 1% over class cc limitNitrous hardware-functional or notEngine block must look stock for the model

ALLOWED:
All items allowed in ‘stock’ plus Any:

FuelClutchesSilenced exhaustAirbox / filtersCooling system modsBored stock carbs or throttle bodiesInternal engine mods-porting etc.Big bore kits to 1% over class limit‘Same brand’ engine swaps at directors discretion

2 ONLY ADDITIONAL LIGHTWEIGHT/REPLACEMENT/MODS SUCH AS, NOT LIMITED TO:

Rolled chaincaseFront suspensionRear suspensionHood / seat / body panelsJackshaft + drive axleRemoval/lightening of chassis parts

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Back in the day we ran ashphalt with an XCR 800.

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
Back in the day we ran ashphalt with an XCR 800.

I'm debating between a 600/800 twin versus triple.

What would be better for 660' though. I know triples have longer legs in stock firm. But I thinking with proper gearing and clutching they could be beast in 660 as well.

Top Bottom