InReach Explorer or Sat Phone?

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion as to which way to go, inReach Explorer or a sat phone?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better know where you are in an emergency with a sat phone.
Oh ya, and you need to know who to call.
Inreach, slide and push one button and the SAR network is activated to your location.
With inreach, you have the ability to carry on a two way text conversation with SAR dispatch as well as anyone else you have programmed into the device or your phone.
No brainer for me. Inreach for a few years now. Don't leave home without it!

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use spot beacon and sat phone together. When and if the emerg button gets pushed the sat phone number is sent to sar and can have direct contact.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inreach for me. easy to use and only one small item to carry. Love the ability to two way text and have people check in on Mapshare ans see where you are.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a spot and inreach

Inreach is nice to link and text messages

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with the Explorer since I can use it as a GPS 99% of the time but it can also call help sending them your exact location. Plus being able to let people know where you are when you want to at set intervals.

Plus the GPS works pretty good, just set the ping rate high for a nice detailed map.

Indy245

Reaction score
I have had both - a SPOT and now have an Iridium Extreme. The biggest difference between the two other than voice is cost, the SPOT type devices are much cheaper for the device and the plan. The Iridium pretty much has the same features as a SPOT type device - It has the emergency button for getting emergency crews on the way via GEOS (Same as SPOT type device), you can track the phone for people to monitor you, it has two way texting, you can view your GPS coordinates anytime and has PTT plus you have the added feature of actually talking to someone if needed.

The downside to Sat phones are the cost, the calls are often not the clearest if you don't have decent bars (move five feet and it usually clears up) and I do carry a GPS as the phone only shows coordinates.

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use spot beacon and sat phone together. When and if the emerg button gets pushed the sat phone number is sent to sar and can have direct contact.

That what I do too, nice to have backup. I also have a charger for my sat phone I can plug into my sled.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GEOS phone numbers:

EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY OR CALLS RELATED TO AN SOS ACTIVATION

Direct: +1.936.582.3190
Toll Free: +1.855.444.2937

email: iercc@geos911.com

One thing I am not quite clear on is do you need a membership with them to use this service?

Just bought a spot sat phone and wish it had an emergency button.

After reading all this not really pumped on buying a second device......

Does GEOS just dispatch local search and rescue?

Doesn't the good old fashion 911 from the sat phone work the same?

One thing I noticed on the GEOS website is that a membership comes with $50,000 - $100,000 rescue coverage. If you buy a spot does the yearly subscription include this?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right off of the spot website:

In the event of a life-threatening or critical emergency, reach out to GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center by dialing 9-1-1 in the US & Canada. With GEOS, the SPOT product family has initiated more than 2,300 rescues worldwide.

The SPOT Global Phone allows you to talk directly with a live GEOS operator to provide details on the life-threatening situation.  You will need to provide GEOS with your location.  

A SPOT Messenger device’s SOS function will alert GEOS of your location but GEOS will rely on communication with your emergency contacts for additional details that may be pertinent to coordinating a rescue.

NOTE:  If you are using your SPOT Global Phone outside of the US & Canada, the 911 service will NOT be available. Please be sure to store an emergency contact number for the country or region you are travelling in.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But if you have to provide GEOS with your location, doesn't that mean you still have to carry a GPS device of some sort? That's why I was thinking that the inReach may be a simpler way to go. The idea of being able to talk to someone in an emergency is great, but if you still need to provide them with your location you may not be able to do that?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But if you have to provide GEOS with your location, doesn't that mean you still have to carry a GPS device of some sort? That's why I was thinking that the inReach may be a simpler way to go. The idea of being able to talk to someone in an emergency is great, but if you still need to provide them with your location you may not be able to do that?
Whenever we have had go call in a helicopter for what ever reason we have always just read them the lat/lon off the gps.....

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into this spot sat phone a little closer it does appear that GEOS could probably pull your coordinates as you can personally view them from your phone.

I think that must be a typo on the accuracy.... Let's hope. Lol

uploadfromtaptalk1448497114233.jpg

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somebody really needs to come out with a GPS, SAT Phone, and 2 way radio combo!!
.... With Bluetooth ear buds.

I am pretty impressed with the Inreach. I think I would always text info and updates way more than I would use the phone. Don't get me wrong, phone would be nice but I don't think I would ever use it.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GEOS phone numbers:

EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY OR CALLS RELATED TO AN SOS ACTIVATION

Direct: +1.936.582.3190
Toll Free: +1.855.444.2937

email: iercc@geos911.com

One thing I am not quite clear on is do you need a membership with them to use this service?

Just bought a spot sat phone and wish it had an emergency button.

After reading all this not really pumped on buying a second device......

Does GEOS just dispatch local search and rescue?

Doesn't the good old fashion 911 from the sat phone work the same?

One thing I noticed on the GEOS website is that a membership comes with $50,000 - $100,000 rescue coverage. If you buy a spot does the yearly subscription include this?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I believe the rescue coverage is $7 per year on top of the annual service subscription.
When I took my AST1., we were told it's better to have beacons from different manufacturers because they all have different strengths. I would think the same applies here. 2 of us Spot units, 2 have Inreach and one has a. Sat phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spot phone 911 goes to GEOS.

Iridium sat phone does not.
If you only have an iridium phone with your group, keep a list of local emergency numbers

Top Bottom