Gps

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a gps to use for sledding. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the garmin etrex 20. Seems like a good gps for the price but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for feature wise. The montana ones look good too but I was hoping not to spend that kind of money on a gps.

Mattjames

Reaction score
its a good unit. your going to spend some money on maps though. the base maps are not very good. I cant remember which maps i bought of hand but it came with Alberta and BC maps, came with everything you need from cut lines, logging roads, ATV and Sled trails.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is something I'd be interested in too. I would like to buy a GPS and have no idea where to start. I would like one that has a large screen, waterproof, altimeter, compass, be able to track where I'm going, where the truck or cabin is, and...... ? I like the Rhinos for the feature of being able to see where the others are, but pretty pricey.

Maybe some of the guys that use GPS's a lot can chime in on what features you look for, or use all the time, versus what features are on your GPS that you find you never use? Is it better to have buttons, or touch screen? Colour, or just black and white? Internal memory, or SD card? Li-Ion battery or regular AAs?

Thanks.

Last edited:

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Bought a rhino 650 last year awesome unit love the tracking options and the radio is mint to have as we'll wish I would have bought off eBay to get the 5 watt unit as the Canadian version is only 2 watt. But all in all it rocks. If ur going to spend 300 what's another couple hundred to get a unit that does everything I think. Seems cheap if u get lost from ur group. IMO

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the Garmon etrax 30 just for that reason. Seems to be a great GPS.. if I could figure it out.

SparkBuilder

Reaction score

This is something I'd be interested in too. I would like to buy a GPS and have no idea where to start. I would like one that has a large screen, waterproof, altimeter, compass, be able to track where I'm going, where the truck or cabin is, and...... ? I like the Rhinos for the feature of being able to see where the others are, but pretty pricey.

Maybe some of the guys that use GPS's a lot can chime in on what features you look for, or use all the time, versus what features are on your GPS that you find you never use? Is it better to have buttons, or touch screen? Colour, or just black and white? Internal memory, or SD card? Li-Ion battery or regular AAs?

Thanks.

Yeah it's a bit confusing with all the different options lol. The rhinos do seem pretty nice but I already have a set of radios and the other guys I ride with don't have them so tracking other people doesn't do me much good in that case.

its a good unit. your going to spend some money on maps though. the base maps are not very good. I cant remember which maps i bought of hand but it came with Alberta and BC maps, came with everything you need from cut lines, logging roads, ATV and Sled trails.

Yeah seems like no matter which garmin I've looked at there's going to be an added cost for maps, guess that's just another cash grab for them. Really all I want it for more than anything is the back track feature so if we get socked in on a day of riding I can still find my way back to the staging area. I assume the basemap would work alright just for that purpose, would be nice to have more detail though, especially having the trails

I bought the Garmon etrax 30 just for that reason. Seems to be a great GPS.. if I could figure it out.

I looked at the 30 too I suppose for the addition of the digital compass and the data sharing its probably worth the extra $100 over the 20 model

Last edited:
Top Bottom