GPS

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
Garmin GPS 78s--hand held--its the marine version so it is waterproof and floats (on snow too). Works for all my hunting and ATV needs. Will work for your snowmobile needs too. Works in my basement just like it does outdoors. Lots of better options out there that have satellite (in reach) communication if you need it. I would stick with the Garmin line up.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Memory maps on my cell phone or tablet, i do take along an older magellan 610 the odd time for storing routes.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Gaia app but take a look at fat maps too. There sat images seem way better.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the old memory maps, with the entire 1:50000 and 1:250000 maps of all of BC and Alberta loaded on my devices. You can tell by a simple glace how far you are away from anywhere you want to be. At one time google earth would give your position on their maps was that ever sweet, you could even tell what tree to go around, but that is no more...i think. However i have not tried it for a year or two.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And most of cell phones have built in gps's so there is no need to be hooked to a cell tower to get your position. You just need an app that will work with your gps in your phone. My old cell phone will lock on inside a boeing 737 and give me the exact position, something my gps is not capable of doing. A few guys use Fatmaps app for satellite imagery. Try a few ...there are lots of them.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gaia works great. That's all I am using for the last 2 seasons.
You have to download areas in advance if you want offline maps though

Really? That’s awesome. I used to use ski tracks when I sledded but had to wait for service to see where I actually went. It would show a red line but it was just on a black screen lol.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be following this thread. Looking for one on the front of my dual sport bike in the summer.
Trail tech. I run it in my boat as well for buddy tracking.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And i am almost scared to post this, if anyone wants the topo maps that you order from the government on your phone, tablet or laptop. And have them work in memory maps, you would have to order them here, if you can still get them, then buy professional feature from memory maps for $125 US. Then transfer all the maps from the dvd's to a memory card. The info above i am sure who ever spends the 200 or so canadian will have problems making it work. But at least you know you can have 1:50000 topo maps with gps locked on anywhere in the province on a phone. Or memory maps has a simple download feature for various maps of the world..they are okay but use up a lot of memory on your phone. Memory maps also has satellite link ups for finding ships positions and transmitting your position to anyone at home..that cost more though.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin Montana 700 with inreach. Backroads map book western Canada sd card. I like a dedicated gps for maping. A phone/tablet is a multitool. Good at all but not master of one.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those with garmin or magellan gps don't forget to buy a subscription to satellite imagery, magellans is mostly in winter format however i doubt you can even buy it anymore. Have fun viewing the imagery on those dinky little screens. However the camera feature gps position might save you ass if you get stopped in cariboo zone wrongfully. If you are planning on using your laptop for a gps you will have to invest in a GlobalSat BU-353S4. Then you open yourself up to a whole new world like Barometric pressures, wind direction vs axis, engine rpm, rudder angles, water temp, water depth, wind gust, ships positions, topo maps split screens with google maps and a crap ton more. Some guys who develope these apps are beyond amazing.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Montana series GPS, had the 600series for 4 years and now replaced it with the 700 series for this coming season. As Grinder said, you cannot beat the real deal for tools.
Let me tell you a story that happened to me last season about GPS and there is also a side lesson.
I was riding an area that I know very well (Hunter Range) but that day we ventured into a zone I had not been in a few years, snow was fresh, untracked and deep.
After about 2hours of just riding we stopped and decided to head back to the main, I took a look at my GPS to get an idea of direction we needed to take. Too my surprise the GPS had unknowingly shut down and there were no tracks to be had. I rebooted it but it would not pickup satellites and screen would go blank.
In the group one guy was using his phone and the batteries went dead, we were fuk.
It ends up about 3hrs to find our way back to the main and low on fuel.
Here is the deal, if your a casual rider staying close to trails a basic setup like a phone may work for you. If you take it further my advise is a dedicated GPS.
BUT, here is the lesson to be had, in my years of sledding I have always carried a compass and topo map of the area I'm riding. But because I got complaisant in the last couple years with certain areas, I got stupid.
If your one to rely on electronics and you do this(back country) stuff enough as I do, you will get bit in the arse one day. Learn how to use old school map and compass, don't just carry it, know it.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt... and if you purchase E topo maps DVD's you can print any map for any area in canada and just toss it after your done. UTM and Lat Long are on all topo maps.

Top Bottom