Hurts so Good!!

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I have an addiction: running. I am a long distance runner and it's something I do for pure enjoyment. (Those in the line-up of quads sitting at the top of the road into Outwest RV Park at Jamboree who saw me run up the hill and puke right in from of them might not agree that it's truly enjoyable). Anyway, I digress...

For the last few months I have struggled with my runs bcz my back and hips are quite screwed up. After I run about 30-40mins, my femur feels like it is going to snap off in the hip socket. All the stretching, massage, ice, advil and reset techniques in the world don't help. So, I stumbled upon a new pair of shoes:

I know! I know! They are terribly ugly BUUUUUUUT they have revolutioniZed my running stride. A woman actually stopped me in the gym the other day to tell me what a pleasure it was to watch me run so effortlessly.

They force you to strengthen your supporting muscles, take away the heel impact and force you to run more on the front/mid part of the foot. It takes some time to get used to and build those new muscles... Anyway, after taking a while to work my way into the shoe and wearing them for longer and longer periods each time, I finally did a full interval sprint run in them.

45 minutes of awesomeness and then I step off the treadmill----- holy chit!! I've got blisters on the undersides/pads of many of my toes. The ones on my big toes are quarter sized and deep: I can see blood under them. Yowza. And they hurt. Yes. They hurt. I walk there !!

I will never be able to do a marathon or half marathon in them if this continues. But I don't want to run in regular shoes again because I'm running pain free.

I like the shoes too much to give up wearing them. Soooooooooo, how do I prevent the blisters or work thru them until I get callouses there??? Ive had blisters before, but never on my toe pads and never to this depth... Anyone on here a runner? Tried these shoes? Or even if someone has some blister prevention suggestions???

Help!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my legs,hips, and back.........but if I were to wear shoes like that I might get my A$$ kicked lol.......plus a little cold for sledding lol........might have to wear some safety socks at work to! lol.....as for the pain of running or in my case just walking I got some good drugs! lol

isnt there a band-aid stick-on thing that works on blisters? put them on before you get a blister to prevent them??? just my 2 cents but im not a nurse or a doc! lol

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got some good drugs! lol

Smoke, snort, swallow all you want, but don't you dare haul a loaded sled deck on a 1/2 tonne!

Those shoes look nice for body compound lifts, do they come in guys and how much were they?

**On-Topic**
My skates give my big toe and heel blisters, I duct tape them.

Last edited:

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't brought myself to try those shoes, and only one guy I know uses them for cross fit workouts, but he has always been very metro-sexual. The ladies that I know using them restrict their use. The alternate with regular shoes and never do long runs in those. I talked with a friend in the gym yesturday about them, and she is a 5 time iron man racer, qualifying for Kona every time. She said they are great for training intervals and cross fit, but she never uses them for distance as is it too hard on her.

Good luck. The best blister treatment is no rubbing, so maybe a tighter shoe? Try powder like gold bonds or even baby poweder, some people swear by that.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smoke, snort, swallow all you want, but don't you dare haul a loaded sled deck on a 1/2 tonne!

Those shoes look nice for body compound lifts, do they come in guys and how much were they?

**On-Topic**

ya the guys shoes are pink! lol no half ton any more! got the new to me 3/4 with box removed and custom alum deck built! as for the drugs they are all legal ones! lol

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this may sound weird but a buddy of mine has done a couple iron mans and say's he uses vasoline in his shoes when he trains and races....Or maybe he was pulling a fast one on me see if I'll believe anything.:d...next best answer Segway!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, quit running perhaps :p doesn't sound worth it...

Don't they make these most excellent shoes for marathoning in a running shoe??? They do the same kinda thing for your body position that these very fashionable ones you are wearing do...but in a running shoe versus a funky toe shoe thingy LOL...?? Can you tell I'm a marathoner too....ahhahahahahaah. ;)

You and Mo Potato need to hook up for a run...:cool:

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They'd have to be awfully thin... Hard to find but worth a try if it helped. I'm willing to give it a whirl...

Stop at the running room in Edmonton South common. They have their own thin sock that I use. Might be thin enough, if not they might have some other ideas.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another board I go to regularly has a fitness section on it as alot of guys are or were military. They started talking about those shoes and how well they work for alot of people. The main point they make is to start slow with them. Eventually your feet will build up.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I have an addiction: running. I am a long distance runner and it's something I do for pure enjoyment. (Those in the line-up of quads sitting at the top of the road into Outwest RV Park at Jamboree who saw me run up the hill and puke right in from of them might not agree that it's truly enjoyable). Anyway, I digress...

For the last few months I have struggled with my runs bcz my back and hips are quite screwed up. After I run about 30-40mins, my femur feels like it is going to snap off in the hip socket. All the stretching, massage, ice, advil and reset techniques in the world don't help. So, I stumbled upon a new pair of shoes:

I know! I know! They are terribly ugly BUUUUUUUT they have revolutioniZed my running stride. A woman actually stopped me in the gym the other day to tell me what a pleasure it was to watch me run so effortlessly.

They force you to strengthen your supporting muscles, take away the heel impact and force you to run more on the front/mid part of the foot. It takes some time to get used to and build those new muscles... Anyway, after taking a while to work my way into the shoe and wearing them for longer and longer periods each time, I finally did a full interval sprint run in them.

45 minutes of awesomeness and then I step off the treadmill----- holy chit!! I've got blisters on the undersides/pads of many of my toes. The ones on my big toes are quarter sized and deep: I can see blood under them. Yowza. And they hurt. Yes. They hurt. I walk there !!

I will never be able to do a marathon or half marathon in them if this continues. But I don't want to run in regular shoes again because I'm running pain free.

I like the shoes too much to give up wearing them. Soooooooooo, how do I prevent the blisters or work thru them until I get callouses there??? Ive had blisters before, but never on my toe pads and never to this depth... Anyone on here a runner? Tried these shoes? Or even if someone has some blister prevention suggestions???

Help!

Holy crap Richelle, did you cut those off the bottom of a sleeper?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

**On-Topic**

Apparently they are popular for weightlifters and the yoga crowd. Also used alot for water sports and bouldering. They do make them for men- my husband also has a pair that he is working in. You can order them from Mountain Equipment Co-op or visit the Vibram FiveFingers website to find a dealer that is closer to you. You have to be sized or they won't fit properly and BEWARE there are lots of counterfeits out there if you try to buy off the internet. They cost about $85... cheaper than a good running shoe.

Most of the new running research is leaning toward a "minimalist" shoe. Merrell has bought Vibram's patent and will be expanding the line. Expect to see some new ideas and options if you can hold on until the spring. Nike is also working on them, and has a lightened shoe called the "free run" that they launched a couple seasons ago but never really caught on. Adidas will also be coming out with something in this arena.

The duct tape sounds like a great idea. I will give it a go!!

I haven't brought myself to try those shoes, and only one guy I know uses them for cross fit workouts, but he has always been very metro-sexual. The ladies that I know using them restrict their use. The alternate with regular shoes and never do long runs in those. I talked with a friend in the gym yesturday about them, and she is a 5 time iron man racer, qualifying for Kona every time. She said they are great for training intervals and cross fit, but she never uses them for distance as is it too hard on her.

That is disappointing to hear- I really had high hopes for my long distance running. :(

Good luck. The best blister treatment is no rubbing, so maybe a tighter shoe? Try powder like gold bonds or even baby poweder, some people swear by that.

I Like the baby powder idea: I might try some moleskin on my toes and then add baby powder to the shoes. If it didn't work out, at least my feet would smell sweet :cool:

I thought sledmamma was a nurse! that was the funny there!

I am not a nurse. I am a respiratory therapist. I do Airway and Breathing when you have none of your own... but I do not do poop! ;)

Well this may sound weird but a buddy of mine has done a couple iron mans and say's he uses vasoline in his shoes when he trains and races....Or maybe he was pulling a fast one on me see if I'll believe anything.:d...next best answer Segway!

Thinking that might be kinda hard to clean out of the toes if it didnt work for me... yick. I can see it working though... /COLOR]

Hmmmm, quit running perhaps :p doesn't sound worth it...

Thats not going to happen. Ever. How will I keep my girlish figure :eek:

Don't they make these most excellent shoes for marathoning in a running shoe??? They do the same kinda thing for your body position that these very fashionable ones you are wearing do...but in a running shoe versus a funky toe shoe thingy LOL...?? Can you tell I'm a marathoner too....ahhahahahahaah. ;)

Your marathoning expertise is definitely showing thru!! :eek: Nike and Adidas have a lightened shoe, but they still have a way built up heel that won't let you run in the forward position...

You and Mo Potato need to hook up for a run...:cool:

Stop at the running room in Edmonton South common. They have their own thin sock that I use. Might be thin enough, if not they might have some other ideas.

Worth a try for sure!

Another board I go to regularly has a fitness section on it as alot of guys are or were military. They started talking about those shoes and how well they work for alot of people. The main point they make is to start slow with them. Eventually your feet will build up.

I thought I did go slow enough :mad:

Holy crap Richelle, did you cut those off the bottom of a sleeper?

Sure did... Pam lent me a pair of yours :eek:

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Apparently they are popular for weightlifters and the yoga crowd. Also used alot for water sports and bouldering. They do make them for men- my husband also has a pair that he is working in. You can order them from Mountain Equipment Co-op or visit the Vibram FiveFingers website to find a dealer that is closer to you. You have to be sized or they won't fit properly and BEWARE there are lots of counterfeits out there if you try to buy off the internet. They cost about $85... cheaper than a good running shoe.

Most of the new running research is leaning toward a "minimalist" shoe. Merrell has bought Vibram's patent and will be expanding the line. Expect to see some new ideas and options if you can hold on until the spring. Nike is also working on them, and has a lightened shoe called the "free run" that they launched a couple seasons ago but never really caught on. Adidas will also be coming out with something in this arena.

The duct tape sounds like a great idea. I will give it a go!!

I Like the baby powder idea: I might try some moleskin on my toes and then add baby powder to the shoes. If it didn't work out, at least my feet would smell sweet :cool:

I am not a nurse. I am a respiratory therapist. I do Airway and Breathing when you have none of your own... but I do not do poop! ;)

Thinking that might be kinda hard to clean out of the toes if it didnt work for me... yick. I can see it working though... /COLOR]

Worth a try for sure!

I thought I did go slow enough :mad:

Sure did... Pam lent me a pair of yours :eek:

Nice multi quote work Mama!!LOL

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it just means I spend too much time on S&M

Top Bottom