Snowmobile vs Snowbike

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like there's two types of sledders. Sledders, and dirtbikers that ride sleds in the winter. The latter for the most part seem to the snowbikers they were dirtbikers first and became sledders out of necessity but now have another option that is closer to biking.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soon as the manufactures see the right sales numbers they will all jump in. I can ride a bike 4 hours longer than I could ever on a sled. We spend most of our days in the trees. No more of the white out stuff you run into higher up and then have to sit at the cabin hoping it clears up. Bike always stays at your side. You fall off it doesn't go far. Sleds will usually end up at the bottom of the hill in dis repair. Comparing Sleds to Bikes, well don't because they are too different beasts. I am sure that there is going to be more power in the next couple of years for those that crave it. The basic 450 is durable and can take a beating but you start doing what the sled manufactures are, well the results speak for themselves. Try a bike with an open mind and it will be fun. May not be your cut of tea but its not for everyone. More room in the trees for me.
X2. Biggest thing is expectations. You can't compare the 2, totally functionally different and very different riding styles. Sleds got the power, but bikes get the win for maneuverability. Good buddy in our group sold his sled and built a bike, I've been on it a number of times. We will get cliffed out or into a tight spot along a drainage or up a skid trail and don't know if it goes anywhere in the thick lumber (like trees you can't see through), anywhere you have to slow down on a sled really, and start thinking about your line or exit strategy. On the bike you don't even think, you just turn and go up the bank, weave through the trees, go across the hill, whatever. If the bike fits through the sticks then you're good to go. They open up a lot of terrain because you don't really need a road to ride on. Yeah, they don't have the same power as sleds and they can't bust through 4 ft of pow, if your expectation is that something with half the power and track are going to keep up with a sled then you WILL be disappointed. For route finding and exploring they are amazing. This is a good example of how fast you can get through the trees on a snowbike.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2. Biggest thing is expectations. You can't compare the 2, totally functionally different and very different riding styles. Sleds got the power, but bikes get the win for maneuverability. Good buddy in our group sold his sled and built a bike, I've been on it a number of times. We will get cliffed out or into a tight spot along a drainage or up a skid trail and don't know if it goes anywhere in the thick lumber (like trees you can't see through), anywhere you have to slow down on a sled really, and start thinking about your line or exit strategy. On the bike you don't even think, you just turn and go up the bank, weave through the trees, go across the hill, whatever. If the bike fits through the sticks then you're good to go. They open up a lot of terrain because you don't really need a road to ride on. Yeah, they don't have the same power as sleds and they can't bust through 4 ft of pow, if your expectation is that something with half the power and track are going to keep up with a sled then you WILL be disappointed. For route finding and exploring they are amazing. This is a good example of how fast you can get through the trees on a snowbike.

You nailed it Modman,I kinda snicker a bit when some sledders bash the bikes for no power and slow.They’re amazing in a lot of terrain and a lot of sledders get schooled very quickly when following bike tracks down into some terrain which I will call bowels of hell so to speak lol!

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They need 100 horsepower to peel your muffin cap back… then they’d be FUN

All aluminum frame and carbon stuff would be cool too

The 3” track seems to work, the skinny track didn’t

I’d go 129” if I did

E start is necessary for most situations

Warm grips… coolant or electric..
Then you NEED BRC.... the BEST 500 Mod you can do. Built in Calgary and they can't keep up with the demand. Transform your YZ250 or KTM|Husq 300 to 500cc Animal c/w estart.... these engines are torque monsters. https://brcracing.ca/yzm-500-my99-21/ now the price makes you go ouch.
or
You get a D&K Yamaha 700 Triple (Mountian Max) Snowbike then you have 135+ hp
dkmotorcyclecenter.com

Top Bottom