hst in bc

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
then that brings you back to the PST system, where the merchant will start increasing the price of the merchandise to pass on his 6% share to you... and the more middle men it goes through, the higher the price will get.

bingo we have a winner! since hst, what prices have you seen drop? business are saving money right?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bingo we have a winner! since hst, what prices have you seen drop? business are saving money right?

I have seen some of my dealer prices drop this spring and have since lowered my retail price accordingly. The thing that a person has to also keep in mind is the fact of how much the coast of fuel has risin at the same time as the taxes should've came down and the two are somewhat offsetting each other. Another question is why when we pull so much oil out of the ground in canada(AB mainly) is the price of fuel so high here in canada???

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to a tax calculator on the govt's website to caompare two tax system to new hst system.

Thanks for the link, but those who need to read it, won't ;)

Scary how completely uninformed people have such a strong opinion on somthing they know nothing about ;)

So i have to pay 60k in taxes??? What if i gotta move twice in a year or even in two? 120k in taxes??? Fn ridiculous. Where does this kimda cash go??

$120,000 tax on houses in one year, hahah what a baller, big spender :rolleyes:

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen some of my dealer prices drop this spring and have since lowered my retail price accordingly. The thing that a person has to also keep in mind is the fact of how much the coast of fuel has risin at the same time as the taxes should've came down and the two are somewhat offsetting each other. Another question is why when we pull so much oil out of the ground in canada(AB mainly) is the price of fuel so high here in canada???

because were part of opec. since oils traded on the open market we pay for it like everyone else. another factor then. the canadian dollars at a high right now. last yr when it was .95 cents. oil was way over a 100 bucks a barrel. now that oils trading under 100 bucks and the dollars at 1.05 why havent freight cost and other costs fallen? why is there still fuel surcharges? its called greed.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theoretically. i haven't been to BC since the HST was implemented so i really can't comment on what i've seen drop as i haven't

because were part of opec. since oils traded on the open market we pay for it like everyone else. another factor then. the canadian dollars at a high right now. last yr when it was .95 cents. oil was way over a 100 bucks a barrel. now that oils trading under 100 bucks and the dollars at 1.05 why havent freight cost and other costs fallen? why is there still fuel surcharges? its called greed.

Corporations and companies have a legal obligation to keep the shareholders happy and raising their stock value, how do you do that, record higher and higher profits. and when you are suddenly buying things at a lower price and selling it at the same price as before, increasing your margins for profit, everybody's happy.... its a jackpot really

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prices are set by the laws of supply and demand. If you have 2 companies selling similar widgets, one company determines it wants a higher market share, they tend to lower their priced a bit to try and accomplish this. The theory goes that if business's are offered a tax break, some companies will use the savings to acquire more market share. Thus by them lowering their prices, they force their competitors to do the same.

The government cant legislate that all business's drop their prices, they can only try to help create a market place where this is possible.

(except oil it seems, they just screw us and screw us.)

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok. I understand that it goes with opec. But i've been told that in places like dubai they have oil right there and refine it there, and also sell it to the local people there for like .40/L or something like that. Crazy how they give the people in there own country a break on what comes out of the ground in there own country rather than gouging there own people.

Burns

Reaction score
You also have to consider the tax involved in the price of gas. Canadian average is 25cents/l. Alberta is 20cents and bc is 31cents. The crack spread determines what the refineries make - this is the difference in the cost of oil and the price at the pump for refined products - this is usually around 10% but can vary from 5-20% pending on supply and demand as well as what the market will bear. Then the retailer has to make their cut as well as the wholesalers and transport.

Bottom line - places like Duai don't tax there gas therfore they get the "real cost" of gas.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$120,000 tax on houses in one year, hahah what a baller, big spender :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Didnt say i was spending that, it was an "IF" goof. Read it again or if u cant read get somebody who can handle ur condesending sarcastic self to read it to u, then maybe youll understand what i was saying.

But u got one thing right i am a baller, and dont forget shot caller next time ;)

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the union 19 years never again

I lasted 3 years in the union and that was way too long for my liking. They actually gave me a long winded speech to slow my work speed down compared to the private sector as this is the only way our jobs are secured.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lasted 3 years in the union and that was way too long for my liking. They actually gave me a long winded speech to slow my work speed down compared to the private sector as this is the only way our jobs are secured.
the union I was in Had The SPINE of a JELLYFISH

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you like the HST then? Not saying good or bad, just asking.

if you are asking my opinion I agree with the HST. So many countries all over the world use it (I heard over 145 countries) in the form of VAT tax so cant be that bad. Any time we can eliminate levels of government to make it stream line has my vote. Yes there are good / bad for both sides but I think the HST sale to the people started off on a bad foot with the way the liberals introduced it and people cant get over that fact.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the union I was in Had The SPINE of a JELLYFISH

hahaha. I think they all have that! I have said in the past that unions back in the turn of the century served a valuable purpose but they are outdated and archaic now with the labour laws being so tough as they are now.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMHO, the HST is fine. I don't like all the extra taxables they added from the PST days; restaurant meals in particular. Sure nice to go south/east
and have a nice meal and a couple of ales without breaking the bank.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt say i was spending that, it was an "IF" goof. Read it again or if u cant read get somebody who can handle ur condesending sarcastic self to read it to u, then maybe youll understand what i was saying.

But u got one thing right i am a baller, and dont forget shot caller next time ;)

I seriously doubt you are spending enough money ($2.8 million) per year on real estate to pay $120,000 HST. The "IF" point of view is just a childish way of entering a discussion, and don't call anyone on this board a goof, keep talking to the mirror if you want to talk tough.

Last edited:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt you are spending enough money ($2.8 million) per year on real estate to pay $120,000 HST. The "IF" point of view is just a childish way of entering a discussion, and don't call anyone on this board a goof, keep talking to the mirror if you want to talk tough.
With that response it is now obvious that u cant read and have nobody kind enough to read my posts to you. Does clown work for u then? Cause youve been tryin to get a rise with all ur goof like quotes and responses just because u disagree with MY opinion.

Top Bottom