Helmet Laws

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say its survival of the fittest. Dont wear your skid plate not my concern. You can't fix stupid even with the help of government legislation.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is, you and I have to pay for those that don't off themselves and just cost a couple hundred thousand tax dollars in the hospital. If it was a matter of making those who chose not to, (wear helmets, seatbelts, stop smoking...) pay for the hospitals themselves then I'd say go for it, but it doesn't work that way.

Waxy

Reaction score
Ever hear of personal responsibility people? Why does everyone need the gov't to think for them, can't anyone do that for themselves anymore?

Some of you need to mind you own damn business. Whether or not I choose to wear a helmet is none of your business, and I don't need any of you, or the gov't, to make that decision for me or try to impose your will on me. (I wear one 90% of the time, but it's MY CHOICE to not wear it the other 10%.)

There's only two lines of reasoning to support this law, and neither one holds up to scrutiny.

#1 - Helmet use is a good thing, and mandatory helmet use will save lives. Yeah, it *might*, but the responsible people are wearing helmets already. OHV deaths due to head injuries are less common than getting hit by lightning or getting shot. Is this law really going to change that? I know, I know, if it saves only one life it's worth, that's the line I'll get back. That's a purely emotional response. What else should the gov't ban or legislate that might save one life a year? How about a law enforcing helmets while driving your car, I bet that would statistically save more lives a year than making it mandatory on OHVs. You want to really save lives, ban OHVs altogether, along with sleds.

#2 - The cost to the healthcare system. What do you think costs the healthcare system more money every year, people riding OHVs without helmets, or people eating at McDonalds? There are a nearly infinite number of things that people CHOOSE to do every day that cost the healthcare system a ton of money. Where do you draw the line on what's acceptable? Who's going to draw those lines? Everyone here supports helmet use, so they don't see the issue, but where does it end? What thing will they seek to ban or legislate next? OHV use on public lands? That would save the healthcare system a lot more money than just requiring helmet use...

It's a continual erosion of our rights and freedoms in the name of "our benefit" or "our protection" and people buy into it completely without thinking about what the consequences are. Educate OHV riders and promote helmet use, I'm all for that. In the end though, it's a individual's choice as to whether or not they wear one.

Waxy

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valid points you make there, and I'm all for personal choice, but I still like the idea of a helmet law. Here's why:

1) Guy "choses" to go for an OHV ride with no helmet
2) Guy crashes OHV and dies.
3) Greedy lawyer finds a legal loophole and sues OHV manufacturer over the "senseless" death off said guy caused by "dangerous" machine.
4) Other greedy lawyers use the case as precedent and file their own lawsuits
5) Manufacturers loose millions of dollars paying out lawsuits
6) No more OHVs

It's only a matter of time before something like this happens. If implementing a helmet law has even the slightest chance of preventing this, then isn't it worth dealing with the little bit of extra weight on your head or messing your hair up or whatever BS excuse you pull out when someone asks why you aren't wearing a helmet?

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also not an issue, helmet is weher it is supposed to be, on my head, not in my truck or tied to the rack,
dont understasnd why people think its cool to not where one, im a catch 22 withe legislation,
k, enough already with the laws and........but in another sense we are the ones that are causing it by not wearing helmets, people are dying from stupid accidents, and alot of them had a way better chance of makin it, if they had a brain bucket on.......... Just sayin...
Sorry, touchy subject..lost a couple of friends cause they had " i ride everyday, i know my machine, nothing will happen " attitude and decided to not wear the buckets...

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valid points you make there, and I'm all for personal choice, but I still like the idea of a helmet law. Here's why:

1) Guy "choses" to go for an OHV ride with no helmet
2) Guy crashes OHV and dies.
3) Greedy lawyer finds a legal loophole and sues OHV manufacturer over the "senseless" death off said guy caused by "dangerous" machine.
4) Other greedy lawyers use the case as precedent and file their own lawsuits
5) Manufacturers loose millions of dollars paying out lawsuits
6) No more OHVs

It's only a matter of time before something like this happens. If implementing a helmet law has even the slightest chance of preventing this, then isn't it worth dealing with the little bit of extra weight on your head or messing your hair up or whatever BS excuse you pull out when someone asks why you aren't wearing a helmet?
There have already been many accidents with people either wearing or not wearing helmets. Even if one is wearing a helmet, he can still sue the manufacturer. Its one thing to advocate wearing helmets while riding, but quite another for some of the peeps on here to crap on those that don't feel the need for a law or choose not to wear them. It's also a real stretch to say those that don't wear helmets are going to get our riding areas shut down. Go ahead and make your point, but it isn't necessary to badmouth those that don't agree with your viewpoint. I know riders that don't wear helmets and some that do. I still believe it's their choice.

robb

Reaction score
From what i see in the responses here,it sounds like everyone is opposed to the current helmet law for motorcycles as well,as i see no difference between the two.What you do on private land is your own business but when you start riding on public roads or crown(natural) areas i think the government should be stepping in. Isn't that what they are elected to do?

I always wear mine other than working on private property so this would just put on paper what i already do.

Klondike Mike

Reaction score
Ever hear of personal responsibility people? Why does everyone need the gov't to think for them, can't anyone do that for themselves anymore?

Some of you need to mind you own damn business. Whether or not I choose to wear a helmet is none of your business, and I don't need any of you, or the gov't, to make that decision for me or try to impose your will on me. (I wear one 90% of the time, but it's MY CHOICE to not wear it the other 10%.)

There's only two lines of reasoning to support this law, and neither one holds up to scrutiny.

#1 - Helmet use is a good thing, and mandatory helmet use will save lives. Yeah, it *might*, but the responsible people are wearing helmets already.
OHV deaths due to head injuries are less common than getting hit by lightning or getting shot.
Is this law really going to change that? I know, I know, if it saves only one life it's worth, that's the line I'll get back. That's a purely emotional response. What else should the gov't ban or legislate that might save one life a year? How about a law enforcing helmets while driving your car, I bet that would statistically save more lives a year than making it mandatory on OHVs. You want to really save lives, ban OHVs altogether, along with sleds.

#2 - The cost to the healthcare system. What do you think costs the healthcare system more money every year, people riding OHVs without helmets, or people eating at McDonalds? There are a nearly infinite number of things that people CHOOSE to do every day that cost the healthcare system a ton of money. Where do you draw the line on what's acceptable? Who's going to draw those lines? Everyone here supports helmet use, so they don't see the issue, but where does it end? What thing will they seek to ban or legislate next? OHV use on public lands? That would save the healthcare system a lot more money than just requiring helmet use...

It's a continual erosion of our rights and freedoms in the name of "our benefit" or "our protection" and people buy into it completely without thinking about what the consequences are. Educate OHV riders and promote helmet use, I'm all for that. In the end though, it's a individual's choice as to whether or not they wear one.

Waxy

Interesting statistic. Ya mind telling me where you got that from or provide a link? Or did ya just pull that out of your arse...

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i think you have been caught hypocritical one

I hope they push this through. If you can afford to buy the machine you can afford the helmet.

Funny you say that when sig shows you Not wearing a helmet..

:eek:Just for the record I am one of the stupid ones..not wearing a helmet even though wife threatens:lol2: to beat me with my brand new helmet:rolleyes:

funny, if thats you in your pic, wheres your helmet,
you bought the quad wheres your helmet............just sayin

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I| had a brain fart and my picture taken at the same time, sorry. The fact is that I wear my helmet 99% of the time.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if a law is needed. Those who don't wear a helmet now doesn't mean they are going to comply. In private riding areas the owner could certainly said no PPE no riding. But I still figure when a person hits their head that should teach them.

Including myself, I know how I ride so If I want to make it back to the truck at all a helmet is a nice security blanket.

Mud Mum

Reaction score
Always when I'm riding.

A friend was horsing around with his girlfriend's little quad did a wheelie. It was so much lighter than his that it went completely vertical. I don't know how he didn't hit his head, but he was really lucky.

I agree with you guys about no more laws. People have to take some responsibility. I saw a phrase which read "so many people lack common sense. We should remove all the warning stickers and see what happens". I thought that was hilarious.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people do not realize that a helmet increases your risk of breaking your neck. So if you wear a helmet make sure you have some sort of Neck Support System. And a chest protector is way more beneficial than a helmet. The list is endless, lets hope it does not get all in forced.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a dumb question here. Why is it law to wear one on a bicycle and not a quad.( right cant fix stupid) ????? Go figure govt is slow on this one.

Mines on my head when on machine.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's only law for children to wear helmuts while bike riding, not adults.

I liked life more when there weren't so many laws.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people do not realize that a helmet increases your risk of breaking your neck.
That is complete and total bupkus, stop talkin out your azz and do some research. Anything built in the last 20 years sit far enough up the back of your head, and are light enough, that there is no statistics supporting your statement. Next your going to try and tell me that they interfere with your peripheral vision too. If you don't like them and don't want to wear one, just say so, but you sound like my drunk grandfather trying to convince the world that seatbelts are dangerous and smoking NEVER caused cancer. rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me reword that to more accurately express what i was trying to get across. If you wear a motocross style helmet while quadding, that these helmets have more neck injuries than any other helmet. That is why the industry came up with a solution to try and fix this problem. Do not wear these neck supports if you wear a bicycle helmet, no helmet or motorcycle helmet. You must read all the manufactures warnings. You can fix ignorance.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all the laws the Gov`t comes out with soon we won`t be able to sit on the toilet without having to wear a seatbelt. But I always wear a helmet and make my kid wear one too. We don`t need the gov`t telling us how to think, we need to think for ourselves.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that you are missing the big picture here. Making a law to wear a helmet is more for the children and young people who take direction from parents and guardians. Bad habits come from those who are making an impression on the young ones. If you choose to ride without a helmet, it should be your choice, but children won't see it that way and you know it. Is is a shame that there are a few neanderthals who insist on being a thorn in everyones a$$ but consider that they not really interested in the common good. It is a subject that a few of my bike and Quadding friends disagree vehemently on. The majority see the reason and the minority see it as interfere:nono:nce

Top Bottom