InReach Explorer or Sat Phone?

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Indy245

Reaction score
Spot phone 911 goes to GEOS.

Iridium sat phone does not.
If you only have an iridium phone with your group, keep a list of local emergency numbers

You can get an Iridium with the SOS push button so you can direct contact GEOS.

https://www.iridium.com/products/details/iridiumextreme

Do the research on the product that you are interested in and contact the manufacturer or service provider to confirm, this is one purchase that is too important to leave to opinion.

Last edited:

bkoz

Reaction score
Never seen plb before. What advantage does it have over Inreach? Think my choice would be Inreach and bca radio for best combo of safety and everyday convenience.

PLB's are the high powered version of an Inreach or Spot. It's code is registered to the government's/military rescue network (SARSAT). It's the same system that a lifeboat's or helicopter's emergency beacon would be tracked by.

Having Inreach would allow the 2 way communication and a distress call to the Iridium network and the PLB would reach the government's SARSAT network.

IMO if you could only have 1 emergency contact piece of equipment a PLB is the best. Sure there is no tracking function or 2 way communication. But it things really go sideways it's your best option to get a distress signal out.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the InReach Explorer and tried it this weekend for first time and love it, I have used the SPOT for years but haven the ability to two way text in my checks ins, the tracking feature along with mapshare, altimeter,compass. Haven the choice of contacts to send your info too is a great feature.... My girlfriend was able too see where I was all the time with the tracking map feature.... Yes the price is more than a spot but plans are cheaper and the safety features are great.... Love the fact that I don't have too have my sat phone with me in a emergency .... When you activate to sos you can text with the research parties to explain exactly what's going on...

I am a new believer in the InReach ..... Just my story ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the InReach Explorer and tried it this weekend for first time and love it, I have used the SPOT for years but haven the ability to two way text in my checks ins, the tracking feature along with mapshare, altimeter,compass. Haven the choice of contacts to send your info too is a great feature.... My girlfriend was able too see where I was all the time with the tracking map feature.... Yes the price is more than a spot but plans are cheaper and the safety features are great.... Love the fact that I don't have too have my sat phone with me in a emergency .... When you activate to sos you can text with the research parties to explain exactly what's going on...

I am a new believer in the InReach ..... Just my story ...

How do the maps/GPS work on the inReach?

Comparable to Garmin?

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much identical too the a garmin gps yes.... Same tracking, waypoints and mapping features. You can track back also ...

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
Inreach offers an optional insurance in case you have to be air-lifted out. Does anyone know if it would be necessary or does the Government cover something like that?

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyones looking for an in reach you can have this one for $100.00 pm me

Sold Thanks

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Inreach offers an optional insurance in case you have to be air-lifted out. Does anyone know if it would be necessary or does the Government cover something like that?

Rescue's in Canada are free, however if you travel to another country it is wise to get the extra insurance that is offered by Global Star who does inReach and Spot as well.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend and I each bought an Explorer, and have been playing with them at home and so far they are great. Getting a chance to test them in the mountains for the first time next week.

Dakine879

Reaction score
A friend and I each bought an Explorer, and have been playing with them at home and so far they are great. Getting a chance to test them in the mountains for the first time next week.

BEL, when you have a chance, please provide a review of the GPS capabilities of the explorer. I'd be very interested in your review.

thanks!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother picked up the spot sat phone. He called me from the mtns last weekend the clarity during that call was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowderStew

Reaction score
I have had a global star GSP1600 for over 10 years. For a while it was terrible. Now with the new satellites up and in use it is awesome. Call quality is great. This is an older model phone but it works great. I see them for sale on Kajiji in BC for as little as $150.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have the inreach explorer and really like it. I have the earthmate app on my I phone. I put the I phone on airplane mode and enable the blue tooth. Using the app you can text like a regular cell phone via the app so it will only take texts with people you are in conversation with on the devise. I sent bbtoys a text from sprit lake in Renshaw and he responded back in less than 30 seconds. We were talking back and forth testing this. Then when we were heading back to the truck we sent a text to bounce that we were in a certain area and he can meet us at the staging area, they responded and asked me if I could do something for the groomer. A guy had a broken A arm. We texted our local buddy and one was puts aside at the local shop. The navigation works great as well. I really don't see the point of any second devices as this has many features. While playing around with it I went in to the max plan to see what I would average use. I figure the plan to get would be the discover for 29.95 month. Rubbing this from 8:30 am till 6:00 pm the battery runs down to 84% in a day with moderate use. It has a battery charge indicator that counts down and tells you battery condition.

Last edited:

Dakine879

Reaction score
So the when paired with a smartphone the GPS capability of the Explorer would substitute for a traditional handheld GPS unit?

Top Bottom