honda 2000 generator

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2003 holiday trailer with a/c. Does anyone know if this generator will run the a/c?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit or miss, one wouldn't run my friends AC, but it would run others. You are right on the edge so any extra load like from the inverter etc could trip it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need the 3000 for the AC. You'll overwork the 2000.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the hard start capacitor that draws a ton of power. Once the A/C is running it might be OK, depending on the A/C unit. I have rarely seen a 2000 manage RV A/C units well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might run it but on a hot day it will work the sh!t out of the generator! Best to get the 3000 or bigger. That way you can run the ac and other stuff at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 1996 26' sportsman fifth wheel, the 2000 honda would start the A/C if I put the switch on low with no other draw. once it started you could switch it to high. there is a soft start kit you can get to help with this issue, but as suggested the 3000w is the way to go albeit a lot more expensive

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 3000 is a lot less portable too. I have a 2200 that runs my AC just fine once it starts it. It bogs a bit on the start but a soft start capacitor would fix that.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's the truth. it's about all I can do to load my honda 3000 in and out of the back of the pickup myself. glad I don't have to do that anymore

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the Yamaha 2400 inverter because all the 2K generators won't start an AC unit. My Yamaha easily starts the AC and it's still a manageable size for one guy to handle. Nice and quiet and easy on fuel.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the post above said if you do not want to lift the Honda 3000 go with the Yamaha 2400 or 2800. The other option is to get the Honda 2000 companion and a second Honda 2000 and run them in parallel.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Honda companion set up is not available in Canada in the 2000. Only on the 1000. Apparently it is illegal here according to the dealer. It is a great set up and next trip down I might pick a couple up.
Another option is the 3000 with no electric start and they have reduced the weight down into the 70lb range I believe. Catering to the camping crowd. It is pricey though at close to $2400

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Honda companion set up is not available in Canada in the 2000. Only on the 1000. Apparently it is illegal here according to the dealer. It is a great set up and next trip down I might pick a couple up.
Another option is the 3000 with no electric start and they have reduced the weight down into the 70lb range I believe. Catering to the camping crowd. It is pricey though at close to $2400

I brought a set of honda 2000 companions up here and love them. They work really well, not sure why they feel they should be illegal.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pro am Motorsports gave me the info and they are not available. Where did you get yours?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 2000 Honda and I have a northern light camper with the cuby hole that the honda fits perfectly in. I am also a refrigeration Mechanic so A/C is my trade. Your 2000 should run your A/C just fine if a few things go your way #! if your A/C units capacity is 18,000 BTUs or less # 2 you run no other electrical appliances beyoned a light or two. #3 The cord from you RV should plug directly in your Gen set thru a good tight fitting adapter. #4 do not use the econo mode on your gen set (Leave it tacked up steady) #5 On initial start up turn the Thermal stat as warm as it will go then turn the unit on to cool then turn the thermal stat down to the temperature that you want. There by eliminating bringing on the fan and the compressor together.

There is a fan motor and a compressor motor in you A/C unit both have a start current (Lock Rotor Current) 5 to 6 times the run load current so it is important to start them separately hence turning the thermal stat down after the fan is running. If your RV is new the A/C compressor could be a little tight and cause the gen set breaker to trip. It is similar to most moving equipment they tend to break in after a while. Depending on your A/C and the ambient temperature you may not have to observe any or all of the above procedures but they will be a little easier on the Gen Set and the A/C

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A hard start kit will help. It is basically a "jump start" for the compressor. A charge is stored in the capacitor for starting purposes.

Top Bottom