Jackson Hole Hill Climb

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you ever sat back and thought about how much you contradict yourself? in one thread its all about the machine. the next it's all about the rider. you have doo shoved so far up your arse you can't even think straight. you should seriously look at getting into politics man. you could be the the next leader of the liberal party and lead this great nation. you really have that thought process perfected, lol.

lol im not sure where i said its all about the machine in regards to racing? i do recall saying everyone should have a factory turbo yep because they are a blast.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey they are getting closer to me switching, just need to ditch that awful steering system and were dang close.

I used to ride Doo and never had an issue with the steering but after I switched and got used to a vertical steering post I found I became a much better rider. The fact is if you are over top of the bars, the horizontal (doo)steering post is easier as you can use body weight to push down on one side or the other. With the Poo/Cat you need to push and pull, but advanced riding does not often allow you to be directly above the bars. Usually you are way out to the side, and now this is where the vertical design shines. You can now push and pull on the bars where with Doo you are trying to lift up and push down while your arms are stretched at a distance.

You really have to stick your arms out in front of you and go through the motions of up/down or push/pull to get an idea of what I am saying. Which motion do you feel your arms would have more power?

Now here is where it gets complicated for me. The sleds are getting so narrow and more snow-bike like in many ways. The trend is going away from "wrong foot forward" to more "stay centered". This style of centered riding is more suited to the horizontal steering post and if the sleds progress to a point that you can stay centered all the time, the Doo steering might be preferred. That said, snow-bikes have vertical steering posts and nobody complains about them.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this even a complement? Good job Kyle but let’s talk about me. I guess everyone who didn’t make it sucks because Burandt climbed it on a 600 once.

Attachments

• EC1A79F8-C345-465C-B095-0B1D191301DA.jpeg
    EC1A79F8-C345-465C-B095-0B1D191301DA.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 171

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this even a complement? Good job Kyle but let’s talk about me. I guess everyone who didn’t make it sucks because Burandt climbed it on a 600 once.
Someone has I'mfullofititis? I admire Kyle from coming out from Minny. He even brought a chit load of fans. If Burandt is still that good why isn't he there?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to ride Doo and never had an issue with the steering but after I switched and got used to a vertical steering post I found I became a much better rider. The fact is if you are over top of the bars, the horizontal (doo)steering post is easier as you can use body weight to push down on one side or the other. With the Poo/Cat you need to push and pull, but advanced riding does not often allow you to be directly above the bars. Usually you are way out to the side, and now this is where the vertical design shines. You can now push and pull on the bars where with Doo you are trying to lift up and push down while your arms are stretched at a distance.

You really have to stick your arms out in front of you and go through the motions of up/down or push/pull to get an idea of what I am saying. Which motion do you feel your arms would have more power?

Now here is where it gets complicated for me. The sleds are getting so narrow and more snow-bike like in many ways. The trend is going away from "wrong foot forward" to more "stay centered". This style of centered riding is more suited to the horizontal steering post and if the sleds progress to a point that you can stay centered all the time, the Doo steering might be preferred. That said, snow-bikes have vertical steering posts and nobody complains about them.

Dirt bikes do not have vertical steering. The bars do not stay flat when you turn. It’s not as extreme as doo steering post. But far closer to horizontal steering then vertical steering. I find when I ride a sled with horizontal steering. Many doos and a nytro, my arms stay straight and parallel with each other, same with my dirt bikes. The vertical steering makes me bend my elbow on bar grip that is closest to you when turning, because it stays flat. Which I find take input out of what I’m doing. It’s all a personal preference. I like the way Arctic cat offers both options.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey they are getting closer to me switching, just need to ditch that awful steering system and were dang close.

I agree as well.
The time I spent on Polaris sleds lately, Im not minding the steering as much as I used to. The steering works for That chassis, I know a person who tried a lay down kit that was a hard core doo rider when he switched to polaris, he ended up putting the post forward kit back in.

Id really like to leave my sled at home for a weekend, and actually ride a polaris for two or three days straight.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree as well.
The time I spent on Polaris sleds lately, Im not minding the steering as much as I used to. The steering works for That chassis, I know a person who tried a lay down kit that was a hard core doo rider when he switched to polaris, he ended up putting the post forward kit back in.

Id really like to leave my sled at home for a weekend, and actually ride a polaris for two or three days straight.
Matt, there will be a couple gentlemen:spy::spy: stopping by to pay you a visit. Don't be alarmed. They just want to revoke your Doolaide contract. :p

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree as well.

Funny, that’s how I feel about ski-doo. Afraid I may like it though so better not try

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't Ski-Doo hire some good riders? I'm sure this event sells sleds. I nominate Sean Maxwell! Move over Carl.
HeYman TeTh - AiR bY chance how did iroN - MaN miKe iRMaNs son CaLVaN makKe ouT he was riding arcTic CaT ... ??? HeYman mr MaxXxWeLL wiLL u be going through the PeTeRs drive iNN on the waY HoME .. douBle cheese BuRGeR wit double thick shake ... cough !! cough !! easy there snoPro Lmao ...beeP !! beeP !!

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got one in Edmonton now too
o wow 2 sToP McGee would be proud .. triple header if u sTop iNN CaLGaRy winkKK !! winkKK !! TRiPLEBurger wiT a xXxLarge DieT CokKe nowW youR taLkin .. i Like ThaTs.. home of the up in Flames .. Flames .. maybe coach darryl can work parT -TiMe aT peTeRs seeing iTs an earLy exiT !! and his bro LiVes iNN red deer area .. LoL... Go LeaFs GoooooOOOOO !! ok everybody o zone s back puT on youR Glasses ... MeaTBaLLs .. The PasT is A MYsTerY... The FuTURE is ReaL ... HuH !!

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
o wow 2 sToP McGee would be proud .. triple header if u sTop iNN CaLGaRy winkKK !! winkKK !! TRiPLEBurger wiT a xXxLarge DieT CokKe nowW youR taLkin .. i Like ThaTs.. home of the up in Flames .. Flames .. maybe coach darryl can work parT -TiMe aT peTeRs seeing iTs an earLy exiT !! and his bro LiVes iNN red deer area .. LoL... Go LeaFs GoooooOOOOO !! ok everybody o zone s back puT on youR Glasses ... MeaTBaLLs .. The PasT is A MYsTerY... The FuTURE is ReaL ... HuH !!

What I'd really be interested in knowing is what you possibly could have edited in your post Ozone?? Lol

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[TL/DR]: Jackson Hole hosts an annual snowmobile hill climb event on a local ski hill. Polaris won everything (again), and Ski-Doo faithful are butthurt (again). Thread took several side trips including border crossings, chains on ski loops, steering geometry, and possibilities of sending S&M’s elite crew of old farts, young farts, and fat farts to compete next year.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[TL/DR]: Jackson Hole hosts an annual snowmobile hill climb event on a local ski hill. Polaris won everything (again), and Ski-Doo faithful are butthurt (again). Thread took several side trips including border crossings, chains on ski loops, steering geometry, and possibilities of sending S&M’s elite crew of old farts, young farts, and fat farts to compete next year.

we have a Crew like that around here called the FOG club "fat old guys"!

shockman

Reaction score

I am pretty much a creeper on here, and find most sled experts are extremely bias and usually don’t know what they don’t know. I’ve listened to the steering post debate for years now and this is by far the best comment I’ve heard. Not right,not wrong just different and if everyone thought about this description they could decide what is preferable for their riding style. Just saying
oh and this doesn’t put tethy on a pedestal quite yet LOL

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris won 17 classes, Doo 8 and Cat 4 I believe. Please post Yamaha's results for comparison purposes please. Thanks!:p

Top Bottom