Illegal snowmobiling at Bow Summit, Banff Nat'l Park

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
the balls to what ??????

Confirm joe publics opinion of sledders as being rogue, inconsiderate, law breaking, rednecks......

balls is standing up for a cause you believe in.... stupidity is undermining all those who continue to stand up even when azzhats make you wonder why bother......

as much as I condone, even encourage pot stirring, I think this is a situation that demands the serious side of us to ring true....

Sure the parks would offer some awesome terrain but like it or not everyone knows that OHV's are off limits inside park boundarys. to ride within a know park boundary undermines all the good work done by clubs and volunteers and we as a community need to treat it as a serious threat against a sport we all love. Newspapers will run with this and those who want to shut us down will ensure Joe public hears about it..... ironically when an organized club invests $10-15K into a staging area providing washroom facilities, fire pit and a plowed lot, the county can take the complaints of a few locals and force the club to remove thier sign informing users that an ASA membership or trailpass is required.

every walk of life has it's morons, problem is ours are loud, obnoxious and extremely fast.....

Whether it changes or not is not the issue... issue is as of right now it is not allowed and this is widely publicised yet someone within our community blatantly broke the rules which reflects poorly on us all

Teth-air, I agree it's not right, but if we want to change it there are proper avenues to follow... these events make that possibility even more unlikely and difficult to persue....

This hit a spot in your psyche! Got the fingers tapping and the brain moving!

Way to go and I agree. Maybe the PR man for our sport, with all your fancy dancy words and reasoning, is within our midst....just saying

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowmobiling in a National Park, unbelievable......:nono: What kind of Country would allow that :)

and none of the sleds we ride would be legal, I beleive they have to be 4-stroke or meet noise emmision ratings. No pipes, no cans etc.

fun times riding down the trail at 40km/hr

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
and none of the sleds we ride would be legal, I beleive they have to be 4-stroke or meet noise emmision ratings. No pipes, no cans etc.

we rode yellowstone last year with our 2-strokes, twin piped, turbos etc...
They were very welcoming... In Cooke City you can ride your sled to the grocery store or the bar as if it was your winter car....

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d
This hit a spot in your psyche! Got the fingers tapping and the brain moving!

Way to go and I agree. Maybe the PR man for our sport, with all your fancy dancy words and reasoning, is within our midst....just saying

Bogger would be a great PR man for our sport. Only thing is when Bogger makes a speech in public we would have to do like they did with Peter Lougheed and hide a small stool behind the podium for him to stand on to make him look bigger. Okay from now on no more picking on short guys.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Allowing sleds in National Parks? What next? Quads? Dirt Bikes? Any other OHV?

Be it whoever decided to ride there was in the wrong and if they are caught will be dealt with however the Parks people decide to deal with them.

But to argue that there should be motorized vehicles allowed in parks? Come on, give your heads a shake. Most OHV operators are responsible, but how many don't respect the areas they ride in now as it is? We can't police our own already.

I spilt my passions between motorized and "greener" activities. I am far from the yuppy tree hugging type that wants to close areas for OHV as I love anything to do with twisting a throttle. The flip side of it is there are many areas I never want to see people with quads getting into. I spend time hiking into these areas for the simple fact you can't ride into them. I was very disapointed last year to see that quads and bikes had made it into an area in BC last summer that was classed non-motorized. Once a footpath was turned into a 4 foot wide hiway.

Yes you could argue that sledding is less destructive and doesn't impact remote areas as much as other propelled vehicles but where do you draw the line?

If you want to argue there should be more areas classed for OHV use thats great, give us more riding areas, but to have a blanket statement suggesting vehicles be ridden in Parks is just as asinine as the greenies wanting to outlaw anything with a motor.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gapper boy strikes again... (the gap between alberta and manitoba)

As a dude from Saskatchewan, I take offense to that. Manitoba is even more of a 'in between the places of interest and important' province than SK.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

not true, you can ride our sleds in the Teton national forest. At least that is what I saw today while I drove through it.

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't understand the need to ride in a park? there's places we're allowed to go, better than parks. and you won't have the 5-0 on your a$$. the parks are NON motorized for a reason. it's not a law you can "bend".i hope when they brag to their buddies they get turned in. it's people like this that are gonna make the government bring in tougher laws on us. :(

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are the fines for being in a national park?? there was a posting awhile back on closed off areas but i would imagine this is diffrent

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mandate of Parks Canada is to protect the parks and the Canadian heritage. In my opinion snowmobiling is part of our Canadian heritage. How is Parks Canada protecting snowmobiling? And this may give sledders a bad image but really there should be places in OUR parks for sleds when there are places for skiers, towns, highways, railroad tracks etc.

We should all be working to make sledding in the parks possible, not just rolling over and think that it is such holy land we should just pass it by.

There should be designated areas in the park. Lets start the petition and see how many we get.:d

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mandate of Parks Canada is to protect the parks and the Canadian heritage. In my opinion snowmobiling is part of our Canadian heritage. How is Parks Canada protecting snowmobiling? And this may give sledders a bad image but really there should be places in OUR parks for sleds when there are places for skiers, towns, highways, railroad tracks etc.

We should all be working to make sledding in the parks possible, not just rolling over and think that it is such holy land we should just pass it by.

after all do the parks not belong to the people of Canada:rolleyes: and does not the Government work for the people of Canada:rolleyes:

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We already have issues with peeps riding in closures in the areas we currently ride. There would be closures that surround the riding area in a park if they allowed us in there. All it would take is one guy to ruin it for everyone by riding in one of these closures. We need to work on the some of the black eyes we currently have in some areas. Just my :twocents:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after all do the parks not belong to the people of Canada:rolleyes: and does not the Government work for the people of Canada:rolleyes:

What's your point? Anyone should be able to do anything they want on all Crown land? Including parks?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be alot of unclear info here and people jumping the gun and expecting the worst. If your accompanyed by a park warden you can ride in the park, I know guys that have done this. I dont know if this made the news and if the RC's are searching for this truck, just commenting on what I just read.

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
As a dude from Saskatchewan, I take offense to that. Manitoba is even more of a 'in between the places of interest and important' province than SK.

As a dude from Manitoba, I take offence to that, Ontario is even MORE of a "in between the places of interested and important province than MB:p

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't understand the need to ride in a park? there's places we're allowed to go, better than parks. and you won't have the 5-0 on your a$$. the parks are NON motorized for a reason. it's not a law you can "bend".i hope when they brag to their buddies they get turned in. it's people like this that are gonna make the government bring in tougher laws on us. :(

yes but if they opened up some of bow summit and that area we from alberta whould not go as far as b/c to mountain ride..... thats y it would be nice...

just think for the bow lodge.... could be a max cap of like 100 guys a week....
would be good for the lodge it allready there... would be the same idea as chatter creek...

Top Bottom