looking for a good mountable sled saw

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the stihl and the PA saw, i am suprized how good its working, if used correctly it works great much more durable that i thought.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Stihl PS 60. Awesome saw. I had the Gombi folding saw from Lee Valley, but not sturdy enough and already broke a blade. You can get replacement blades from Lee Valley for their saws. Here is a pic of the Stihl saw:

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/Images/Product/577/ps60.png?preset=Product.ProductDetails

We have used many brands over the past 15 years maintaining the 102km of trails but last year we bought 12 of these Stihl handsaws they seem to work the best for us.

Just make sure your saw has a scabre case.
Other wise those saw teeth cut everything.

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Disagree with you. You just need to try a SHARP axe. Might weigh a bit more but is much more practical.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Each to their own but next time out try and cut a 12" diameter tree with an axe. I cut one today with my saw that was head high on the tail in 10 minutes, 3 cuts and gone.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Each to their own but next time out try and cut a 12" diameter tree with an axe. I cut one today with my saw that was head high on the tail in 10 minutes, 3 cuts and gone.
Good luck with your saw when your skis are tipped in under ice in a mudhole. If you want to go logging carry a chainsaw.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your saw when your skis are tipped in under ice in a mudhole. If you want to go logging carry a chainsaw.

Don't have to worry about mud and ice where i ride, we have snow.... lots of it, so much it makes 12" trees fall on the trail. 2 options, cut it out or go home....

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Used to pack an axe but gave it up for saw, takes up to much space also and hatchet o short for extended cutting. Way to much energy expended to cut anything other than saplings with an axe.
For the amount of time I need beating sick I will just cut dry stand with my saw.
Can't imagine using training to building a leanto or cutting wood for real survival stay with an axe. Be so sweated out you would freeze after that workout.
Wind up using that sharp edge to put myself out of misery!! LOL
If someone needs exercise just go to the gym!!

Straying off topic. Sturdy folding saw with spare blade!
Cheap folding saw and two spare blades!

Last edited:

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well looks to be pretty divided but will probably be going with the Stihl non folding saw. looks like it has great way to mount it and stihl is a brand i trust. dont care about price just want something that will stand the test of time. Thanks all for the replys and ideas.

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a "Trail Blazer" saw. 19""x 1 1/2"" aluminum tube,weighs about 3 lbs. Assembles into a buck saw with a 17" blade and cuts like crazy.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a "Trail Blazer" saw. 19""x 1 1/2"" aluminum tube,weighs about 3 lbs. Assembles into a buck saw with a 17" blade and cuts like crazy.[/QU
Where did you buy this saw? Seen from your title page your in Ontario while I am in Alberta I was hoping it was from a chain store of some sort.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://backcountryaccess.com/product/35-cm-snow-wood-saw/
You will not regret getting this tool.

uker7

Reaction score
, non folding gives you a solid feel. I pinched the blade once and it just bent out and return back to perfectly straight. did the same thing with an older folding sos saw and it instantly shattered. plus apparently it has lifetime warranty, and there Canadian.

F8 EXT

Reaction score
I have a Coghlan's folding 21" bow saw that works pretty well. Runs about $20. Depending on your sled, may or may not fit.

Good luck deciding!

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Googled the Trail Blazer saw apparently they went out of business. Nuts, I wanted to buy 3 more. Unless Home Hardware has on around somewhere. Lee Valley sold out too.

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so im going with the ps60 from stihl. im tryng to find where to get it locally and cant seem to find anywhere. where have you been picking them up from?

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a small hatchet ( 8'' long) in backpack on tunnel. I think it was too sharp. I went down rough trail at end of day and had a holyXXX moment at the bottom. The axe had flipped it's self and began to chop through its scabbard, through the backpack and started on the tunnel. I store it elsewhere now. I have saw and axe on my sled.

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
Hey guys so im going with the ps60 from stihl. im tryng to find where to get it locally and cant seem to find anywhere. where have you been picking them up from?
The Rental House in Leduc had a bunch on the shelf when I was there today.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have that saw on the sxs. Picked it up in Leduc

Top Bottom