looking at a new tv

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also looking to buy a tv. I see Canadian Tire is offering RCA 4k HD 55inch for 499.00. Any thoughts on this one?

Ive never heard of anyone having good luck with RCA. I had one years ago and it was a POS. None of the new technologies last forever like the old CRT tv's and lots of reviews will state the expected lifespans.
For me that's why Costco is the place to buy. Usually a 2 year warranty with the option to buy an additional 3 years for a very reasonable price. 2 friends of mine (brothers) bought the same LCD tv's ( high end sharp) and had them for over 4 years when they started to develop the same problem. The repair guy came out and confirmed that the power supply was on the way out. He gave them a form that they took back to Costco with the TV. By then of course the tv's were obsolete, so they both got a full credit of their purchase price that they put towards new tv's.
Not bad to get use of a tv for 5years for only the $80 warranty.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy another off brand one.... Too many issues with remotes, HDCP issues with HD video and no support. Most the brand name smart TVs will download updates or you can install them with a flash drive. I don't know what my next one will be as I'm not buying until we move to a house from the mobile. Then I can buy the TV or possibly projector to fit my home theater room

I've had good luck with my last one, 5 years old and still works good. Only downside I had was few HDMI outlets, but new one has plenty. I can't justify spending double to get another brand, i'd rather buy two of the cheaper one. Don't do anything fancy with it and comparing picture, you can't tell any difference.

Ive never heard of anyone having good luck with RCA. I had one years ago and it was a POS. None of the new technologies last forever like the old CRT tv's and lots of reviews will state the expected lifespans.
For me that's why Costco is the place to buy. Usually a 2 year warranty with the option to buy an additional 3 years for a very reasonable price. 2 friends of mine (brothers) bought the same LCD tv's ( high end sharp) and had them for over 4 years when they started to develop the same problem. The repair guy came out and confirmed that the power supply was on the way out. He gave them a form that they took back to Costco with the TV. By then of course the tv's were obsolete, so they both got a full credit of their purchase price that they put towards new tv's.
Not bad to get use of a tv for 5years for only the $80 warranty.

That's exactly why I bought at Costco, and because their regular price is still better then any other places sales. $750 tv 3 years extra warranty is only $70, the only place with a reasonable price for extended warranty.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a pricey sharp a few years back from
Best Buy , junk ! Never again ...LG now and very happy , user friendly on the smart side , which I like .
Costco is good , so is wall mart , a bit behind in technology ( 6 months) but blow them out cheap ....
The new tvs are like , computers... Time you buy them and set them up.. They are outdated !
I find the best deal is a goof quality / reviewed TV that , has just been replaced by a newer flashier model ...
They give them away ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just pulled the pin on a Best Buy Boxing Day sale for a LG 60" LED UHD 4K smart TV...... 50% off ordered a stand as well for wayyyyyyyyy less than I was anticipating paying in the New Year

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well settled on a sony 4k 65 inch ended up with getting it for staff price which was still cheaper than what they have it on sale for now ....
thanks for the input

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Pioneer Elite Plasma is failing. Been to a couple places tv shopping, when asked what I'm replacing every salesperson has replied as if a close family member has just died expressing regret for my failing plasma. Also have said they have nothing that offers the picture quality and while they could sell me any tv they carry, they are sure I'd hate the picture once I got it home. The closest in picture quality I'm told is OLED technology by LG but also told that it's only 50-60% of what I'm replacing for quality. It has been suggested that I wait until the new year, almost spring time for better technology to come out. What's a guy to do? Funny part is my wife never quite believed me that the responses I was receiving were true until she overheard a recommended tv repair guy on the phone speak with such praise about the Pioneer TV's.

I have a feeling I'm going to run into the same thing too. Last TV I bought was a 60" Panasonic plasma in early 2013. Over and over again I keep hearing that none of the newer technologies can compare picture wise. The reasons everyone dropped the plasma were cost to build, cost to ship (heavy), use more power and create a lot of heat.

I have a 60" Sony SXRD LCOS rear projection in the basement that I bought in '07. The picture on it leave a lot of the newer stuff in the dust, too. It's getting taken out of the basement as the kid needs play space and the wife wants something wall mounted and out of the way. The poor old SXRD is getting banished to the garage now. Good thing there is I have a cheap 50" Element LCD my old man got a couple years ago on black friday in Arizona. It'll make do down there until I want to buy something better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom