Home furnace problems

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good because oil in your skin can foul that thing just like a halogen bulb
so as stated this system is called flame rectification and that happens through the ignition module it changes an a/c into a d/c and back into a/c through the pilot flame and this happens in a split second it will be a grey or white box about 2&1/2 times bigger than a deck of cards and will have 6 to 10 wires running to it you will recognize it by what's marked where the wires go

it will marks like 24 v , 24 v grd ,th,tr, brn grd
also marks like MV,PV,
This little brain tells the pilot valve to open and once it figures out its safe tells the main valve to open in other words it proves the pilot is established before it will open the main valve to the burners

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would I check to see if it as a good ground , I called the customer service in the states and all that guy kept saying is that it's prob a poor ground , when I took out the igniter there was a bunch of black soot in side the heater and around the end of the plate that covers the igniter

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it could be the ignition mod has a problem should replace with same if you can makes swap out easy but can be replaced with a universal module Honeywell makes I believe the # is s 1086 u but its been a while since I have bought one
(remember I have been teaching for the last 12years) just remember when you replace has to be for a hot surface ignition system not direct spark I think this is probably the problem based on our chat and your descriptions as I first said this is pretty hard to trouble shoot on the Internet in person and live makes Life easier
hope this helped send me a pm and let me know how you make out

Last edited:

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes ground is important frame ground so where the igniter is ie the bracket it sits in
and 24v ground back to ignition module

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I will thanks for the help , again I appreciate all the info hopefully we meet up on the hill this winter I'll buy you a few drinks :)

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. It was the flame detector ( rod). It should be on the opposite end of the bank of burners from the igniter. I pulled mine out and it was all sooted up and would not detect that the burners were on. I cleaned it up and has been good since. (2 years). Worth a try for sure. It had two wires running to it from a plug in the harness and was held on to the burner bank with a couple of screws, with the detector extending into the burner area. HTH

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine don't have that rod , I got electronic ignition with sencer built in to the igniter but got it fixed now it was the mother board thanks for everyone's help

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe my furnace is an original 30 yr. old Clare nat gas, I can't find a date of manufacture on it. The motor/fan assembly doesn't look like it slides out like other units I've seen. The motor doesn't have any obvious oil ports.

Is it possible this furnace is maintenance free ? Well other than filters.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with furnaces is maintenance free my friend even with the old stuff which in most cases lasts longer than the new stuff
no maintenance means no heat when you need it

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well OK, how do I service a blower and motor without a slide out or oil ports for either ?

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My furnace was doing the same thing last night, good thing I read this tread, cleaned the rod and seems to have fixed the problem. Was lighting but as soon as the blower would kick in the burners would go out, (most of the time). Orange LED flashed low flame.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any furnace techs that knows wiring ? I need help

Call Alliance heating in Spruce Grove. They will send somebody out to check it. Think of this, if you had a fire or something and insurance found out you fixed your own furnace it may not be covered. Just food for thought. Cold season is upon us, good to have things tip top. jmo

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well OK, how do I service a blower and motor without a slide out or oil ports for either ?

Blower probably on a Bolted frame instead of pull out if motor direct drive will come out with blower if belt drive will be seperate
no oil ports means sealed but not really do you run fan continuosly or only when furnace is firing remove same and blow out w/compressed air

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My furnace was doing the same thing last night, good thing I read this tread, cleaned the rod and seems to have fixed the problem. Was lighting but as soon as the blower would kick in the burners would go out, (most of the time). Orange LED flashed low flame.
your welcome

Top Bottom