knock sensor

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey i was just wondering what some of you boost guys think of the knock sensor, im thinkin about puttin one on my apex cause ill be crankin up the boost a bit more this year and i like what they claim to do but have heard that they will sometimes shut your sled down without reason.......can anyone give me some input ?

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone else run a knock sensor that can tell me about them ?

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cmon theres gotta be someone that has some input.....

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run one and have sold and installed a few, we have them in stock. Saved me a motor on my personal sled, paid for itself right there.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Parker's. Knock sensor mounts to starter mount on Apex or oil cooler on Nytro, comes with wiring harness, sensor, knock box and instructions. Adjustable sensitivity and can also be used to control another output if you want to trigger some other deto control device. I just use the built in sensitivity indicator lights, if it senses detonation it is pretty obvious.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of one gentleman who had a parker knock box, he no longer uses it.

There is enough people running boost now that have fuel mixtures and boost to fuel ratios figured out that there really isn't any need to run one... imo. for $350.00 i would buy a case of pops and check my plugs and piston wash with my bore scope.....

As far as a knock box saving your engine, well... call me old fashion but i still go by plug burn and piston wash..... along with egt's and A/F gauges.

I am usually to busy to look down when i am riding to take notice of the little flashing led's.

I know and ride with a pile of boosted peeps.....some of these dudes run high boost.....up to 30lbs boost and others have over 4500km on there rides, most on 17lbs plus and.....well none of them run a knock box...

IMO........Not worth it. Plugs and piston wash......there is no such thing as a gas and go sled...especially on boost

Last edited:

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The knock sensors are for four strokes, they are a valuable tool and they work. If the motor deto's it'll be too late to use a borescope. Do whatever you are comfortable with.;)

Last edited:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The knock sensors are for four strokes, they are a valuable tool and they work. If the motor deto's it'll be too late to use a borescope. Do whatever you are comfortable with.;)

so why is you engine detonating? whats causing it and why?

just so were clear....i never said they don't work. These boxes fall in the same place as low comp. pistons and rods, the people telling you that you need it..well.......why do you need them..... because they sell them.:rolleyes:

Like most tunners/builders they do things in stages so yah, if you run it till it goes bang....your right a borescope is as usefull as tits on a boar.:rolleyes:
once again.......J.M.O.

Last edited:

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somebody asked about a knock sensor and I just provided some info. I personally think it is a useful tool, just like a temp light, or low oil pressure light. It is there to alert you to a problem. The only time I have had a deto light was when a water/meth nozzle failed on a combination that was pushing limits and had water/meth for detonation control. It was nice to know there was a problem so it could be investigated and rectified. I don't use A/F gauges on most MCX turbos as the system is already mapped and has altitude compensation but if there became a problem with a fuel pump or filter or line etc. and it caused a lean condition, or if someone inadvertently put in fuel with insufficent octane, the motor would detonate and damage itself. A detonation sensor would pick that up instantly and it is hard to miss the lit up knock box if it is mounted in a prominent location. For those that asked, the boxes are $375

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question why the box saved your engine.
So this sled had a box on it and no A/F gauge? i can see the box being important if thats all you had for instrumentation.

Didn't mean to Highjack you Thread Landon.
P.S. Run a A/F gauge, because you are building your own maps.

Last edited:

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats kool tab, im just fishin for info thats all.....got some opinions here and thats good. and i do have an air fuel gauge......

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question why the box saved your engine.
So this sled had a box on it and no A/F gauge? i can see the box being important if thats all you had for instrumentation.

Didn't mean to Highjack you Thread Landon.
P.S. Run a A/F gauge, because you are building your own maps.

You absolutely need an A/F gauge if you build your own maps. This sled had an A/F gauge with datalogging as well. Deto sensor lit up real fast as soon as problem occurred with water/meth nozzles, backed out of it and saved the motor. I still think that they are a good idea. Most MCX setups don't bother with an A/F gauge but I will put one on if a customer feels he should have one. All vehicle manufacturers these days have knock sensors on them to prevent damage from bad fuel (retard timing) I know which one will save a disaster quickest. You can get away with running a motor lean or rich but detonation will destroy it. I was merely providing the feedback on the sensor that was asked for. I don't care who runs what.

Top Bottom