Is this becoming to expensive to do?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With my kids activities I don't get a lot of riding time these days. But I would rather have a 2010 sled with 1200 miles on it sitting for 8 months of the year and being paid for than some of the other powersports where you have $100,000.00 tied up and only get to use it for a few months a year as well. Easier to stomach for me. Regular maintenance per year is minimal and minimal storage costs for my sled verses winterizing something like a wake boat and paying for storage somewhere. Better mileage on the sled too. Lol.

IMO.
100 % correct

Mike the o.p, how much was your boat new when ya got it??

And the cost to run it for how much it's used??

My boat was bought super cheap ( 6500), works awesome and can sit all it wants for what it owes lol

And I know u never used yours till you went to the island, and u live on oak Lake

I know it's your buddy that's the post question

But using your sxs and boat for example with lack of use and all, are you selling your boat too with sxs???

sent while drinking tea's

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me a chose boating over sledding! It's not cheaper to purchase the boat but not that much more, but it was cheaper then 2 new sleds as we need to buy one for me and one for the wife. I find boating I have no worries, and a nice cruise down the river is hard to beat! And in a few years my boat will only drop a thousand or two in value appose to dropping in half in a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
y-who, the idea behind this post is it would be nice if BC like Eastern Canada had a season pass that covers the all of BC for sledding.

Buy a weekly pass for those that get out once or twice,,, and yearly for those that like too rock and roll the season all year.

Only a thought as its up to the next generation too team up to get the province on board with province wide snowmobile fee.

If large province of Ontario and Quebec did it, why not BC.

One time fee idea is an idea only friends, keeps a level playing field between the clubs as each recives allocated funds for each zone or district.

Just a 2 cent thought from Pal Don

Trying to compare Eastern Canada, or anywhere east of BC really when it comes to trail fees isn't really comparing apples to apples, think about it. First off how do you split up the trail fees between clubs that have only a few members and do no grooming or trail work with a club like Revy that runs new groomers, cabins, land use issues, trail work (we put over 20000$), signage, parking lot attendant wages, groomer wages, etc.
Also most other provinces, like the ones mentioned, Ontario and Quebec, have a vast network of trials that all link up from one area to the next, one town to the other, easier to split up the pie, also they have a higher percentage of sledders that are club members, we still struggle with getting people to join their local club, when you live in a remote area and only ride undeveloped areas guys don't join clubs.
Here in Revy if you are not a member, which is 180$, it's 20$ a day, not that bad in my opinion.
Me, I am hooked, being up in the alpine gives me life, allows me to clear my head, spend time with some great people and friends that most of them I have met through sledding, would I recommend someone who isn't hooked get into it? I am not sure, but I am lucky and have built up all my gear and equipment over 20+ years so it definitely helps spread the costs around. To decide today I was going to get into it would be tough, just like fishing, I have amassed all the crap over years, not just one shot.

In the end some people will be out and others will join, we had an incredibly busy year here and are preparing for another one, the club just purchased a tiller to help with the increasing traffic and people wanting to get up into the alpine.

hope everyone has a great safe, and pow filled season

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This thread should be renamed "I think I'm getting too old to sled".

Ha, I find it interesting reading this thread and the Provincial pass thread.

As we go through life we have different priorities and different changes resulting in different priorities in our lifestyles. Take the young teenager (on dad's dime), to the young 20 year old out and getting into the sport with financed biggest and the best (I know not all may be financed), to the 40 something with a young and growing family, and then to the older retired folks.

There is also the large group of people who use "excuses" and that group covers the whole range of riders. It might be anything from too expensive, to hard on the body, to much time away from the family, the wife doesn't like it, work is too busy, etc., etc.

If one really wants to sled, one will find a way and organize themselves to enjoy the sport. As one ages, physical shape is a no-brainer, money is more understandable, and life's demands change with marriage, kids, work responsibilities, and so on.

I am sure Johnny has his tongue firmly planted in his cheek and is laughing about the "old" comment..........................I tend to agree with him.

I dropped other activities to pursue our passion. I am not whining about the cost nor am I whining about the loss of other activities. It is a fact of life and I can't change that at this point on my journey through this fantastic sport. We had quite a learning curve this past summer trying to get to where we will be with the first ride this winter but we loved the process and we will love the winter.

7000' with lemon garlic shrimp, my wife with a big chit hook grin on her face, and I am very close to heaven. When are those new sleds arriving...............??????

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, I find it interesting reading this thread and the Provincial pass thread.

As we go through life we have different priorities and different changes resulting in different priorities in our lifestyles. Take the young teenager (on dad's dime), to the young 20 year old out and getting into the sport with financed biggest and the best (I know not all may be financed), to the 40 something with a young and growing family, and then to the older retired folks.

There is also the large group of people who use "excuses" and that group covers the whole range of riders. It might be anything from too expensive, to hard on the body, to much time away from the family, the wife doesn't like it, work is too busy, etc., etc.

If one really wants to sled, one will find a way and organize themselves to enjoy the sport. As one ages, physical shape is a no-brainer, money is more understandable, and life's demands change with marriage, kids, work responsibilities, and so on.

I am sure Johnny has his tongue firmly planted in his cheek and is laughing about the "old" comment..........................I tend to agree with him.

I dropped other activities to pursue our passion. I am not whining about the cost nor am I whining about the loss of other activities. It is a fact of life and I can't change that at this point on my journey through this fantastic sport. We had quite a learning curve this past summer trying to get to where we will be with the first ride this winter but we loved the process and we will love the winter.

7000' with lemon garlic shrimp, my wife with a big chit hook grin on her face, and I am very close to heaven. When are those new sleds arriving...............??????
Sooner than you think!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug, if you never stop riding, you'll never get old :)

That's my plan...............................and save every summer to ride the glorious powder that the snow God's dump.

Even with the pre-season training, it is amazing how tired one is after the first ride of the season compared to a ride in April/May! We love every minute of it and what can be better for your health throughout the winter months; great fresh air at elevation, great food, great exercise, great laughs, great friends, and the odd refreshment over a bunch of lies and fantastic stories!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers, the mountains were massive fun for me to, banged off 14 ish years, 8 new sleds and thousands of days wearing them out, Ha.

Totally agree with the above, age and funds, so now I pay next to nill too ride all season at lakes, rocks, trees close to home.

Out every weekend camping and bon-fires, smallest amount of gas too play ground, and 2 too 3 days packing down snow with quad tracks.

Slow going compared to sled, but sure comfortable drinking coffee and taking on the Wolves in first gear travels, LOL.

Each of us finds what works as the funds need to go somewhere, sitting at home sucks.

Nice to spend what we enjoy and sock away for other things.

All win win as we reep the rewards of work.

Living the dream is part of the grand plan.

Don

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread should be renamed "I think I'm getting too old to sled".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't totally agree with this, but there may be some truth to it in some instances, but the costs have increased quite a bit over the past 10 yrs that Ive been mtn sledding.

For me I'm the only one in My household that mtn sleds and I'm under 40. I do love and enjoy it but I feel that the hobby I enjoy is selfish. I catch myself thinking of my young kids and wanting to invest in toys that we can do together.

So I guess its a matter of priorities and what matters the most and what i think is best for me and my family.

This is a very interesting topic and I applaud the OP for starting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too expensive? Compared to... Divorce Lawyer? Nope - sleds might cost thousands but they don't try to take away half your house and pension, plus my wife loves it when I get out sledding with my two boys! Cocaine? Nope - might be just as addictive but sledding keeps me motivated to work hard and do well so I can afford it! Rehab or Therapy? Nope - I have a great relationship with my boys as we talk for hours out to Revy and back plus getting away from it all keeps things in perspective! Now it is too expensive if you don't sled appropriately to what disposable income you have prioritized for winter fun... When I started out 25 years ago we went 5 guys packed into a ford supercab (not crew!) 2 wheel drive, stuffed into one room at the Frontier (who ever passed out last got the floor!), made sandwiches at home, split pizzas at Zala's and had a ball for about $200 including fuel for truck and sleds. Good times! Bit different now that we're in a different stage of life, incomes, etc. costs a lot but worth EVERY penny! Bigger the Thrill, the Bigger the Bill! Ask anyone who has had turbo sleds and they will verify this...

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen some good points here and i understand where some are coming from but i must say no matter how expensive sledding gets im just gonna work that much harder to make it happen ..any money i do save over the summer is always what i consider my sledding funds the more i save the longer my sled trips can be or maybe get out for a couple extras throughout the winter however it may work out either way the goal is to have more days in the mountains. when i am puutting in long hours during seeding or harvest i just keep thinking that if i keep saving and keep working it will be all worth it come winter when i can escape and get out west to tear up the backcountry with a good group of friends that all love the sport and love spending time in the mountains. so to all the people that think its getting to expensive i hope you change your mind and figure out a way to make it happen!!!!!!

hope to see you on the snow
Regards
BCAV

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming from the prairies and getting ready for my first mountain riding season, I have to agree. Quite a bit more cash required than for trail riding.

I agree! Last year was our first year out and we can never go back to ditch bangin/ mud dodging.
Can't just get away with an old Indy 500, helmet, and tough duck jacket and ride out from your garage!

I ended up buying brand new since I know I'm going to be doing this for as long as I can, and I didn't want someone elses issues. I've never owned a brand new machine and now I'm able to afford one.....so why not?

But then the mod bug bites........

Have you done your AST1 yet?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

SnowDog

Reaction score
I got out of mountain sledding a couple years ago after 15 years due to what I call the cost vs fun factor, it was just getting to damn expensive to head out west, like most guys say on here, it is a seven hundred dollar bill for a three day weekend and thats if there are at least three of you sharing costs in your group. Than you get there and conditions suck some times, which I know is out of anyones control, but it still sucks.
BUT
I tried flat land riding at my cabin in northern Sask. and other areas and it just not mountain riding, I get bored very quickly blasting across a lake or riding trails all day.
So, I bought a 2014 mountain sled, not a new sled, prices are just stupid these days!! Getting back into it and just do our best to cut costs where we can to continue enjoying the mountains!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't totally agree with this, but there may be some truth to it in some instances, but the costs have increased quite a bit over the past 10 yrs that Ive been mtn sledding.

For me I'm the only one in My household that mtn sleds and I'm under 40. I do love and enjoy it but I feel that the hobby I enjoy is selfish. I catch myself thinking of my young kids and wanting to invest in toys that we can do together.

So I guess its a matter of priorities and what matters the most and what i think is best for me and my family.

This is a very interesting topic and I applaud the OP for starting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couldnt agree more. Thats exactly where Im at right now. Live 20 minutes from some pretty incredible riding, and find I would rather spend the weekends with my 2 boys. They are just about to turn 2 and 4 and theyre friggin awesome. Ill never get this time back with them so Im gonna make the best of it. Not saying thats what everyone has to do. Just my priority right now.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more. Thats exactly where Im at right now. Live 20 minutes from some pretty incredible riding, and find I would rather spend the weekends with my 2 boys. They are just about to turn 2 and 4 and theyre friggin awesome. Ill never get this time back with them so Im gonna make the best of it. Not saying thats what everyone has to do. Just my priority right now.

I'm kinda in the same boat, though my kids, now adults and both boys don't sled and have little interest in sledding even though they both had sleds when at home LOL.
If given an opportunity to go hang out with one of them, i would take it over sledding. I alway's thought they would take sledding as part of their life, but nope.
One is an avid out doors man that fishes and hunt's pretty much all year. While the other is a hockey player and belongs to a local league.
So yes take advantage of it, the years go fast and the next thing they are gone doing there own stuff.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too expensive? Compared to... Divorce Lawyer? Nope - sleds might cost thousands but they don't try to take away half your house and pension, plus my wife loves it when I get out sledding with my two boys! Cocaine? Nope - might be just as addictive but sledding keeps me motivated to work hard and do well so I can afford it! Rehab or Therapy? Nope - I have a great relationship with my boys as we talk for hours out to Revy and back plus getting away from it all keeps things in perspective! Now it is too expensive if you don't sled appropriately to what disposable income you have prioritized for winter fun... When I started out 25 years ago we went 5 guys packed into a ford supercab (not crew!) 2 wheel drive, stuffed into one room at the Frontier (who ever passed out last got the floor!), made sandwiches at home, split pizzas at Zala's and had a ball for about $200 including fuel for truck and sleds. Good times! Bit different now that we're in a different stage of life, incomes, etc. costs a lot but worth EVERY penny! Bigger the Thrill, the Bigger the Bill! Ask anyone who has had turbo sleds and they will verify this...

Compared to a divorce layer? no. not compared to that. Not compared to lots of stuff. That's not the question. The question is it GETTING too expensive. Like compared to 5-10 years ago. and no. It isn't. It is the same as it always was. Maybe peoples priorities are changing. This is nothing new either. Peoples priorities are always changing. Also, I don't see how a 2 day weekend is costing some of you $700 when you live in the Edmonton area. 4 people splitting fuel and 2 hotel rooms should be like $250 each. Sled fuel/oil, trail passes etc might be another $100.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This may be my last post in this thread. A lot of what peeps are saying is true and to each their own. There is now 10 pages of whining and it appears ongoing. I have stated before, life changes and evolves in various stages. That is a good thing. If it doesn't suit you at this stage in life, move along and find something that you enjoy and can afford. Do we have to listen/read 10 pages of this constant whine???????????

When I started sledding, my income was $10,000/year. 3000 miles a year on the old 440 bullet proof Kawasaki motors. Traded every year due to wanting reliability (still want that reliability out in today's backcountry and have never financed a sled). My wife got hooked and it was two sleds in the family and it is that way today. It is all relative. We make it work because we love the sport and we make it fit the budget. Never once have we whined about it!

The tread started out as someone throwing out a problem or an ear bending statement on the phone to the OP. We can't change people's situations and as adults we have to find a way. That is how we got this far in life and that is how we will get on to tomorrow and the next day/week/year. Good luck to all and I hope this season is the best one you will have to this point in life!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a 2 day weekend is costing some of you $700 when you live in the Edmonton area.

Quick average estimate per day; since I haven't seen it on here yet.

Sled Fuel ~ $60
Trail Pass ~ $30
Oil ~ $8
1/2 Hotel Room ~ $75

Now add in breakfast/trail lunch/snacks/supper also per day. Being frugal with no drinks (why go) about another ~ $60/day
So that puts it ~ $235/day and there is still the fuel for the truck to be added in.
So upgrade to a nice supper with a few drinks instead of A&W; take the truck back and forth to the staging areas; plus hauling a trailer from Edmonton and back. Can get to ~ $700 without even trying hard at all. Throw in a runaway night after supper and $1000 is not a problem.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You eat at home too so you can leave out food. $500 for 2 days. no more than that.

You are at ~ $175/day without eating or putting fuel in the truck......and eating at a restaurant twice/day; plus buying snacks, drinks, and subs or sandwiches at the gas station costs way more than eating at home. Waaaaaaay more. Been doing this a long time and it never was cheap. Depending on what you want to do it can be as expensive as you make it. Eat oatmeal packs in your room for breakfast, bring a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter to make lunches. Bring buns and lunch meat for supper in the hotel room and keep refilling the same water bottle for your whole trip if that's what floats yer boat. It can be done.....but I go for the whole "get away with the boys" thing so we don't roll that way in our crew.

Last edited:
Top Bottom