Snowmobile vs Snowbike

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what’s the deal with the snowbikes. Seems like most on this forum are sledders. I’ve tried them but never owned one…they seem slow and finicky to me. But if these low snow conditions persist might have to have both.

I’m super surprised the manufacturer hasn’t built a specific snow only bike. Guess the demand isn’t there.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mixed group isn’t as fun but I have rented a bike a few times and had 4-5 bikes out together… what a blast. Different strokes for sure. They’re slow, they don’t wheelie much… but they sidehill good and if you can fit the handlebars through, the bike will go.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Downside is a new turbo Doo is about the same price as a built bike. And they don’t have much for creature comforts. Need a lot of storage stuff… the whole bike needs to be set up and left for winter IMO.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But now that Jamie Hodgeson owns Yeti again, maybe we will see innovation.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it just seems like the bike kits need that next level innovation

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They need 100 horsepower to peel your muffin cap back… then they’d be FUN

All aluminum frame and carbon stuff would be cool too

The 3” track seems to work, the skinny track didn’t

I’d go 129” if I did

E start is necessary for most situations

Warm grips… coolant or electric..

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bunch of us had bikes for 5-6 seasons and still had sleds. Never had a bad day on the bikes always rode fresh snow every day . They have their place in tight trees and creeks etc go anywhere pretty much even on deep days. Never rode the alpine ever really . Pricey to build not hard to drop 20-30k on a build. All of us sold are bikes and just ride sleds again . Maybe when Jamie comes out with a 100 hp purpose built snow bike I’d look at doing it again

Attachments

• IMG_7837.jpeg
    IMG_7837.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7846.jpeg
    IMG_7846.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7838.jpeg
    IMG_7838.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7849.jpeg
    IMG_7849.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 124

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to ride with my friend cheese burger on a bike and i was on a sled.

Was fun because he couldnt ride with me in the trees on a sled, but on a bike he could unless we started going up big hills.

More power would be better forsure

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven’t ridden with bikes in a few years but my initial impression was the technology isn’t quite there yet. They always need to fully defrost every night, when the snow is deep they don’t do as well and don’t climb anywhere like a sled does. Basically what I call prime conditions and ideal riding areas they don’t do well in so I will never have any interest in one unless they progress immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if they had more power, id convert personally. but riding a 440cc equivalent sled is no fun. as noted a turbo version or something with 80-100hp would get it done!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pantera billet motor in a new ktm frame or Honda would be cool

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what’s the deal with the snowbikes. Seems like most on this forum are sledders. I’ve tried them but never owned one…they seem slow and finicky to me. But if these low snow conditions persist might have to have both.

I’m super surprised the manufacturer hasn’t built a specific snow only bike. Guess the demand isn’t there.

They work really well if you take the track and skis off put the wheels on and ride them in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outwest1

Reaction score
They both are a blast. Need big bore on the bikes to make them super fun and they really need to make a better seat for them. Did seat upgrade on mine and still like sitting on a 2x2 but at the end of the day had more smiles going then than most from the highway pavers. Tuck into the trees and away you go. Alway easy to find fresh but can't beat the jam of a sled.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soon as the manufactures see the right sales numbers they will all jump in. I can ride a bike 4 hours longer than I could ever on a sled. We spend most of our days in the trees. No more of the white out stuff you run into higher up and then have to sit at the cabin hoping it clears up. Bike always stays at your side. You fall off it doesn't go far. Sleds will usually end up at the bottom of the hill in dis repair. Comparing Sleds to Bikes, well don't because they are too different beasts. I am sure that there is going to be more power in the next couple of years for those that crave it. The basic 450 is durable and can take a beating but you start doing what the sled manufactures are, well the results speak for themselves. Try a bike with an open mind and it will be fun. May not be your cut of tea but its not for everyone. More room in the trees for me.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode one for one season, if your thing is to explore they are fun, good on bad weather days, slow, easy to get around. I went back to a sled as prefer ripping with 50mph track speed with the modern factory turbos.

Top Bottom