InReach Explorer or Sat Phone?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the inreach explorer and really like it. I have the earthmate app on my I phone. I put the I phone on airplane mode and enable the blue tooth. Using the app you can text like a regular cell phone via the app so it will only take texts with people you are in conversation with on the devise. I sent bbtoys a text from sprit lake in Renshaw and he responded back in less than 30 seconds. We were talking back and forth testing this. Then when we were heading back to the truck we sent a text to bounce that we were in a certain area and he can meet us at the staging area, they responded and asked me if I could do something for the groomer. A guy had a broken A arm. We texted our local buddy and one was puts aside at the local shop. The navigation works great as well. I really don't see the point of any second devices as this has many features. While playing around with it I went in to the max plan to see what I would average use. I figure the plan to get would be the discover for 29.95 month. Rubbing this from 8:30 am till 6:00 pm the battery runs down to 84% in a day with moderate use. It has a battery charge indicator that counts down and tells you battery condition.

My only suggestion would be to install a power adapter (cig lighter) on your sled and carry the car charger for it. I know a couple of people that have pulled their inreach out to find they had left it on and battery was dead.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I would think this isn't a problem as I had 84% battery remaining after running on tracking every minute. And running the text function. And this was at -12 all day with my inreach inside my back bag. With that it would last 4 days minimum. I charge it each night.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The other thing I thought was quite interesting is that when I texted out it would provide a detailed text with a map of my gps coordinates where I sent the text from. I can include that person or a group of people to be able to track where I'm going or have been. This thing is well versatile in what it can do.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The unit I have is the In reach Explorer, this has several more functions than the regular one. Don't cheap out this is well worth it's money. The difference is Navigation capabilities are built in, Digital compass, Barometric Altimeter, accelerometer, You can mark waypoints in the field, Color coded map view, Route planning and sharing, Detailed track logging, and it came with a nice carrying case

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
So I can use my iPhone to text at 9,000' ? Under a normal plan. Using data from the inReach?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'm very happy with my Inteach Explorer as well haven't played with it as much as Ron but it served its purpose very well on my last sledding trip. The text sent out has a "link" to their map showing your texting location, wifey was impressed that it was so easy to access that location.
Texting on the unit is a little cumbersome but would clearly save a live if required.
CheerZ

Life is good in "Da Hood"

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So I can use my iPhone to text at 9,000' ? Under a normal plan. Using data from the inReach?

The more technology that is added to the system, the more problems you may experience.

I can't for the life of me understand why a person needs/wants the tracking package. Spend that money on a GPS and then download the track(s) to Google Earth. Use the inReach to let your contacts know where you start your trip from, maybe an update at lunch if you feel the need, and then another message at the end of the day from the staging area when you have arrived safe and sound.

I love my inReach and only send two pre-set messages a day (when and where I am starting my trip and the second one is when I arrive back at my truck). The third pre-set message states "I am delayed but we are okay" and the contacts have been pre-told if they receive that message that either there is a mechanical problem, or we are towing out a dead sled, or whatever. If help is needed, I will send a personal message.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The more technology that is added to the system, the more problems you may experience.

I can't for the life of me understand why a person needs/wants the tracking package. Spend that money on a GPS and then download the track(s) to Google Earth. Use the inReach to let your contacts know where you start your trip from, maybe an update at lunch if you feel the need, and then another message at the end of the day from the staging area when you have arrived safe and sound.

I love my inReach and only send two pre-set messages a day (when and where I am starting my trip and the second one is when I arrive back at my truck). The third pre-set message states "I am delayed but we are okay" and the contacts have been pre-told if they receive that message that either there is a mechanical problem, or we are towing out a dead sled, or whatever. If help is needed, I will send a personal message.

I agree , we are starting to move toward the expectation that we can or should have full service and full contact at all times. There will be circumstances where that would be good, but those are the exception . For me one of the problems with having same contact ability as at home is that's one of the reasons I go to camp or sledding , to get away from the phone and work and sometimes the personal issues. If everyone is aware you have the ability to send and receive all day, they're gonna expect it, and that changes the experience. I still like my global star phone, I can check my messages when I want , call who I want, report where I am and if in need of rescue or repair. It works great and it's cheap.

j-mart14

Reaction score
my group of riders and i have been looking to getting these inreach or the Garmin rino gps i lean towards the inreach for the range,sos and price we all have the cheaper radios for talking but my main question is can i sent my gps location to another inreace device? Can this be done on both models ? also can you type in a gps location ie.w109.08 east49.03........ basically i want to know if i can share info between deceives or can you only text to a pre set number

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
although i have not done it from what i have read in my manual you should be able to text your co-ords to another inreach (both models). but you would have to look at your location (gps co-ords) and then enter them and text to the other in reach

EDIT..... just turned mine on and there is a share location button, so you wouldnt need to manually enter it. just hit the share and as long as you have your buds inreach in your contacts you are good to go

my group of riders and i have been looking to getting these inreach or the Garmin rino gps i lean towards the inreach for the range,sos and price we all have the cheaper radios for talking but my main question is can i sent my gps location to another inreace device? Can this be done on both models ? also can you type in a gps location ie.w109.08 east49.03........ basically i want to know if i can share info between deceives or can you only text to a pre set number

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
although i have not done it from what i have read in my manual you should be able to text your co-ords to another inreach (both models). but you would have to look at your location (gps co-ords) and then enter them and text to the other in reach

EDIT..... just turned mine on and there is a share location button, so you wouldnt need to manually enter it. just hit the share and as long as you have your buds inreach in your contacts you are good to go

Have to try that.

Thanks

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the info that this is free? I couldn't find it on their website last time I looked. Thx

sorry was told this by a friend but i went back & read my info & cant find that anywhere that its free.
you can text back & forth & they can send you there location though.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

a buddy and I tested this while out hunting this fall and it does work, we were able to communicate from inreach to inreach and it showed our current locations as well.

Top Bottom