January snow conditions

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bad you didn't come to Bell with us Caper. Snow was awsome and the little side detour over the side of Bell turned up a nice new spot throught the trees and cutblocks.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bad you didn't come to Bell with us Caper. Snow was awsome and the little side detour over the side of Bell turned up a nice new spot throught the trees and cutblocks.
Would of loved to have rode with yah's, after doing that cliff jump in weinburgers the day before my back was killing me that morning, it's still sore LOL. With the rain falling that morning and a potentially rough trail, I decided to call it quits and head for home. I know I missed a good day, but thanks for the opportunity of letting me ride with yah.
In case you were wondering the group I was with decided NOT to ride where they wanted to.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should help with the trail up! (cooler temps)

Be kind to the trail and the grooming will last longer.

Cheers, and happy New Year!

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renshaw and Lucielle trails groomed last night! And wouldn't you know it temps had dropped to -19 at Renshaw cabin and -9 at the parking lot!! Go figure!!! Higgins.

Those temps will definitely help the trail. Heading up Tuesday for a week of riding. Hope Hotrod takes care of us midweek riders?

Newgen

Reaction score
I know I posted this in Decembers as well... Wanted it to be seen!!Had an amazing weekend in the Renshaw. Had Krazy K show us the trail into the ant hills. I've been here probably 6 times and have never experienced that area or that kind of untouched pow!! I brought 3 buddies that were very against the drive from Regina until they experienced the area and the hospitality around town? We drove strait home today after one of the hcr's lost it's helix and the weather was ridiculous this morning! But on the way we planned our next trip up for next month!

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: December snow conditions!!!
I'd like to thank the club and hotrod for all the hard work they do to maintain the areas that we ride, for those that don't know Rod he puts in endless hours trying to maintain the trails in good conditions and bad conditions and when he hears the negative comments he takes it to heart as he trys to have good trails all the time. There is nothing that can be done when the weather is warm and the trail doesn't set up. Have the complainers ever thought to keep a steady throttle going up the trails instead of being on/off all the time, no didn't think so. Also to the complainers how many of you actually belong to a club, Mcbride charges 25 bucks to become a member and there numbers are still low the more numbers a club has the louder voice they have when it comes to land tenure meetings. Just my 2 cents, again thank you Rod, Barry and everyone else who makes Mcbride one of the best areas to ride.​

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from one day ride at McBride/Renshaw, trail not groomed last night but was in great shape even at the end of the day. About 50 sleds yesterday and the cooler temps = a tral that was not whooped out.
Had to put tire cains (no plough at 7AM) on to get to the parking lot then gave the loggers a sled ride to their skidder so they could pull their log truck out at the staging entrance. Trail fees done from truck in pakng lot, huge drifts on road, had to unload sleds from trailer to get trailer through drifts.
Our group of four were the only ones at Spirit Lake all day, not a track to be seen after Ghost Lake. Awsome snow in the bush but very very wind blown above the trees. Had a great day with no mech issues and untracked snow all day.
Hope everyone enjoyed their Xmas break rides.
Will post pics and video later if I can figure it out.

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Lucille jan. 2. Main area very pounded out with no new snow to be tracked up. Dropped into the butterfly and was 2-3' of fresh untouched snow with some wicked soft drifts. Best day I've had all year. Be careful to stay away from the south side of the butterfly as it looks like it could slide at anytime by the looks of the wind sweep and the size of the cornices. Just a heads up.

Live To Ride Ride To Live

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a great last few days in mcbride. Trail were decent considering the temps. I don't know if you guys have ever went to a grooming work shop but I can tell you right now what one of the biggest problems you have with your trails pounding out so fast is due to not cutting the memory of the whoops out. You need to be cutting more. On Sunday we rode bell and on the way down we met the groomer. After we got on the fresh groomed trail you could tell were every bump was. I know the more you cut the more fuel you burn. Also if you guys want your trail to last longer on the way to renshaw try widen it. You have a good 10 feet that you guys are not using. I know there is deep ditch there. But it is full of snow now and there is no reason for not using this extra space now. If you guys were to do this you would find your trail would last way longer. There is no reason why with the size of snow cat and groomer you guys have that you are double passing the trail. To me that is a waste of money. Here in sask if we double pass a trail we will not be paid for the second pass unless the trail is over 10 feet wide.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a great last few days in mcbride. Trail were decent considering the temps. I don't know if you guys have ever went to a grooming work shop but I can tell you right now what one of the biggest problems you have with your trails pounding out so fast is due to not cutting the memory of the whoops out. You need to be cutting more. On Sunday we rode bell and on the way down we met the groomer. After we got on the fresh groomed trail you could tell were every bump was. I know the more you cut the more fuel you burn. Also if you guys want your trail to last longer on the way to renshaw try widen it. You have a good 10 feet that you guys are not using. I know there is deep ditch there. But it is full of snow now and there is no reason for not using this extra space now. If you guys were to do this you would find your trail would last way longer. There is no reason why with the size of snow cat and groomer you guys have that you are double passing the trail. To me that is a waste of money. Here in sask if we double pass a trail we will not be paid for the second pass unless the trail is over 10 feet wide.

x2 ... heard this from more than one groomer operator .... both with 1000`s of groomer kms under their belt.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 ... heard this from more than one groomer operator .... both with 1000`s of groomer kms under their belt.
I thought this as well after getting on the trail after meeting the groomer, you could feel every bump on the trail and after 2-3km the trail was whooped out again. I have never experianced this before in mcbride after meeting the groomer or any groomer for that matter. I did express my consern to a local I know there, thinking that ther might be a problem with the groomer, and he is right. Look at this years weather patterns it's hard to get the trail perfect in the freeze-thaw that we are experiencing, so please be patient, could you imagine what the trails would be like without one.Keeping a steady throttle would help as well, with the lugs that our sleds have it does not take much of a power increase to make a bump on the trail.I do have experience running a groomer in case some were wondering, I used to volunteer my time with my local club back east.
There has been alot a rain in the valley and wet snow at higher elevations, but no really good accumulation on the trail, if the memory keeps being cut out of the trail the banks on the side will be huge.

Last edited:

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to knock there grooming. I was just trying to give some options or ideas for them to try. I for one can not stand listening to people complain about the trail. I've been ridding mcbride for years and remember the days when there was no grooming. Can you say 4 foot whoops for 30 km. Not fun. I know if you cut to much you will end up with big banks but if they would widen the trail. It would help a lot. I have also groomed and been around groomers a lot.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 for the widening of the trail suggestion. With only a 10ft wide trail all sleds gOing up and going down ride the middle of the 10ft and it puts a lot of stress on the base. Even two feet on each side would make it wide enough for a "up" lane and a "down" lane. Grooming the same path coming down seems like a waste of grooming money. It looked like they were beginning to do this on Bell when we came down on Sunday and have a feeling that maybe they were waiting for the holiday rush to get by before doing this.

All in all I still say the trails were decent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sumitdude

Reaction score
Opinions are like butt-holes everyone seems to have one. Dude the folks in Mcbride do a fantastic job every year on the trails and cabins. Don't bite the hand that feeds ya. Ride safe, ride with respect, but most of all just shut up and Ride.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
never heard about so many peeps complain about grooming in one season and its only the start of Jan. i dont ever remember weather being so warm before.

hard to groom slush!!!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is not a good start to a new thread. All these words of steep, deep, whooped out trails and no pics to back it up? :D
I don't believe any of you.. :D :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has been raining in the valley all day, no grooming as it was +6 all day and is still +2. no collectors for tomorrow and it is now time to start the cold dance. on a possitive note it dumped up top and it was white and heavy.

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Barry thanks for setting us up with Steve when we had our truck stuck on bell mountain road. He came right away and got us out.

Top Bottom