Is this becoming to expensive to do?

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll pipe up now. Motor blows- no warranty- season done. Been there done that. Right now sledding only fits into my schedule here and there, 3 planned trips, odd day trip where fits....

Not only the cost, but in the winter season with 2 kids in hockey and trucking company I work for, I'm way to damn busy to crack into a sled rebuild, and I guess to cheap and proud to drop off somewhere and have somebody else put their hands on my baby.!. That's a summer project.....

that being said, I'd do the odd day/couple day rental, or force me to rent and try a snow bike

ya no, I'd be doing rebuild my way, my hands. To much on the line, for piece of mind every wire/cable, every bolt, would be touched by me. May be the only place in my life I'm ocd

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Temporary would have the money for both, but would have to sell a different toy or what have you to get back the funds mabe

Would probably be different toy that doesn't get used much, but sledding, it's my release so it is what it is

sent while drinking tea's

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I blew a motor in my main ride I always have a backup sled to ride. I try to keep the fleet updated as much as we can afford lol. That means I am not always on the newest and greatest and that is fine. I'd rather have two reliable sleds that the girlfriend can also have something nice to ride which serves as a nice backup than have one brand new one for me.

A few winters back my main ride was down and out, motor was pooched but getting replaced (warranty). I could have ridden the back up sled but that motor was on its last legs as well and I didn't want to chance it for one weekend so I had to wait a week to ride again. I replaced the backup sled motor that summer. Had I blown a motor in season and no warranty its getting replaced to continue on with the season, if a heli ride is required, it sucks but oh well. That is the cost of mountain and back country sledding to me and a chance I think most of us take. If a few guys can make an attempt to tow it out, great. I know that isn't happening most days lol

Anytime you are travelling, sledding, in the winter, through the mountains there are unforeseen issues. If the roads are closed and you have to be at work the next day, can you afford to miss that day, or can you afford the extra hotel rooms? What about mechanical issues with your vehicles and so on.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After thinking about it for me its just this simple. If KB squeaks her motor, i can have it back and running in about a week. As long as repairs don't exceed $1500 but it would cut into the funds substantially and i'ed probably loose a month or more of sledding.
If i squeak my motor, game over. My season is done and sled will be parted out or go in dumpster. The cost is too high to repair.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
With those riders that fit payments (finances) into a monthly budget of so much a month and meeting the monthly pay cheque, it would be pretty tough. Like Danny said, even the possibility of extra vehicle expenses/hotel/meals with road closures or DOT seizing the vehicle/trailer due to non compliance, it could become very scary in a hurry. The one change I have noticed in the last 5 years is that there are a lot more newer sleds on the hill (probably due to financing availability) and it seems like a lot less people breaking down. The unforeseen expenses with 20 hours of driving could be a nightmare and very expensive for many.

I am happy that I can ride from the yard or take 10 minutes to the staging area and not have to worry too much about those unexpected things. Always been two good sleds in the stable, both with warranty, from the get go. I wouldn't want it any other way with some of the places we ride. I do know, chit can happen and that just has to be dealt with.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After thinking about it for me its just this simple. If KB squeaks her motor, i can have it back and running in about a week. As long as repairs don't exceed $1500 but it would cut into the funds substantially and i'ed probably loose a month or more of sledding.
If i squeak my motor, game over. My season is done and sled will be parted out or go in dumpster. The cost is too high to repair.

This is why I wouldn't want a four stroke sled or bike right here. Too much money to fix and above my skill set to do it myself.

I looked at my costs after a couple seasons back playin in the hills and decided our whole family would enjoy a place out west, four seasons. We were looking at a farm quarter around our home in Alberta and boy am I glad we didn't go that route, with the wet weather this year and the whole bill6/NDP deal last year. I don't envy a farmers position this year and have much respect for those that choose that way of life.

It costs me a tank of fuel each way and some food and beer, sled gas and oil. About 4-500$ per trip, regardless of how long I stay. The mortgage payment, bills and taxes are quite reasonable to own and maintain our investment. I feel I recoup my lodging and then some later when/if we ever sell the cabin.

I have also made the decision to quit golfing, rarely camp/quad anymore, focus my hunting and trapping to maximize efficiency and reduce travel expenses, maintenance and associated costs. I was also hitting the odd rock with my boat running Alberta rivers, which was going to hit me really hard, sooner than later. That problem is now solved floating on the Shuswap in 300' of water. Boat gas expensive? Yes so we find a nice beach and have a weeny roast and snorkel and skip rocks, troll back home on the 9.9 kicker... My point is that I had to decide what I wanted to do and reduce or totally stop some other activities to afford it.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? To me, yes also.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This is why I wouldn't want a four stroke sled or bike right here. Too much money to fix and above my skill set to do it myself.

I looked at my costs after a couple seasons back playin in the hills and decided our whole family would enjoy a place out west, four seasons. We were looking at a farm quarter around our home in Alberta and boy am I glad we didn't go that route, with the wet weather this year and the whole bill6/NDP deal last year. I don't envy a farmers position this year and have much respect for those that choose that way of life.

It costs me a tank of fuel each way and some food and beer, sled gas and oil. About 4-500$ per trip, regardless of how long I stay. The mortgage payment, bills and taxes are quite reasonable to own and maintain our investment. I feel I recoup my lodging and then some later when/if we ever sell the cabin.

I have also made the decision to quit golfing, rarely camp/quad anymore, focus my hunting and trapping to maximize efficiency and reduce travel expenses, maintenance and associated costs. I was also hitting the odd rock with my boat running Alberta rivers, which was going to hit me really hard, sooner than later. That problem is now solved floating on the Shuswap in 300' of water. Boat gas expensive? Yes so we find a nice beach and have a weeny roast and snorkel and skip rocks, troll back home on the 9.9 kicker... My point is that I had to decide what I wanted to do and reduce or totally stop some other activities to afford it.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? To me, yes also.

and that is exactly what I mean about priorities. One has to have really deep pockets to be able to do all the seasonal sports. Not many can do that anymore, so yes, things are very expensive and generally, one has to choose.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, priorities! for myself, the cost, danger, travel time has now far outweighed the enjoyment received. will see what this year brings, but i'm thinking i may be done. finding more enjoyment out riding atv/SxS.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Exact opposite here. Got 4 sleds in the barn this year and did zero quadding this summer.
yup, priorities! for myself, the cost, danger, travel time has now far outweighed the enjoyment received. will see what this year brings, but i'm thinking i may be done. finding more enjoyment out riding atv/SxS.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do a bit more sledding than most. But I'm divorced see and marriage, now that was expensive for me.

2 car payments, 2 sleds, two bikes, side by side,house, 400$ jeans, nails once a week, 200$ bottles of fawkin shampoo and the list goes on.

Wow, let me tell yea, sledding is CHEAP. lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya. i got 4 sleds, haven't used in 3 yrs. will see what transpires this year, will see if i can get excited about sledding this winter. snow would help!

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do a bit more sledding than most. But I'm divorced see and marriage, now that was expensive for me.

2 car payments, 2 sleds, two bikes, side by side,house, 400$ jeans, nails once a week, 200$ bottles of fawkin shampoo and the list goes on.

Now you know why divorces are so expensive......... Cause they're worth it!!!!!!

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I hear that!

Plus I've got 2 young kids and a single income household.

I appreciate the better visibility, but cmon.....$100 for a wax job?

Ugh.....I'll pay it.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Should of took your balls out of the x's purse and told to quit spending that kind of money! Might of been cheaper yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should of took your balls out of the x's purse and told to quit spending that kind of money! Might of been cheaper yet!

Tried that, didn't work. Sometimes it's just not meant to be is all I can tell yea.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yikes! And I thought Polaris products were high maintenance! Lol

Top Bottom