Is this becoming to expensive to do?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever. Same as it ever was. You think I haven't bought a gas station sub and a cliff bar before? It isn't for people with families living hand to mouth. Maybe 10 years from now there will be a backcountry motorized vehicle carbon tax and mandatory and search and rescue annual fee of $5000. We can bring this thread back then.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sheer amount of money is the single Biggest reason I don't sled. If you count money/mile especially in the mountains. I run ATV's 11 months out of the year and can buy 2 for the price of a mountain sled. Plus at 11 years and 8,000kms I figure mine are about 1/2 worn out. I can go camping for a weekend with a couple hundred km's of trail riding, "all in" for about $200, not including beer. That's pretty easy math for me.

Except quadding sucks so factor that in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
With my kids activities I don't get a lot of riding time these days. But I would rather have a 2010 sled with 1200 miles on it sitting for 8 months of the year and being paid for than some of the other powersports where you have $100,000.00 tied up and only get to use it for a few months a year as well. Easier to stomach for me. Regular maintenance per year is minimal and minimal storage costs for my sled verses winterizing something like a wake boat and paying for storage somewhere. Better mileage on the sled too. Lol.

IMO.

The above ads for a ski boat is proof right there what is completely out of whack. Seriously, $109k for a boat??? $15-18k for a new 850 Summit??? People have their priorities completely ass backwards. Considering how every time Nothead opens her mouth, another 1000 jobs seem to vanish in thin air, this sport will continue to be thinned out of participants...

What's happening here is the majority of people who do ride are getting downright fed up with price increase on everything related to the sport. Why is it that in order to enjoy a few days of modest riding in the mountains, it will cost a guy $1k alone for the trip and an additional $2000 in additional gear alone?

Another point..Give it another 2 years the way things are going, the dealers will be out on the street as well. I was in Stojan's squeaky new dealership two weeks ago, outside of the staff of 10 people sitting around twiddling their thumbs, I was the only person in there looking. Scary times for them considering how much bread that new building and land must of set them back, and the place was dead quiet...

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Stojan's squeaky new dealership two weeks ago, outside of the staff of 10 people sitting around twiddling their thumbs, I was the only person in there looking. Scary times for them considering how much bread that new building and land must of set them back, and the place was dead quiet...

Same way it was when we were in there awhile ago. Had the whole store to ourselves. They still have lots of 2016 sleds still in crates too is what the salesman told us.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well talked to my buddy again last night and nothing has really changed.
Simply put he has had his run with sledding for a lot of years, it was a great memorable experience, met lots of great people and now its time to move on to new and maybe better things. Better in the way of not costing so much. Those are his words.
But he did say as long as the sled is not sold he will go sledding when he can. So i made pending arrangements with him for Jan., hope the sled doesn't sell LOL.

Thx for a great thread guys, lots of views, all really good.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for this thread Lund, after 19yrs of mtn riding Im also done. Sold my enclosed to TylerG on here last fall. Never replaced it as Lloydminster was in first yr of slow down. Tonite I just sold my Nytro to guy in the Edmonton area. This yr has been worse. Hopefully my deck goes tomorrow, then will just have the old TRX1 to go. Thats going to be a tough sale thou. For me the fun as left & all I think is the cost. The drive out & back, hotel rooms, food, etc made me decide its not worth it anymore. Guess if lived within 3hrs, totally different story. Over the yrs, met lots of great people.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
y-who, the idea behind this post is it would be nice if BC like Eastern Canada had a season pass that covers the all of BC for sledding.

Buy a weekly pass for those that get out once or twice,,, and yearly for those that like too rock and roll the season all year.

Only a thought as its up to the next generation too team up to get the province on board with province wide snowmobile fee.

If large province of Ontario and Quebec did it, why not BC.

One time fee idea is an idea only friends, keeps a level playing field between the clubs as each recives allocated funds for each zone or district.

Just a 2 cent thought from Pal Don

Trying to compare Eastern Canada, or anywhere east of BC really when it comes to trail fees isn't really comparing apples to apples, think about it. First off how do you split up the trail fees between clubs that have only a few members and do no grooming or trail work with a club like Revy that runs new groomers, cabins, land use issues, trail work (we put over 20000$), signage, parking lot attendant wages, groomer wages, etc.
Also most other provinces, like the ones mentioned, Ontario and Quebec, have a vast network of trials that all link up from one area to the next, one town to the other, easier to split up the pie, also they have a higher percentage of sledders that are club members, we still struggle with getting people to join their local club, when you live in a remote area and only ride undeveloped areas guys don't join clubs.
Here in Revy if you are not a member, which is 180$, it's 20$ a day, not that bad in my opinion.
Me, I am hooked, being up in the alpine gives me life, allows me to clear my head, spend time with some great people and friends that most of them I have met through sledding, would I recommend someone who isn't hooked get into it? I am not sure, but I am lucky and have built up all my gear and equipment over 20+ years so it definitely helps spread the costs around. To decide today I was going to get into it would be tough, just like fishing, I have amassed all the crap over years, not just one shot.

In the end some people will be out and others will join, we had an incredibly busy year here and are preparing for another one, the club just purchased a tiller to help with the increasing traffic and people wanting to get up into the alpine.

hope everyone has a great safe, and pow filled season

It's interesting on how we tackle that in Sask and it may even work out your way. When we buy license plates, a goodp ortion of that money goes into a trail fund. We do not have a permit system or pay into the trail system otherwise. As long as you have plates, you are entitled to the trail system here.

Monies are distributed out of that system through a Matrix - traffic counts, miles groomed, how often the trail is groomed, etc all goes into account and money is distributed as necessary.

Initially, people were against this, but I think as time has gone on, it has become quite well received. Areas which get little snow, and have low traffic counts and grooming hours receive little money in comparison to the areas which groom a lot because they have the snow. Is there abuse? Positive there is as I hear of clubs who groomed with very marginal snow to make some money and some overgroom.

Not saying this is the way everyone else should go, but it proves that if everyone puts their heads together, they may come up with something that is fair and works as good as possible for everyone.

Biggest question I see is how do you account for the out of province people who likely make up the majority? Different discussion for a different day - I don't want to get away from the point of this thread. This was only meant to be a response to your comment about the division of trail fees.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on! The best post in the thread!

You said you were done posting in this thread. Just couldn't stay away lol

I don't know why people are arguing over how much one another spends. Who the hell cares. Spend however much or little you wish. If it costs someone $175 a day or $700 a weekend big deal. Does it really matter? Spends as much as it takes for you to have a good time and get home to see your family and do it again another day.

Seriously so many first world problems in the sledding community lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I don't know why people are arguing over how much one another spends. Who the hell cares. Spend however much or little you wish. If it costs someone $175 a day or $700 a weekend big deal. Does it really matter? Spends as much as it takes for you to have a good time and get home to see your family and do it again another day.

I just had to acknowledge that great post of thegeneral!

I agree with you about spending the money; if one can't afford it go do something else. Let the rest of us enjoy spending our savings on our passion.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for this thread Lund, after 19yrs of mtn riding Im also done. Sold my enclosed to TylerG on here last fall. Never replaced it as Lloydminster was in first yr of slow down. Tonite I just sold my Nytro to guy in the Edmonton area. This yr has been worse. Hopefully my deck goes tomorrow, then will just have the old TRX1 to go. Thats going to be a tough sale thou. For me the fun as left & all I think is the cost. The drive out & back, hotel rooms, food, etc made me decide its not worth it anymore. Guess if lived within 3hrs, totally different story. Over the yrs, met lots of great people.

Thank's for the acknowledgement.
Even though i think some people kinda lost the idea in this thread. Which had nothing to do with me or seriously.....trail passes.
The cost of doing this sport is substantial and is slowly becoming a rich man's sport and that's too bad. Especially for people that are involved in other thing's and not just sledding. My buddy has grand kids now and would love to continue sledding but not at the expense of not spending that time with the kids.
Add the cost of sleds and gear, getting out and the time needed to ride, sledding is more of a solo thing a personal indulgement. He feel's he has had his time after 25yrs. Now its time for the grand kids when he's got the time.
Kinda like you, the fun ran out and left him when he knew he was missing out on something more important in the last couple years. Now having to upgrade the sled and some gear. The cost of membership and the general cost of sledding, he's decided to hang it up.
Hat off to him imo, its not an easy thing to do when you have been involved for so long.

As i'm nearing retirement, i see my self doing the same...maybe LOL. But for now i'll be sledding as i also have responsibilities with the local SAR's unit.
Like someone has mentioned, its about priorities and priorities change as years go by and one's life style changes. Some people, never really change or expand their experiences. Too bad.

Exactly, if its your passion thats awesome. Or maybe it use to be your passion and thats ok too. Every body is different and this thread was to find out what people thought of the cost of sledding in general.
Not expensive, average, expensive, way too much for my income lately. I was looking at what people were doing to adjust the cost. I got the picture, on average lots feel that it is an expensive sport but for them worth it and i also got what many were doing to help them justify the cost. Then there are others that feel that no matter how expensive it is, they are going to ride and thats the cost of sledding......i ignored those post because they where useless non productive.

BTW i was trying to convince my buddy to keep riding...now i understand

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just installed grippers on my xm, told the wife they will help be ride better. Before that I bought a sled deck this year, told her it's easier to haul my sled and quads as well :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
...................Then there are others that feel that no matter how expensive it is, they are going to ride and thats the cost of sledding......i ignored those post because they where useless non productive.

So in your eyes those people can't have an opinion? They didn't go with your train of thought and therefore in your mind "those posts were useless non productive".................you take the cake Mike! It appears that it is your way or the highway.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in your eyes those people can't have an opinion? They didn't go with your train of thought and therefore in your mind "those posts were useless non productive".................you take the cake Mike! It appears that it is your way or the highway.

No your missing what Lund is saying, he ignored the non productive posts like this.

"I agree with you about spending the money; if one can't afford it go do something else. Let the rest of us enjoy spending our savings on our passion"

For once on this forum this was a decent discussion on a topic that hits home abit more these days.

Maybe a more respectful approach to someone else's finances and personal situation....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No your missing what Lund is saying, he ignored the non productive posts like this.

"I agree with you about spending the money; if one can't afford it go do something else. Let the rest of us enjoy spending our savings on our passion"

For once on this forum this was a decent discussion on a topic that hits home abit more these days.

Maybe a more respectful approach to someone else's finances and personal situation....

Exactly, thank you.

Sorry, i don't disagree with you about your last comment. But your reading between lines and putting a twist into something that is a none issue.
Telling a friend that it doesn't matter the cost, its all about riding, doesn't help. Some of the post essentially said that and gave me no useful information, that's what i meant.

Post i'm referring when i say your last comment:
I just had to acknowledge that great post of thegeneral!

I agree with you about spending the money; if one can't afford it go do something else. Let the rest of us enjoy spending our savings on our passion.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, excluding guy's with full warranties. If your sled motor blew would that end your season? And even if you have warranty, if your motor blew and warranty was voided would that be the end of your season?
OR
If you had to be heli'd out and was left with a $1000 bill to get the sled back to the parking.

The question is some what related to the topic as i'm wondering if the average sledder is riding on a fixed budget or if the average has a plan "B" backup for the unforeseen OMG scenario.
In my case, i all way's carried an emergency credit card for a heli out situation. As for plan "B" engine failure, i don't want to think about that. I might have to talk to RS LOL

Top Bottom