Long Lake area

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well it's not good, no change for weeks now so we have to beat the drums even harder. We have received about an inch in the last couple of days, I 'm sure not beating up my fuel budget this year.

See you on the trails
Don

Weekend update. Two inches of feathers, now with this much snow every rock and hole that will do damage is now covered, let's be carefull out there.
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well we got our "Big Dump" for 2010 on the weekend
Grand total 2 inches
Sorry guys we have to beat way harder on that drum.

If you can make it over the beaten trails the best snow is south of the lake.

Caution flag The trail at the north end of the LL cabin area that travels to the Athabasca gravel pit has has been closed, you could make it almost to the far end but there is a company in there tree harvesting at the north end of the trail approx 1/2 km south of the county pit. JLG Ball enterprise will be in there this spring opening up a gravel pit. I go out there this weekend to see where a new trail can be cut out.

See you on the trails
Don to see

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well we have picked up about 4 inches over the last week, I took the apex out for a couple of rides this week end and you know it wasn't that bad. You will have to watch the area you are in for nuggets but I would say gear up for the long weekend and come out to the lake.

See you on the trail
Don:canadaflag::canadaflag:
Go Canada

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went through there on Saturday night. Through Whitemud valley, across Long Lake, over to Hanmore then back to Whitemud area.....70+ miles and the snow was pretty good! You still need to watch but it's not bad.:):)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went through there on Saturday night. Through Whitemud valley, across Long Lake, over to Hanmore then back to Whitemud area.....70+ miles and the snow was pretty good! You still need to watch but it's not bad.:):)

Won't make it out for a ride this long weekend, taking three sleds, crazy carpets, big toboggan and heading to McBride for their Family Day hot dog and toboggan runs on Lucille Sunday. Bell Mountain Saturday. Tasha excited as I'm taking her sled along also. Hoping it's sunny so the girls can see the valley off the top. Cell phones work up top.....might be hard to keep Tasha riding.....things glued to her fingers!:d:d:d

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
The trails are workable but thin, watch for nuggets

The trail that starts at blk 15 and goes through to the county pit is now closed due to the new gravel pit at the north end. I have walked the area to the west side and it will take some work but a new trail can be blazed. I have a call in to SRD in Lac La Biche to get permission for this venture. It is going to be approx. one km around the pit and we should stay about 30 meters off the pit edge to avoid problems. If I can't get it done via a Cat, a work bee will be organized this spring and it would take a weekend to do a good job.

There is some logging taking place up at the "Steel Bridge" area so the snow is gone, be cautious if you are in the area, I see they have cut some new trails, we will check that out in the spring.

See you on the trails
Don

depthcharger

Reaction score
Well folks
This year's snow conditions reminds me of the 90's when we had a a skinny foot of snow. We then loaded up and went to the Wandering river May tower area, this year it's even thin there. So I guess we stop whining, come out to the lake and enjoy the warm weather and go for a ride on the sled or the quads.

Have a great safe weekend
Don

keep the quads at home for now....they make a hell of a mess of the trails in these conditions.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep the quads at home for now....they make a hell of a mess of the trails in these conditions.

Well I guess we would be sitting at home all winter this year. Rather take the quad out and hit the rocks with it then beat the Heck out of the sled. I could understand if we had the snow pack and the conditions were favorable, BUT lets be honest this winter has not been the best for local riding.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I know the quads can be hard on some of the trails, but I sure like to see everyone that can get out to the lake come and have a good time with their family and friends. The quads don't go very far into our sledding areas.

This weekend is suppose to be great so, come out to the lake and have a good time, remember the ski hill is open as well.

See you on the trails
Don :canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:
GO CANADA

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don, is it legal to come down the power line and stop at the ski hill for a bite to eat when you are out riding or are sleds not wanted next to the skiers?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don, is it legal to come down the power line and stop at the ski hill for a bite to eat when you are out riding or are sleds not wanted next to the skiers?

Well, he did say the ski hill was open so it should be OK.........just watch out for the beginner skiiers....they can't move out of the way very fast.......:d

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, he did say the ski hill was open so it should be OK.........just watch out for the beginner skiiers....they can't move out of the way very fast.......:d

What you doin Sunday, taking the short tracks back to the farm. Posted some pics from family day in the McBride section under "Family Day". I think I climbed Bell about 300 times taking kids back to the top.:d

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you doin Sunday, taking the short tracks back to the farm. Posted some pics from family day in the McBride section under "Family Day". I think I climbed Bell about 300 times taking kids back to the top.:d

Not able to go on Sunday but my daughter, her friend and I are heading out Saturday morning ......going early so we can get back home by mid afternoon cause I have to be at a meeting by 4:00.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not able to go on Sunday but my daughter, her friend and I are heading out Saturday morning ......going early so we can get back home by mid afternoon cause I have to be at a meeting by 4:00.

Tasha has a b-day to go to and I'm taking the other two skating, Bob's coming out with his kids till noon on Sunday. Next time, years not over yet.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I was out to day the trails directly across from my place at blk 14 are finished until we get some snow, there must be a rig coming in soon, there has been a cat clean the snow off the trails. I would stay south and east if your coming out to ride.
Don

madmann1

Reaction score
Roadtech how is the lake looking for crossing with quads? thinking of heading across the lake and turning left, all new terrain to us. Going up on March 5-7th, crashing in blk 7, your more than welcome to stop bye for a soda and chat about the trail changes. JIM:beer:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi
Well you will not have a problem, it will hold a superduty it should hold a quad.
Two things to watch out for, logging at the north end of the creek, and maybe some sysmic activity across the lake at the old gravel pit.
Stay off the trail that is across from blk 4 it's iced up, you will have a hard time climbing it. Have a safe ride
Don
:canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag: They did so well, Go Canada Go

Top Bottom