2024 Chev/GM in box wiring for sled deck problems

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you feeding clearance lights power to your sled deck on these new GM trucks? When I plug my deck (2-prong), which wouldn't matter if it was flat 4, into the flat 4 in the truck box, the clearance lights work awesome. Except my truck signal lights now flash rapidly. If I choose accessory in the trailer app, it then fixes the problem and signal lights work as expected....until you shut the truck off and restart it. Then, even though it is still set on "Accessory/no trailer" the signal lights flash rapidly again until I unplug and plug the deck back in. Then it works.

Solutions? Just tap into the taillight wiring? Or is there an adapter that gives some resistance to the left and right signals so it thinks there is a trailer?

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went thru this. Tap into one of the marker lights for the rear wheel well moldings, they are on a relay with a 10A fuse. So no current sensing triggering any BS, such as turning off rear cross traffic camera's.

2024's are different than the 2023's

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went thru this. Tap into one of the marker lights for the rear wheel well moldings, they are on a relay with a 10A fuse. So no current sensing triggering any BS, such as turning off rear cross traffic camera's.

2024's are different than the 2023's
I would do that, but I have a Chev and it doesn't have marker lights on the fenders. I think just the GMC's do.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do that, but I have a Chev and it doesn't have marker lights on the fenders. I think just the GMC's do.
I found a wiring diagram online, these 2024's are very different. Maybe try & search that for your model & find what running lights are controlled by that relay & only running lights. I had originally planned to tap the license plate light, it's not on that relay.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to raven and get the wiring harness for the plutco tailgate lightbar. Its plug and play and it was the fix for my 2021 GM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to raven and get the wiring harness for the plutco tailgate lightbar. Its plug and play and it was the fix for my 2021 GM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did see that. Not sure why or how it works as it look like it taps into the wiring harness feeding the trailer plug. It is $115 for a wire harness.....

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did see that. Not sure why or how it works as it look like it taps into the wiring harness feeding the trailer plug. It is $115 for a wire harness.....

Simple, unplug the factory wiring harness for each taillight and plug it into the factory plugs. Way better than splicing wires without weather tight connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you decide to try that maybe give Putco a call & be sure it will work. I called them when I ran into the problem & they were the guys telling me the 2024's are different. More computers, different cameras etc.....smarter trailering.......not so sure :)

You could give Marlon a ring, they work with Putco for their lights.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you decide to try that maybe give Putco a call & be sure it will work. I called them when I ran into the problem & they were the guys telling me the 2024's are different. More computers, different cameras etc.....smarter trailering.......not so sure :)

You could give Marlon a ring, they work with Putco for their lights.

The website says it works for 2024’s. What problem did you have with the have with the harness on your 2024? The harness bypasses all of the cameras and the trailering app.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The website says it works for 2024’s. What problem did you have with the have with the harness on your 2024? The harness bypasses all of the cameras and the trailering app.

I never tried, Putco said the connecters were different.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found my solution. I tapped into the tail light. Very easy. The Putco seems like a good idea, but the connector is still under your truck and then you need to run a wire up between your tailgate to the deck. I didn't want that, as I seal my tailgate all around for the summer/box cover and didn't want to have to tie this 3' cable back up under the truck or deal with a connection covered in snot. Keep all the wiring inside the tail light/box housing and come up through the pocket.

If anyone cares, I can type of what wire, etc. Heck, if you live in the lower mainland, come over and I'll do it for you.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you have no wiring issues. Gm will void the warranty.
I used two wire bilden and bought a trailer connector that plugged into the putco 4 pin, and ran it up through the stake pocket and in the bed from a hole I found. Nice and neat and tidy.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you have no wiring issues. Gm will void the warranty.
I used two wire bilden and bought a trailer connector that plugged into the putco 4 pin, and ran it up through the stake pocket and in the bed from a hole I found. Nice and neat and tidy.

Agree, but I'll take the risk. Pretty low, as tapping only 1 wire, not splicing.

I also disconnected the driver seatbelt chime. No warnings now. My last one would quit after the first round of dings and just keep the red seatbelt sign on the dash. Now, there is nothing, no warning light and no chimes. Really nice.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i did the same with seat belts chime
truck honks now when i close the door sitting in the seat thinks i left the keys in it
be interesting what the black box will say if ever in accident and truck doesnt know anyone was driving

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i did the same with seat belts chime
truck honks now when i close the door sitting in the seat thinks i left the keys in it
be interesting what the black box will say if ever in accident and truck doesnt know anyone was driving

That's interesting, how did you disable the chime? I unplugged the connector under the seat & do not get honked at. Have not disconnected the passenger side yet as I wanted to be sure the drivers side would work correctly without unwanted consequences such as you are having.

Top Bottom