how to get more power out of my quad?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good advice for general riding, but in the raceing game the fastest way a round a corner is to stay on the thottle and slip the clutch, we do mostly second gear starts and when the gate dropes you dump the clutch with your backside down to keep weight on the rear wheels and your head and shoulders forward to keep the front end down, you barley take pressure off the clutch , shift gears and get back on the thottle....

Abuse the clutch, you bet......it's the fastest way around the track.....oh and we changeand inspect the oil after every race any signs of problems and we change the clutch plates.....we will completely overhaul the clutch twice a season, mostly as preventive maintence....

Back when I had my yfz I could make good time around the track being nice to the clutch, but in turns feathering it and popping it deffinately saved a few seconds.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when I had my yfz I could make good time around the track being nice to the clutch, but in turns feathering it and popping it deffinately saved a few seconds.

Sent from my white iPhone 4[/QUOTE"

Hence why I stated for general riding it dosent matter if you arrive a few seconds later, in a race a few seconds can mean arriving behind instead of in front.

We look to shave a second or two per lap in order to make a pass or finish ahead of the next guy, so you play with different cornering, clutching and riding techneques to gain that small advantage.....do you fly over the big triple or double and single out, inside corner or out to the berm, skip over the top of whoops and jump out, it's risky but it's fast.....had the opportunity to ask a top level US pro a riding question some of these and the answer was...there is no right or wrong answer, depends on if your infront allone or in front defending a line or trying to pass....When passing the answer is ride where ever the guy infront of you isn't and go faster than him.....

Watched Jasmin Plante(top Canadian Pro quad racer) in a race get a terrible start and we had to guys (there fisrt pro national race) hold him off for two laps until Jasmin passed them taking the top of a tight berm to the point that his outside rear wheel was off the top of the berm.....they didnt see it coming as there shouldnt have been room there for him....so we asked him if he'd practiced that line before....nope....what made you decide to to try it....I was behind going into the corner and wanted to be in front, I fiqured if it works I'll be in front, if not I'll till behind, nothing to loose and lots to gain......pin it and go.

Joe Byrd answered this question.....how do you learn to take cirners as fast as possible......" Thats easy in practice go as fast as you think you can, then keep increasing your speed each try until you fly off the corner....then in a race go just a wee bit slower....."

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I read the Byrd interview in dirtwheels.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try em out and see what you think. Research them and flip through magazines containing shootouts between the two, and make your decision based upon that. I'm sure a few users tried these quads and will chime in.

Top Bottom