expert shock packages

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull your rear shock out if you want a good laugh… my wife can push it to the ground with one arm set to HARD!

That’s supposed to hold my ass and my sled up? But she don’t wheelie like it used to…

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s supposed to hold my ass and my sled up? But she don’t wheelie like it used to…

Thats what the spring is supposed to do. The shock is to dampen the movement so you're not riding a poggo stick.

Stock they could be too soft for you though for sure.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what the spring is supposed to do. The shock is to dampen the movement so you're not riding a poggo stick.

Stock they could be to soft for you though forsure.

Dan, you think 175# plus gear needs the Fatboy springs? I hate having them cranked to 5 so the shock isn’t bottoming out.

Had them at 3 with the serviced rear shock and didn’t feel bottom but I’m not dropping ch!t…

I was going to put spacers under the coils to get a little more running board clearance.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dan, you think 175# plus gear needs the Fatboy springs? I hate having them cranked to 5 so the shock isn’t bottoming out.

Had them at 3 with the serviced rear shock and didn’t feel bottom but I’m not dropping ch!t…

I was going to put spacers under the coils to get a little more running board clearance.

The spring won't really effect your bottom out resistance unless you have a progressive rate spring. Thats all in your shock.

That said Id get the spring spacers, they will probably give you the desired ride height on a lower preload setting.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I should have said was that's not how you want to to tune your bottom out resistance.

If you put some f350 springs in the back its not going to bottom out, but its going to ride like a lumber wagon. lol

That's the idea behind progressive rate springs though, they get harder as they compress.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rear shock will hold the rear suspension up to a point but it will not return the suspension to full travel. The spring does that, the shock valving controls how fast or slow the compression and rebound happens.

My torsion springs are stiffer, and the valving is harder, I am 185lbs without gear, add a jerry can and a tunnel bag to a soft stock suspension and it will fade fast on the trail and bottom out.
This makes My sled also sit higher than a stock G5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McTwist

Reaction score
I went the Enzo route with my G5 Summit X but upgraded the skid to KYB 40s. My old G4 had Elka stage 4 in the skid and stock ski shocks.

I found the G5 to be the easiest sled to dial in with stock suspension to something that worked for the way I rode, but I couldn't get the rear set soft enough for the weight transfer I wanted while not bottoming out excessively. The front shocks have always been way too light.

For as long as I ride Doo, I'll be going with Enzo. Everything works so well. The front shocks are perfect, and the KYB 40s in the skid eat anything I can throw at them. I have been able to get perfect ski pressure and the steering is light, and the skid is set up that I can wheelie on demand but get the front end to stay down when I need control.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the Enzo valving and spring upgrade to mine. I've never had a sled feel this good in the bumps. l didn't ride it first stock though and have no seat time on another G5 so not sure how much it improved.

Top Bottom