08-10 Skidoo XP or 2011 Polaris RMK Pro?

meigsrock

Reaction score
Well I got through my first season with a couple rev's, 04 600cc summit 144, and 05 800cc renegade 137 and just love the sport so I am thinking of upgrading for next year. I love the summit and just can't seem to throw the renegade around easy enough. Too wide in the front and I only weigh 150 LBS. Only trails I ride are to get to the deep stuff.

It will probably take me all summer to save up and I will have to sell one of the rev's but I am looking at possibly an 2008-10 xp summit or a 2011-12 RMK pro 155"...something up to $8K to spend tops so I am guessing the 2011+ xp and 2013 pro will be out of my price range. Might do an 06-09 M7 or M8 if the price is right or I can't save enough.

So I was looking for some input for what might be best for me and easiest to handle being a light weight. Hopefully something I can keep and ride a few years without having to sink too much $ into it and before having to the terable urge to upgrade again.

Also any advice on inprovements to each model made over the years, as well as weak links or problems to wach for with the xp and pro models.

All advice is appreciated

PS: I have not had a chance to ride too many sleds but rode my neighbors 06 M7 153 and like the way it carved, I did not like the m6 141. I also rode a friends 2012 xp summit and loved it but may not be able to afford one that new.

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife has the same summit hands down most fun sled I've ever road like you said toss it around like nothing and has really good power till you get the warm deep days it gets a little sluggish but I'm pushing 200 so by of a difference there lol.
See lots of 10s in the 75 range. In both brands. Not sure why as guys ask the same for an 07 all have good and bad points cat driveline, poo and doo engines whatever you buy make sure engine has been done bottom to top. And receipts to prove. Most of all start looking now and get some seat time on all three. Lots of upgrades for all of them so the possibilities are endless in that department

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never was a fan of buying something the first year they make significant changes, so for that reason I would lean towards a 09/10 xp or a 08/09 cat. Try and find the least amount of km for these sleds, much over 3500km your looking at a top end (~$500).

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your a lighter guy i would say try for the PRO RMK. the weight will make it much easier to maneuver. plus with you being so light the lack of power wont be as noticeable as to someone who is on the heavier side. I personally dont like the XP chassis that much, especially the steering. just my 2 cents.

meigsrock

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of variation when looking at used sleds with wear and tear / miles factors in. The nice thing about buying a 08/09 xp is that the likleyhood of someone going through the engine already is a bit higher and I may be able to get one with nice aftermarket shocks etc. where someone has put some money into it but they want to upgrade so they are selling.

I am a little more wary of the Pro RMKs because of engine piston rings and drive shaft problems I have heard a little about. And I think most 11/12 years are at the 2-2.5K miles mark where people are geting rid of them before any problems occur. So that would make me the guy to burned or have to do a top end just in case. Although I think I would love to try the RMK PRO.

I have heard about weak drive shafts and a bearing clamp upgrade on the PRO sleds but I am unclear if this is a problem for the 11/12 models with chain drive or just a problem with the 13/14 models with the belt drive system. Anyone know if that problem exists on the 11/12's?

What are the big changes between the summit xp 08/9/10? and the 11/12 that are supose to make the 11/12's handle and ride better? Wondering what aftermarket add on's to wach for or that I may want to add.

How much better do you think a faily stock 08/9 summit xp 146-153 would be over my faily stock 04 rev summit 144" ?

meigsrock

Reaction score
Ya that is not what I am after so maybe I will get a pro and piss both groups I ride with off haha. One group cat fans the other all ride rev or xp.

Just trying to get some input on weak points, good points and best sled for the money. How much of a difference they will be over my old rev as I have not rode the PRO or the early xp's.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you like the 04 rev chances are you wont like the xp.............Im not a Doo guy at all but spent a day on a rev and then spent a day on a xp and take the rev hands down for, how they say it?............flickability! LOL!
My cat guy on a polaris 2 cents!
I like the Pro!

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like the 04 rev chances are you wont like the xp.............Im not a Doo guy at all but spent a day on a rev and then spent a day on a xp and take the rev hands down for, how they say it?............flickability! LOL!
I like the Pro!
where is the dislike post button??

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11 Pro RMK and the 09-10XP sleds not even close to being in the same league.You have to step up to a new 13 XM doo if you want good boondocking handling in an Doo.I ride with a guy that has an 09 Doo and he is a pretty big guy and can throw it around but at the end of the day he is totally worn out.I have ridden it more than once and can't get used to how it fight you to lay down flat every time you try to get it on its side.I have a 12 pro and love the handling.If worried about the pro just shop for a low miled 12[no driveline issues] with an extended warranty.Older M8's are great reliable sleds that carve and sidehill very well.My group has a few of them and I have also ridden those sleds.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Pro!

I happen to agree! Loved the Rev chassis and bought an 09 XP cant get it to handle as easy as the Rev, Seems to want to stay flat no matter what body english or style you ride it. The newer XPs are way better but the 08/09s just seem to stay flat and want to go straight. The Pro is a good choice because you at least get Fuel injection that you wont on the older XPs and they are easier to throw around than the early XP's. Just my 2 cents....errr wait 5 cents as we cant use pennies anymore LOL!

meigsrock

Reaction score
What makes the slightly newer 10?/11/12 summit xp's handle better than the 08/09's ? skis, narower a-arm stance? rear suspension mounts in different locations? other changes?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 still has the 38-40 stance like the 08-09. But rear skid shock changes , ect.
Also has different crank nose ( 08-09 has problems with cranks breaking off )

11-12 has the 36-38 stance. And e tech if its that option.

I bought a 10 and not a 08-09 for them reasons.

from my HTC

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I will throw in my 5 cents also. Go with the Pro. Will be way easier for someone your size to throw around and the vertical steering is way better. The Pro will be just as powerful as a P-Tec with the bonus of EFI.

A 2010 or older XP will need the S-36 conversion to make it handle better but it still won't be like the Pro.

meigsrock

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the XP years and changes. Looks like I need to try for a 2010 or newer xp if I can afford it and if I decide on the XP. I will definatly need an s-36 kit if I go with an xp.

I took out both my 2005 renegade and summit this weekend and rode both around. Man what a difference in carving with the narrower summit front and that is 38-39" I think. I can see how the narrower front end makes a big difference in leaning it over.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look in classifieds I have a 08 XP which has all the upgrades and you might want that one send me a PM if interested

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to consider the Summit Sport. For 2014 it comes with the 36 inch front end, t-motion and flex edge track. It has a carbed motor not the E-tech. Should be able to get a 800r 154 for under $10 grand out the door and if you snow check I think you can get a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty since it's a Summit. It's a little more than you wanted to spend but you get a brand new sled with all the features you want with warranty.

Top Bottom