how to get more power out of my quad?

heyhey

Reaction score
I am looking for more power but I am not sure if I am ready to go to a utility quad yet.Not sure if it would be more worth it for me to just upgrade the quad I have now.I have a 2008 power max 150.Let me know if you think it would be worth trying to get better performance out of what I have or to just buy a whole new bike.I will be doing mostly trail riding but I do like mudding alot and I'm only 14 so I'm not that big thats why I was worried about getting a utility quad because of the size.

that is what I have now
PowerMax Motorsport - ATVs, Dirt Bikes

amcf18

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend any money trying to boost power.. Time to look for something a bit bigger..300, 350 or 400 sport , if you want to stay away from utility, even a 250 honda fourtrax is a good machine,if it fits you..

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a 400 ex ,cheap to buy and tons of them out there at a decent price. Super reliable, and easy to ride. If my 11 year old can ride it you can ride one too.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
burn that pos, as it is a throw away bike, sell it and get a bigger unit.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt there is anything available for off brand bikes. Chances are you can't even get replacement parts. When I was your age I rode a Suzuki LT-Z 400 for sport and a Foreman500 Honda for mud. These will fit you fine wit Which either route you want to go. Just NEVER EVER EVER get another off brand quad again.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

heyhey

Reaction score
I want something automatic,I know every one thinks auto is soft but I guess I'm soft then.Any good quads that are auto and actually pretty good for me ?

looneyrod27

Reaction score
I would prolly look into a 400 ex like frenchman said. Or you could go with something like a yamaha wolverine. They are automatic and have a sport styled suspension. They are 4x4 on demand so you can switch to 2wd drive for trails and go to 4x4 for the mud.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 for the wolverine if you don't like to shift.

To be honest though. I've been riding automatics for a year. And I been riding manual for about 12 years. Once you get used to shifting you often forget your even doing it. I don't mind auto on my quad or truck now but I always like to shift.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If theres physical reason to stay auto then stay if not, take the opportunity to learn how to shift, it will make a better driver out of you and opens the doors to a whole bunch of different machines and brands.

If you can find a friend to teach you and let you drive thier machine( if the machine size is appropreate for you). Shifting makes you think about what the machine is doing and what gear your in to go up a hill or down a hill safetly. It keeps you focused on what is important ie watching the trail and being in the right gear vs the auto that does that for you... You have already learnt how to steer a quad and are looking for something more.....just some food for thought....there are other options ...ie there are some good semi auto quads on the market....you still shift just no clutch lever.....you can also add that to most of the popular shifing quads....check out www.rekluse.ca

Have fun ride safe....wear the gear.....

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't skimp on Properly clutching too. Shift it like it's a car. Dont feather it where ever you go, don't drop the clutch too hard... They get expensive of you abuse a clutch.

All my racequads never seen an aftermarket clutch or replacement plates.

heyhey

Reaction score
I've ridden semi auto before and I just prefer full auto I don't know why.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden semi auto before and I just prefer full auto I don't know why.

When I was younger I likes auto for the ease of use. My brother taught me that you can do more with manual. As previously stated it opens more doors. You also learn to feel the bike better te better you are wit a manual.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the wolverine would be a good choice, staying away from shifting definately limits you on the sport side.
If I were you I would try shifting, at first may seem like a nuisance but in many cases i think it can make for a fun ride.
If you could go to manual the already stated Lt400, I dont have much experience with the Raptor 350 but there seems to be a few for sae on kijiji.
If you had a price range more suggestions could be made.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if I buy used I was thinking about $3000

Raptor 350 and or a Z400 in need of tlc (2003-2004) would be in your price range. The 350 will usually be in better shape if they are going for 3k.

Have you thought about going to site?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're from, but I have a descent little 2003 LTZ 400 with a few goodies (full FMF exhaust, K&N, etc), I'd let you have it for $1800. It has a bit of a valve tick, but it starts good and runs strong.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're from, but I have a descent little 2003 LTZ 400 with a few goodies (full FMF exhaust, K&N, etc), I'd let you have it for $1800. It has a bit of a valve tick, but it starts good and runs strong.

Heck, I'd probably be interested in that Z if your letting it go for that price.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't skimp on Properly clutching too. Shift it like it's a car. Dont feather it where ever you go, don't drop the clutch too hard... They get expensive of you abuse a clutch.

All my racequads never seen an aftermarket clutch or replacement plates.

Good advice for general riding, but in the raceing game the fastest way a round a corner is to stay on the thottle and slip the clutch, we do mostly second gear starts and when the gate dropes you dump the clutch with your backside down to keep weight on the rear wheels and your head and shoulders forward to keep the front end down, you barley take pressure off the clutch , shift gears and get back on the thottle....

Abuse the clutch, you bet......it's the fastest way around the track.....oh and we changeand inspect the oil after every race any signs of problems and we change the clutch plates.....we will completely overhaul the clutch twice a season, mostly as preventive maintence....

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Common 4 stroke issue, it's an easy fix....just need to re shim the valves.....more than likley it's just out a bit, we check them regulary as preventive maintence.

Top Bottom