Just bought 450

Adam31

Reaction score
Hey, just got a 2007 yz450. Bike looks in really good shape but many years since I had a 4s dirtbike. What would you do after getting a used bike? Thanks

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, just got a 2007 yz450. Bike looks in really good shape but many years since I had a 4s dirtbike. What would you do after getting a used bike? Thanks

If you don't know the history of the bike, you should check and perform some general maintenance.
i usually check wheel bearings, spokes, sprockets and chain. Anything else that can leave you stranded.
i would change out engine oil, and you should check valve clearance. You got 5 titanium valves in that engine. ($$)
07 was a great year for the 450, as they really lightened up the front end.
it should have the good Excel rims on it as well .
if it starts first couple kicks, and runs well, I wouldn't mess with the carb.
Also change out the fork oil, and make sure you add the same proper amount in both. Makes a huge difference.
i believe the YZ has the Kayaba forks.
Adjust rear sag for your weight, if you are a different size than previous owner.
Then I would ride and enjoy it ! That motor is awesome, and they handled well , better than the CRF's. (My opinion)

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't know the history of the bike, you should check and perform some general maintenance.
i usually check wheel bearings, spokes, sprockets and chain. Anything else that can leave you stranded.
i would change out engine oil, and you should check valve clearance. You got 5 titanium valves in that engine. ($$)
07 was a great year for the 450, as they really lightened up the front end.
it should have the good Excel rims on it as well .
if it starts first couple kicks, and runs well, I wouldn't mess with the carb.
Also change out the fork oil, and make sure you add the same proper amount in both. Makes a huge difference.
i believe the YZ has the Kayaba forks.
Adjust rear sag for your weight, if you are a different size than previous owner.
Then I would ride and enjoy it ! That motor is awesome, and they handled well , better than the CRF's. (My opinion)

Nailed it.

Adam31

Reaction score
You think I should take it to shop to check valves? How difficult is it to do

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's easy enough to do. Time your bike to TDC and slide a feeler gauge between the cam lobe and bucket. Intake is .004"-.006" and exhaust is .008"-.010". The centre intake valve needs a trimmed gauge or buy a narrow feeler gauge to fit between the casting.

If it's tight, it may become over your skill level, as you need to remove the cam shafts and take out the bucket. Use a magnet so the shim doesn't fall into the bottom end.
Some dealers will exchange shims, some will sell them to you.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

YouTube I bet there will be a video of step by step tutorial of how to. there was for my Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam31

Reaction score
Yea there is videos on YouTube, now I have a project to do next days off! Thanks

Top Bottom