Cleaning brown discolouring off the hull

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what’s everyone been using to clean your hull. After the first time out this year this thing got was more stained than I would have thought and it’s impossible to get off. Any products you guys have been using?

Attachments

• 37259074-1A41-40B3-8C91-8D933BC7A843.jpeg
    37259074-1A41-40B3-8C91-8D933BC7A843.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 88

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine looked the same at the back, and soaking it with clr took it off. This year I used meguires oxidation remover an it easily pealed it off

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723_113247_Canadian Tire.jpg
    Screenshot_20230723_113247_Canadian Tire.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 69

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peroxide and blue Lysol toilet cleaner. 50/50. Spray with a garden sprayer and it’s like you’re painting the boat. Make sure you get the regular blue Lysol not scrubbing bubbles just the regular stuff or it doesn’t work. Before I had a lift, I left my boat in lake isle all summer. My green slime line was insane. Could not get it off with anything. Put this stuff in a squirt bottle and it’s like literally painting your boat. Instant white everywhere you spray it. I’m assuming it hurts the wax I always spray wax on after.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peroxide and blue Lysol toilet cleaner. 50/50. Spray with a garden sprayer and it’s like you’re painting the boat. Make sure you get the regular blue Lysol not scrubbing bubbles just the regular stuff or it doesn’t work. Before I had a lift, I left my boat in lake isle all summer. My green slime line was insane. Could not get it off with anything. Put this stuff in a squirt bottle and it’s like literally painting your boat. Instant white everywhere you spray it. I’m assuming it hurts the wax I always spray wax on after.
sprayers will differ but if you have the bronze wand flush with fresh water after or you will be buying a new sprayer new year

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried this stuff and it did nothing. Maybe faded the staining a bit but it didn’t work well at all
I don't dilute it. Just wipe it on, sip a beer and wait 5 min and wash it off. It works great and everyone at our marina uses it. Can't say why it's not working doe you.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel like different water bodies create different issues….
What works in northern Saskatchewan, is completely different than central BC…

A person might need to find out what the contamination is, and what the right product is.

I do feel that some products have potential to damage boat finishing….

The staining on a raw aluminum pontoon will be handled completely different than certain scum on a white gelcoat …

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I don't dilute it. Just wipe it on, sip a beer and wait 5 min and wash it off. It works great and everyone at our marina uses it. Can't say why it's not working doe you.
we sprayed it on and let it sit for a minute gave a little scrub and rinsed. I may try it again when the boat is just pulled out. the lake water itself seems to loosen it up a bit. fresh out and then spray it may work better. also going to try the lysol/peroxide as well

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I feel like different water bodies create different issues….
What works in northern Saskatchewan, is completely different than central BC…

A person might need to find out what the contamination is, and what the right product is.

I do feel that some products have potential to damage boat finishing….

The staining on a raw aluminum pontoon will be handled completely different than certain scum on a white gelcoat …
this is typical Alberta slew lake algae.

Top Bottom