Belt life

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s everyone getting? Had a belt blow today at only 650km on my 24, my 22 had over 2200km on original belt I did burn over a tank of gas in 5 hours but that’s nothing new. Now my belt guard is destroyed and my clutches are a mess . What’s everyone else experiencing? I’m not loving this new design of the built in guard on the side panel seems flimsy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, what should I be looking for?

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the standard stuff everyone always brings up...
Wash the belts in hot soapy water before using them (I do the belt after every trip as well)
Keep the clutch faces clean (after every trip as well)
I don't think anyone actually breaks in a belt; but I try to run a new belt from the truck to the alpine then swap it out before we start riding to make an effort.
Guessing you were rippin for a good period of time and the belt just got heat soaked. Some guys are just rippers and belts won't last as long. I really don't see how belts have a chance anymore with the power the sleds are making; extra heat created by having turbos under the hoods, and fully encasing the clutches.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isn’t the whole idea behind fully encasing the clutches to keep them isolated from engine heat?

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isn’t the whole idea behind fully encasing the clutches to keep them isolated from engine heat?
It's what they say; but I'm not sold on that. I still think that cold air moving through the engine compartment freely, with a greater volume of air movement is going to transfer more heat away from a hot surface than fins on a clutch in an enclosed space.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to think the new design with a dedicated cold air intake and exhaust plus keeping the hot engine air from reaching the clutches in the first place is superior but some real world evidence would be cool.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy usually blows a belt a year or even two, has on all his doo’s over the years. His g5 is still on first belt, belt temps are lower for sure

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t see people running out buying alignment tools, Swiss cheesing belt guards, changing clutching and adding blow holes these days. So if a lot of people are blowing belts, I would say equally as much are just tossing on a new belt and carrying on.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 1300km on my 23 turbo when i changed tbe belt i always try to do the 1000km max to a belt i havnt had belt issues since my 17 when i was grenading them left and right

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The secondary has the fins on it to move the heat out. If you are in deep, heavy snow and the sled is not moving fast, the secondary is not spinning fast when maximum heat is being generated. This is opposite to how an ideal design would be. it would be best if the primary somehow moved the air through as it is spinning fast when loaded heavy.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an electric fan/blow hole thing on my one sled to cool the clutch. Seems to work pretty good.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The secondary has the fins on it to move the heat out. If you are in deep, heavy snow and the sled is not moving fast, the secondary is not spinning fast when maximum heat is being generated. This is opposite to how an ideal design would be. it would be best if the primary somehow moved the air through as it is spinning fast when loaded heavy.
good point. it's prolly the best design for most of the conditions encountered.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The back of the primary is finned aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to think this, but when you consider that most fans, leaf blowers, etc all typically spin under 4000rpm, I'm sure the secondary is spinning plenty fast enough. Stick your hand over the exhaust vent of a g5 and you will feel plenty of air movement.
I don't disagree that using the primary to move cooling air while stationary is a good idea, but this does happen to some extent.
Reality is, the focus needs to be on not producing the heat in the first place. It's just wasted hp, but good for the business model at $300 a pop.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have to think the new design with a dedicated cold air intake and exhaust plus keeping the hot engine air from reaching the clutches in the first place is superior but some real world evidence would be cool.

I thought this was the case, but the new plastic piece behind the secondary is perforated. It's clearly drawing air from the engine area.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure what piece you're referring to but i just looked at mine and when it's all buttoned up, i don't see where air from the engine is getting thru.
edit: just looked again and I see what you’re talking about which makes one wonder why they’re there.
the system is still far more isolated from engine heat than the G4 tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom