Canadian Power Tobaggan Championships in Beausejour MB Mar 3-5 2012

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Well we're off to the CPTC in Beausejour!
(FINAL RACE OF THE SEASON!)

It is the 50th Anniversary of this prestigous Great Canadian Snowmobile Race!

You can now follow our team's daily results and antics on FACEBOOK HERE
So far it looks like AB and BC will have better representation in BJ this year! :party:

NB Racing (Nagel Brothers Racing) will be there with their full team and competing in 250 IFS and IFS-X (81 Scorpion SnoPro) , F500 (91 Indy 500/Houle) and Pro Sprint 600 (Wahl Bros Chassis) classes as well as Super Stock 440 (78 SRX) Women's F500 and Masters 340 FA. Plus Kevin and I will likely "make some laps" (can't call it much more than that lol) in the "Mechanics Race" which features a fund-rasier for Curtis Boivan who was severly brain-injured in a Pro Champ wreck at the season opener back in in early December.

I also know LIBA RACING (Russell and Warren) from Warburg AB will be competing in 340 and 440 IFS and IFS-X classes (with a pair of beautiful 1981 Ski-Doo offsets) as well as the father and son duo will be racing EACH OTHER in the JERRY BUNKE MEMORIAL vintage IFS "round robin" event.

Greg S. from Rocky Mtn House AB ( on these forums) is bringing his freshly built F500 sled and his gal is also be running the sled it in the Women's F500 :beer:

I also believe Dennis S. and Barry B. from BC might be making the trip out to Beausejour as well (although I don't se their entries on the CPTC website yet)

Many thanks and congrats on a successful 1st season to NB Team members - drivers Nick Butze, Curtis Pederson and wrench/tuner extraordinaire Bruce Rosentreter.
As well of course to our amazing "support" team Lesley Stoering, Katrina Lavoie, Leanne Takanan, and Maria Miles.
Also Thanks to Al Enno, Randy Olsen, Team Szalai, Norm Lavoie, Gary Pederson, Brian Fuhrmann, and Chris Haywood for the help this season.

and of course to our sponsors: HMK USA, NGK Spark Plugs, Woody's, VP Race Fuels, Sno-Pro Unlimited, T9N Welding, and Wahl Brothers Racing

Wish us Luck!
WopOnTour

PS>
Below is some pics of the NB Racing team and sleds driven by team members Nick Butze (#88) and Curtis Pederson (#52X) as well as some of our "support team" ;)

Attachments

• 88_NickButze_NB_Racing.jpg
    88_NickButze_NB_Racing.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 235
  • NB_Team1.jpg
    NB_Team1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 204
  • NB4.jpg
    NB4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 246
  • NB5.jpg
    NB5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 233
  • NB6.jpg
    NB6.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Nick and Curt.jpg
    Nick and Curt.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 218
  • NB Racing INC_SM.jpg
    NB Racing INC_SM.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck down there Alan. Give em' hell!!HaHa. Tell Warren to watch out for the old man in the father/son match up. He is sneaky fast when you least expect it. Lol.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Good luck down there Alan. Give em' hell!!HaHa. Tell Warren to watch out for the old man in the father/son match up. He is sneaky fast when you least expect it. Lol.
Thanks Ken. We'll do our best!
Should be a great time.
With you could be there- maybe next year at ER?? :beer:
WOT

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Well all-in-all NB Racing did pretty well in BJ last weekenda
a 2nd in 440 Super Stock (78 SRX) from Curtis #52X
a 2nd in 600 Pro Sprint from Nick #88

The Western F500 sleds (ours #88, Dennis Schade. #8, Barry Backus #75BC, Greg Shepertyky #07) were competitive but didnt fair all that well not makign the final in a HUGE field.
BUT
the highlight was a local gal Amy B. from Rocky Mountain House that won the Women's F500 event! (on bf Greg's #07 sled- his very first build, quite the accomplishment)
I can't remember the last time an Albertan was Canadian Champ- Donnie Benson in 1980 perhaps? Ken do you recalll?
Another standout was 51 year-old Russell Liba, dispite a few equipment failures his beautiful 1982 Moto-Ski 440X was a standout, FAST! even winning one of the Jerry Bunke round-robin heats...
Pretty Cool

Attachments

• BJ1.jpg
    BJ1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 183
  • BJ2.jpg
    BJ2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 152
  • BJ6.jpg
    BJ6.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 162
  • BJ99.jpg
    BJ99.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 156
  • BJ10.jpg
    BJ10.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Bj11.jpg
    Bj11.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 154
  • BJ8.jpg
    BJ8.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 155
  • bj16.jpg
    bj16.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 129
  • BJ15.jpg
    BJ15.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 154
  • BJ12.jpg
    BJ12.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Reactions: RXN

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Russell is still in game shape. Not so much me anymore...............................lol.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Looks like Russell is still in game shape. Not so much me anymore...............................lol.
He sure is. He (and his son Warren on the #9 '82 Ski-Doo) looked great all weekend but were plagued by a myriad of mechanical issues from belts blowing, to leaky fuel tanks, to failed tail-lamps, and "no-starts" (watching people taking turns trying to get Warren's sled started in the staging lanes was very dissappointing given how much work they put into that 340)

But had Russell even "placed" top-5 in ONE other heat he would have WON the Jerry Bunke Memorial Trophy!
So there were a few dissapointments...
But at least the Western Canadian crowd closed down the bar @4:30am Monday morning out-lasting everyone! lol.
WOT

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't beat them at the track then beat em in the bar! Thats my motto!

WopOnTour

Reaction score
If you don't beat them at the track then beat em in the bar! Thats my motto!
Agreed!
We pwned! The bar owner had to drive us back to the hotel as the cabs (strike that, CAB) had quit running! lol
There were quite a few ex-NWSA racers out to watch in Beausejour actually.
Also seen Len Bratko, Ken & Fred Fagnan, Ken Dohie, even Kevin Weisner!
(you gotta come next year dude)
WOT
PS> I added a couple more pics

Last edited:

think_07

Reaction score
Well last weekend was the most fun the both of us had ever had! If anyone has ever thought or ever dreamed of racing ice oval sleds you've got to get out there and try! Its the biggest thrill and most fun ever.
We want to send out a big thank you to everyone that helped us get the sled running, and all their support all weekend. We couldn't have done it without Bruce Rosentreter, Nick Butze, Alan Nagel, Kevin Nagel, Brian Healey, the rest of NB Racing, and everyone else. Never have we met such a great bunch of people in any motorsport that were so willing to help with everything they could.
We will definetly be back next December, hopefully with another F-500 sled, and a vintage mod leafer. Also my brother is now wanting to build himself a super stock vintage leafer also and give it a try. Should be a blast.

Greg Shepertycky #07 and Amy Boyd #911

Last edited:

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Well last weekend was the most fun the both of us had ever had! If anyone has ever thought or ever dreamed of racing ice oval sleds you've got to get out there and try! Its the biggest thrill and most fun ever.
We want to send out a big thank you to everyone that helped us get the sled running, and all their support all weekend. We couldn't have done it without Bruce Rosentreter, Nick Butze, Alan Nagel, Kevin Nagel, Brian Healey, the rest of NB Racing, and everyone else. Never have we met such a great bunch of people in any motorsport that were so willing to help with everything they could.
We will definetly be back next December, hopefully with another F-500 sled, and a vintage mod leafer. Also my brother is now wanting to build himself a super stock vintage leafer also and give it a try. Should be a blast.

Greg Shepertycky #07 and Amy Boyd #911
Thanks for the "props" Greg, glad to ba able to provide morale support to "new" racers. Some great friendships formed that weekend I think! :D
Already looking forwar dto what you'll build for next season.

Below are a few more pics from BJ
For me it was the first time to witness first hand the all-new enclosed cockpit "600 Outlaw" class. I've called them an "abomination" from the start, but despite being slower than 440s they were pretty entertaining, and I can see the attraction. Time will tell if this new class will be sucessful.

I also want to give recognition to another "Way West" race team that I failed to mention in my initial post above.
Kevin Fleming #478 from Sicamous BC brought out a couple of beautiful vintage '73 FA Blizzards that were a pleasure to watch!
For me they flashed me right back to seeing Yvon Duhamel and Claude Desrosiers with the exact same sleds, when they came out to run at the Calgary Stampede grounds in 1974.

Kevin managed to place 3rd in both 340 and 440 Vintage Mod both of which are very large classes
Great stuff!

HERE'S A LINK TO ALL OF THE RESULTS OF THE 50th CANADIAN POWER TOBAGGAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
WOT

Attachments

• 0413hk7_20.jpg
    0413hk7_20.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 3375i9g_20.jpg
    3375i9g_20.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN1228.jpg
    DSCN1228.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN1229.jpg
    DSCN1229.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN1231.jpg
    DSCN1231.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1232.jpg
    DSCN1232.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1326.jpg
    DSCN1326.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN1368.jpg
    DSCN1368.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN1370.jpg
    DSCN1370.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way to go Kevin F. How is he dooing Alan. Does he still some work for BRP at photo shoots for new product?

Top Bottom