Belt life

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to think this, but when you consider that most fans, leaf blowers, etc all typically spin under 4000rpm, I'm sure the secondary is spinning plenty fast enough. Stick your hand over the exhaust vent of a g5 and you will feel plenty of air movement.
I don't disagree that using the primary to move cooling air while stationary is a good idea, but this does happen to some extent.
Reality is, the focus needs to be on not producing the heat in the first place. It's just wasted hp, but good for the business model at $300 a pop.
You hit the nail on the head by mentioning the heat should not be generated in the first place. Reality is something is slipping to make heat. My thought was at slower ground speed due to heavy wet snow, the engine is doing 8000 RPM but the sled is basically shifted down in a low gear and moving slower than normal. This lower speed means the secondary is spinning slower while the heat generated is higher than normal. The secondary has twice the circumfrenece as the primary and is spinning even less than 1/2 the speed so less fan action is taking place. The hotter clutch is almost always the primary as there is much less belt contact area so it slips there easier. What air flow is there to the primary compared to the secondary?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The secondary could still be rotating at a good speed. Deep snow doesn’t have positive traction so the track is spinning fast even though the ground speed is slow so the secondary is still spinning I’m betting. Almost need to put a tach on the secondary to see just how fast it’s going.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to joeys calculator, 8000 engine rpm at 1:1 clutch is 100 km/h. So even at 50 km/h the secondary is spinning 4000rpm.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned, but something to watch on the g5 is the frogskin over the clutch exhaust. It gets coated in belt dust and severely restricts air flow very quickly. This needs to get cleaned every few days for sure if you're a ripper.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned, but something to watch on the g5 is the frogskin over the clutch exhaust. It gets coated in belt dust and severely restricts air flow very quickly. This needs to get cleaned every few days for sure if you're a ripper.
Dave Norona mentioned this in one of his videos about clutch cleaning. I didn’t think it was a big deal until I checked the wife’s 23 summit and it was coated. She’s not an aggressive rider so I was surprised how caked it was.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines filthy after just a couple rides. Thinking since it’s an exhaust port, such a fine screen probably isn’t necessary. Debating on removing it altogether.

Last edited:

08dmax

Reaction score
Iv gone through 4 belts on my gen5 turbo, all under 800 km.. so has my riding buddies. 5 gen5 turbos in the group and no one can get over 1000km. 650-700km seams to be the time to change the belt before it blows up.. I clean my belt and clutches every 2-3 rides. Makes no difference.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Iv gone through 4 belts on my gen5 turbo, all under 800 km.. so has my riding buddies. 5 gen5 turbos in the group and no one can get over 1000km. 650-700km seams to be the time to change the belt before it blows up.. I clean my belt and clutches every 2-3 rides. Makes no difference.
That's unusual, I'm at 740 km and still on my first belt, planning on changing it and cleaning my clutches during the summer.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1200km on my gen5t. Belt is still good. It'll be my spare for now.

My buddy is at 1500km on his redline turbo gen5 on the factory belt.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put on a new belt an then go rip it up or give it a chance for break in ? I don't have a turbo so I'm sure throttle modulation is tough. My g5 NA is really good on the OE belt and will go next year on it as well.

08dmax

Reaction score
Mostly kitimat b.c. wet heavy coastal snow. We are low elevation 2000-4000' most of the time. But we get more snow then revolstoke.

08dmax

Reaction score
And we have a few stock doo low elevation clutched sleds . 1 ibackshift kit, 1 riderz full kit, 1 with the stock setup and a 150-300 primary sprig. And all about the same belt life

08dmax

Reaction score
All sleds use the factory belts, and the belts look good, that have a green color, so not like there slipping. They just get small cracks on them, where they touch the clutch shives.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mostly kitimat b.c. wet heavy coastal snow. We are low elevation 2000-4000' most of the time. But we get more snow then revolstoke.

both my gen 5 2023/2024 made it to 1200km on first belt and they didnt grenade they were just tired. I ride pretty hard and we get some good snow but its colder. I think the issue here is the heavy wet snow. That might just be what your belt life is unfortunately. since thats what all of your buddies are seing aswell. could try gearing down one tooth

08dmax

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking of doing next season, 1 tooth smaller on the top, fairly cheep to try and extend belt life. The hardest rider in the group has not got over 560km on a belt. All sleds are 165 x 3" tracks

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The secondary builds heat with the 157/303 secondary spring and the straight 40 helix. For lower elevation riding, a multi angle helix is needed with a 160/310 primary spring. Slight increase of pin weight as well to get extra squeeze for the lower elevation. I have set ups available if needed. Lowers belt temps and offers better mid range pull and faster backshift.

Top Bottom